Smokie Mountains, July 4th weekend - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Tennessee Jeep Forum > Smokie Mountains, July 4th weekend

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 05-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
accord_ingly

Smokie Mountains, July 4th weekend

Good evening, folks.

I am a newbie to Jeeps and mildly experienced in 4X4'ing and would appreciate some help. My wife and I and two friends want to do a "July 4th Four'by'four Jamboree" We want to go out to Gatlinburg tn and rent a couple of Jeeps to go four wheeling.

I have done some 4x4'ing in the service and used to have a 4X4 (Best time I ever had!) but not the others in the group.

I am looking for any advice on trails, scenic spots, fun 4x4 places, activities suggestions, and any other suggestions. Appreciate any advice.

Gil

accord_ingly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
Bam4739
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well of course just driving the strip with the top down is fun. Roaring fork road nature trail is nice too. Paved road but still nice. It's the road between bubba Gumps and the space needle. Just follow it past the hotels and follow the signs. I have recently heard of a 4x4 rd in Cades cove. When you take the sharp left in front of the visitor center it's the rd straight ahead that's always closed. My aunt went before all the bad storms hit in her Durango and liked it. I'm thinking of trying it this weekend if the storms we've had haven't closed it back down.
Bam4739 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2011, 10:06 PM   #3
BAMAJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Check this site out: http://www.gsmnp.com/pages/auto_tour.html

The wife and I are heading up there some time this summer and we're going to hit as many of these as we can. Have fun and post pics when you get back!
BLUE JEEP #237
BAMAJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 12:41 AM   #4
Bam4739
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I live in Knoxville so I'm only like 30 miles from the GSM. Today we took a drive around Cades cove. We went back through the loop and turned on rich mt. Rd. While it's not a typical off roaring trail it was still very beautiful and away from all the tourists. It just a gravel rd that winds the mnt. And into Townsend. I'd highly recommend taking it.
Unread 06-13-2011, 12:43 AM   #5
Bam4739
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Forgot to mention. Parsons branch rd is closed cause of tornado damage. It starts half way through the cove and takes you to cherokee NC.
Unread 06-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
accord_ingly

Thanks to all for the great information!
accord_ingly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.