Smyrna/Nashville area - I need some help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Tennessee Jeep Forum > Smyrna/Nashville area - I need some help

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 10-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
coles78cj7
1978 CJ7 

Wj Smyrna/Nashville area - I need some help

Looking for someone who might be able to come out and give their opinion on whether the 4.0 in my girlfriend's 2002 Grand Cherokee is toast or not.

I really don't have a clue what I am doing.
She doesn't want to dump a lot of money into this jeep because it has 189k miles on it, but she doesn't have money for a new car right now either.

She had a heater core leak for a over year, but it was minor (floorboard always dry, only smell and film on windshield). About 3 - 4 weeks ago either the leak got worse or she had not checked the coolant in a while and the jeep overheated. She was only about a mile or two down the road, so she drove it home. We added coolant and let it sit overnight. In the morning her floorboard was soaked.

So we spent some time researching and youtube watching, and changed the heater core and evaporator cores ourselves (not a fun job, but no where near as bad as I thought it would be). Everything seemed good for about a week until she was heading out of Smyrna on 24 and the engine started sputtering. She said the temp gauge was only at 210 until she pulled off the road, then it shot up and the Red temp light came on (smoke blowing behind the vehicle).

Long story short it was determined to be a head gasket. When I pulled the head off there was some water on top of the pistons, and some surface rust on the cylinder walls. I plan on taking the head to be cleaned up and magnifluxed, but I don't know what I am looking at or for with the cylinder walls.

I am also not sure how in the hell I am going to get it all put back together.
If anyone lives in the area, and would be willing to help it would be greatly appreciated.

PS - I have beer!

coles78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
shatteredsoul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Did you get this straightened out yet?? Sent you a PM!
shatteredsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
coles78cj7
1978 CJ7 

Not yet. The head ended up being cracked. I have a replacement ordered through clearwater, and hopefully it will be on my doorstep by Saturday. I think I have most of it figured out, with the exception how in the hell I am going to get the bottom manifold bolts back in. I have seen a lot of people suggest bolting the manifolds onto the head before installing it to the block, but getting to the exhaust pipe bolts seems just as difficult. Going to try and put it all back together Saturday if the head arrives on time. I will check out that site, thanks for the response!
Unread 11-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
shatteredsoul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That sucks, I have a TJ and the manifolds arent that hard I used a swivel and extension on a few of the bottom bolts. You have to make sure the intake is seated on the two little dowels/pins on the head. Dont let the intake simply hang there or you can easily break it(ask me how I know). Its all a tight space and Im sure a GC is even worse. I used a jack and pc of wood after lining up my exhaust pipe while I got the two bolts started on the output flange. Wish I was more help, currently got my hands full with a Corolla, ughhh!
shatteredsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
coles78cj7
1978 CJ7 

Well got it all put back together. Haven't had a chance to drive it much, just idle and a little bit around the neighborhood. It had a lifter ticking for a bit, but it went away after everything warmed up. Changed the oil after it got up to operating temp. Had bought some cheap oil for this purpose. Not sure if it was necessary or not, but I just wanted to use the cheap oil as a flush basically to get out any dirt or contaminants that may have fell in during the swap. Going to drive it some this evening, before I give it back over to my girlfriend. So far no puddles in the driveway or evidence of leaks.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.