knoxville area wheeling - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Tennessee Jeep Forum > knoxville area wheeling

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 02-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #16
Smittyman
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I would also like to say welcome! I was in the same boat as you, just an XJ. And nice ZJ by the way, very clean.

Windrock is incredible. From west Knoxville, it's probably around a 25 minute drive max. It's huge mountain, tons of great people, and tons of trails. Going with someone experienced on the trail is key. Here's a few tips and pointers.

-Recovery gear is always a plus. Rather safe than sorry. You'll be good to go with a rear trailer hitch and front tow hooks.

-Armor is another case of rather safe than sorry. If you don't have any, you can just pic up a transfer case skid and gas tank skid. With that you are covering the vitals.

-You already have a CB. Most clubs require a CB. The trail leader (along with everyone) will ya where to watch out for stuff, and just to chit chat. It's pretty cool.

You can wheel without recovery gear and armor, but it's just safer that way. Like you, I need to drive this thing home Just go out and have fun!

Unread 02-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #17
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome dude!! Thanks!!! :-)
Unread 02-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #18
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet XJ btw!!
Unread 02-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #19
Smittyman
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks! And you're welcome And just to persuade you more on Windrock....

They're insane
Unread 02-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #20
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

o wow. how cool!!
Unread 02-28-2010, 10:40 PM   #21
WJVol
2007 JK Wrangler 

i used to go there in my WJ when it was stock, and did just fine....even on some rocky trails, we ran 3 all the time and never got any damage.
WJVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2010, 11:41 PM   #22
kyledogg88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yea the wind mills out there are awesome there are a bunch that run along the top of the mountains
kyledogg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #23
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

sweet!!! thanks for all the info guys.
Quick questions-
What is everyone's opinion on Royal Blue? And has anyone ever been to bluff mountain?
Unread 03-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #24
WJVol
2007 JK Wrangler 

I am also curious as to what people think of royal blue.
WJVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #25
74CJMatlock
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevLaredo View Post
Also has anyone been here-

Brimstone Recreation

or here

royalblue?
I have very limited experience with both. My RB experience is limited to the sand mine and to the area East of I-75 at the Huntsville/Oneida Exit. The latter I found dusty and uninteresting, though it might be relatively fun for a stockish GC, since it would present a little bit of challenge, and you can roll the windows up to keep out the dust. I would not recommend the sand mine for your build. That's a pretty hard trail. You'll need at least one locker or a winch, IMHO. I'm not familiar with Bluff Mtn.

Brimstone I really liked, but again, I'm not sure about taking a relatively new GC there. The trails are basically designed for ATV use. While you can get a Jeep through them, you might wind up with some extra pinstriping that you weren't counting on.

I'd suggest Windrock for your first excursions. It has trails to fit every level of rider, and there are lots of folks around to help you out if you get in over your head.

I second hooking up with TNVJC or KnoxWranglers.
Unread 03-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #26
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Very great info. Thanks again for all the great responses guys!
Unread 03-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #27
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I hate to resurface an old thread but et4wd.org is not working. Does anyone know why?
Unread 03-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #28
rayzdjp1
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well, @ 11:00 am this morning et4wd.org was working. So I dunno!
rayzdjp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 09:27 AM   #29
QuickSilverCon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Debbie must be updating the site or having some server problems or something. I can't get on right now either. (could just be my internet connection).

I live in South Knox and wheel windrock pretty often, I'm also a member of ET4WD. I was on 33"s when I joined last year and was one of the smallest rigs there. I'm on 35"s now and locked f/r and still feel small compared to a lot of the trail rigs we ride with. However, they are the BEST group to wheel with. They will never leave you on a trail, no matter what happens. They have professional mechanics and (very good) amateur mechanics in the group that can fix just about anything. Last time I went out I busted my oil filter and 2 of the guys drove all the way from the back of the park (trail 12) to Oliver Springs to get me a new one.

Windrock is fun, but it does get expensive. a stock grand could stay on most of the main roads and moderate trails, and maybe some of the more fun trails if it is dry out. It all depends on your comfort level and experience are. I wouldn't go out until you got recovery points f/r. I have gotten stuck in some nasty situations and can't imagine what we would have done with out solid tow hooks.

My roommate (adudenamedsean) and I bought season passes this year, once it gets warmer and school lets out, we will probably be up there all the time. I don't claim to be an expert on the park, but would be willing to show you some of the trails if you would like.
QuickSilverCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #30
mudmonkey2400
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilverCon View Post
Debbie must be updating the site or having some server problems or something. I can't get on right now either. (could just be my internet connection).

I live in South Knox and wheel windrock pretty often, I'm also a member of ET4WD. I was on 33"s when I joined last year and was one of the smallest rigs there. I'm on 35"s now and locked f/r and still feel small compared to a lot of the trail rigs we ride with. However, they are the BEST group to wheel with. They will never leave you on a trail, no matter what happens. They have professional mechanics and (very good) amateur mechanics in the group that can fix just about anything. Last time I went out I busted my oil filter and 2 of the guys drove all the way from the back of the park (trail 12) to Oliver Springs to get me a new one.

Windrock is fun, but it does get expensive. a stock grand could stay on most of the main roads and moderate trails, and maybe some of the more fun trails if it is dry out. It all depends on your comfort level and experience are. I wouldn't go out until you got recovery points f/r. I have gotten stuck in some nasty situations and can't imagine what we would have done with out solid tow hooks.

My roommate (adudenamedsean) and I bought season passes this year, once it gets warmer and school lets out, we will probably be up there all the time. I don't claim to be an expert on the park, but would be willing to show you some of the trails if you would like.
Hate to get off topic, but how did you bust your oil filter?

Pics, or it didn't happen! (kidding..)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.