knoxville area wheeling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Tennessee Jeep Forum > knoxville area wheeling

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 02-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

knoxville area wheeling

Anything in or around the knoxville area? I really want to take my Dad offroading this summer and we considered windrock but he is worried about a couple things-

-He thinks windrock is too far from knoxville if something breaks on my truck.
-I have a stock 98 4x4 grand cherokee with the only mods that will help offroad being a set of buckshot mudders and a cb to call for help. I am planning on outfitting it with front and rear recovery points and possibly a small lift before i go (maybe 2").
-the price of admission

that being said, how much fun can someone expect to have at windrock/coal creek in a stock or close to stock height truck with no lockers?
Is there a closer cheaper place to go just to get my feet wet in the offroading world? And is there a 4x4 club around here that would have a stock or close to stock grand cherokee in their group ride or do i have to stick with going to construction sites and other places i probably shouldn't go just to find some mud around here??? I have an addiction to driving in mud so you'll never be able to keep me on the pavement but i really want to be responsible about it without breaking the bank too much. I'm in college and i work at a deli so.....

Thanks for any advice in advance.

EDIT- here are some pics of my truck if it helps-

Last edited by KevLaredo; 02-25-2010 at 10:16 PM..
KevLaredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
kyledogg88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i live in crossville and ive been to windrock a couple times. its really not that far from Knox. Its in Oliver Springs and your rig would prob be ok out there just don't attempt the rock crawling course its pretty wicked but its cool to drive up and see the windmills. Its mostly a long road that heads up the mountain. Ive only been out there on 4 wheelers but i'd say you would be ok
kyledogg88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2010, 10:19 PM   #3
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the reply! You know anyone who is ever up for some wheeling? We really don't want to go alone unless there are ALOT of trucks and people out there who can help if something goes wrong.
Unread 02-25-2010, 11:34 PM   #4
kyledogg88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

well if you go in the spring and summer i'd say that there are tons of people out there
kyledogg88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

cool. i really want to know some of the other places to go wheeling around here if anyone knows. I think i am regretting the fact that i got my first 4x4 in tn and not florida because i can think of about a dozen legal places to wheel for free down there. Please dont take that as a knock on Tennessee! TN is my home but i seriously feel boxed in as far as offroading goes out here. Can someone change my mind?

Last edited by KevLaredo; 02-26-2010 at 01:26 AM..
KevLaredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 01:38 AM   #6
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

ok i was watching some windrock videos and im sure my truck can make it through most of the trails i saw other than the rocks. And i dont like rocks anyway. Just mud. It looks frickin fun. I'd really like to go with a group though. If there are any groups that are going this summer and would have me and my rig along please pm me and we'll exchange info.
Unread 02-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Also has anyone been here-

Brimstone Recreation

or here

royalblue?
Unread 02-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
rayzdjp1
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome!!

Welcome to the East Tn area!! Well you've started out very good by asking the right questions. Windrock is one of the better areas in our area. Lots of good trails, and they are seperated by - easy, mild, difficult and extreme. When you go to get your permit, I'd suggest getting a MAP. It shows all the trails, their difficulty, what allowed on them, how long they are and the such.
The next thing is do a bit more research.....starting with some local sites, www.TNVJC.com ; www.SFWDA.org; www.et4wd.com and you'll find a few other local clubs around. Also check out Coal Creek's website maybe you'll get some more useful info.
Anyways.....you'll be really surprised what your "Grand" will do out on the trails. The few I've seen out there, I was surprised! Just start with the easier trails then work your way up. And NEVER go out alone. At Windrock (aka Coal Creek) you should always be able to find someone to ride with.
Also see if their are any "grand cherokee" specific websites in our area. Surely their are a few out there. One last note....the "jeep jamboree" has their annual event @ Windrock this yr will be April 22-24. I usually see 2-3 Grands there each yr. (Jeep Jamboree USA) {registration fee is $195.}
Later, Ray

Last edited by rayzdjp1; 02-26-2010 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: changes
rayzdjp1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you so much! The thing i love about Tennessee is how friendly everyone is! It is that good ole southern hospitality that we lost years ago down in old Florida. Thanks for the great info Ray! I love how well the grands do stock too. I'm really impressed by mine's ability after years of messing around with jacked up chevy trucks that get stuck twice as much as my grand does(actually my grand has never gotten stuck lol). The reason i don't like the jamboree is that it is 195 per person! I'll start thumbin around some of those forums you mentioned though and see if i can't find some folks to wheel with. Thanks again. And if anyone knows of a club that has low mod requirements around here id still love to know! ET4WD says 33" minimum tires i think and that's bigger than i want to go on my DD.
Unread 02-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #10
Sporer65
1993 ZJ 

First time I went to Windrock in my ZJ I was on 2" BB, 31"s, and open/open and spent all day on the trails with no problem. You just have to pick the right trails to go on and you'll be fine.

Only suggestions would be sure to get some recovery points just in case and pick up some armor. Especially if you don't lift it, you will be hitting the undercarriage.

1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8: Rear Aussie, 3.5" Lift, 31" M/Ts

GA Trail Riders
Sporer65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2010, 10:24 PM   #11
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

sweet. i planned on that anyway. I wanna grab some skid plates and bow shackles and hopefully a 2-3" bb. cool wagoneer btw bud.
Unread 02-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #12
TNeustadt
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome back to East TN, I've been up there quite a bit and would always be willing to accomany 'ya. Been up there a few times with Ray and he is right, don't go alone. There are various trails that are just scenic rides and there are trails way too difficult for any vehicle that can be driven on the highway. Mostly plenty of mud...sticky clay.You'll be fine and would have plenty of fun. It is just on the north side of Oak Ridge, so maybe 45 minutes from downtown Knoxville? It is aprox 86,000 acres so a map is a good idea. Annual pass is $86 or daily $17... and that is per person. ET4WD is a good club, but mostly highly modified rigs. There is a club KnoxWrangler which has slightly modified to stock Wranglers, I'm sure you'd be welcome to join in for a trail ride sometime. Lets plan somethin'....you too Ray!
TNeustadt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 02:57 PM   #13
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds great man! Thanks for the info! Hopefully we can get some guys from Knox together for a ride this summer!
Unread 02-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #14
mudmonkey2400
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You'll do just fine at Windrock. Just purchase a map, and stay on the trails labeled "Moderate".

If any of you guys plan a wheelin' trip, give me a shout.
Unread 02-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #15
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

sweet man. thanks if i hear something ill let you know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.