Smokey Mountain trails? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Tennessee Jeep Forum > Smokey Mountain trails?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #16
Turbobearcat
2005 KJ Liberty 

We ended up on a road called Tobes Creek road which is the roughest road my Jeep has touched, steep dirt/rocks(not gravel by any means) and ruts but man you will get some greate pictures out that way..
I will try and post pictures later tonight.

Turbobearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #17
tj98
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just looked Tobes Creek Road up on Google maps. It's close to where were staying in a few months. Look forward to seeing your pictures.

Great information in this thread!
14 JK Unlimited - Wife's
tj98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 08:17 PM   #18
Turbobearcat
2005 KJ Liberty 

Tobes Creek Road

Click on the video below
Unread 04-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #19
Turbobearcat
2005 KJ Liberty 

Rich Mountain Road and Cade's Cove Pictures.

Unread 04-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #20
Turbobearcat
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj98 View Post
Just looked Tobes Creek Road up on Google maps. It's close to where were staying in a few months. Look forward to seeing your pictures.

Great information in this thread!
Tobes Creek has many good places to take pictures, the road is rough and near the end very steep but as you see in my pictures the water falls are worth the drive, the road itself is about 2-3 miles long (I think) but well nothing major that would require 4x4 unless you go over into the creek..then you need a tow truck
Unread 04-19-2011, 04:33 AM   #21
MVines
2010 JK Wrangler 

Digging up an older thread, but we are heading to the mountains and staying in Wears Valley... any other suggestions for not so traveled roads would be great.

Thanks!

Melissa
MVines is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #22
cheftrail
2005 TJ Wrangler 

if you are going to visit the smokies on the tennessee side there's not much as far as trail riding goes(not until you get to the cumberland gap, but if you are going to be in wears valley you have to check out cove mtn.
Unread 05-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #23
BAMAJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheftrail View Post
if you are going to visit the smokies on the tennessee side there's not much as far as trail riding goes(not until you get to the cumberland gap, but if you are going to be in wears valley you have to check out cove mtn.
Any more info on Cove Mountain?
BLUE JEEP #237
BAMAJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #24
tj98
1999 TJ Wrangler 

We were in Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge last week and ran several of the back roads. The ones Turbobearcat ran look like they have been graded / rocked since he was there. Still some great scenery!

We started out the week in Cades Cove and did Rich Mountain Road. Here is a shot from Rich Mountain looking back into Cades Cove.

Later in the week we ran Tobes Creek. I came in from Hwy 32 and had a hard time finding it. I took this pic and went on then backtracked and found this is one of two turrets that shows where the road is. The other is so covered with vines you can't see it from the road.

This old shed was right in the middle of the road. I took this shot on the move sorry for the slight blur.

Same waterfall as Turbobearcat but it is worth seeing again

Tobes Creek Road comes out in Waterville, we saw several river raft boats and a few kayakers in the water. We followed Waterville Road over to the Big Creek Picnic area.

After leaving the picnic area I saw a sign for Cataloochee NC. I had asked the Park Rangers in Gatlinburg about this area. This was about 15 miles of unpaved road, freshly graded so no issues.

A lot of pretty scenery........

A few one lane bridges.

And a waterfall

We got to Cataloochee just as a big storm came up. Lots of hiking in this area and some neat old homesteads to look at. This barn is at the main visitors center. We found an elk inside of it taking refuge from the storm

Extremely low light and extremely long exposure time. I had the camera resting on a short wall. Most if not all of the elk have tracking collars on them, this guy could have came out a door and been right next to us at any time.
14 JK Unlimited - Wife's
tj98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #25
Turbobearcat
2005 KJ Liberty 

After two years I ran across the other pictures somebody took after I was there in early April...Big Difference in the amount of GREEN the hills take..

Going back twice this year... let's see when this time.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.