Eastern Tennessee questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Tennessee Jeep Forum > Eastern Tennessee questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 03-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #16
flip2spin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkb View Post
Just what we need, another yankee to drive the prices up and *****. Don't any of you all like it up north?

flip2spin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #17
LivEviL
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Check out Seymour. Still in Sevier county, so the property taxes are very low. It is 20-25 minutes to downtown Knoxville, Sevierville, and Maryville. Plus, you avoid all of the tourist traffic.
2006 LJ Rubicon 6-speed manual; Warn Rok Krawler Front and Rear Bumper; WARN 8000m winch; OME Long Travel Nitro Shocks; OME 933 Front Coils; OME 949 Rear Coils, Rokmen engine, tranny, gas tank skid; Metal Cloak front and rear fenders; Rokmen upper and lower control arms; Kilby steering box skid; Currie steering; Currie Anti-Rock; Trail Ready HD 17" Beadlocks; Goodyear MTR 35x12.50R17; Rock Hard Sports cage and rocker slider; Corbeau XRS seats; RCV Performance front axle; ARB 35 spline rear locker; ARB CKMTA dual compressor; GM LQ9 6.0l
LivEviL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2012, 01:39 PM   #18
ilikethemalot

I guess it really depends on if you want to live within city limits or just in the county. One place to consider is Maryville. It's smaller than Knox, and doesn't have near as much traffic but is still very convenient to the National Park, Little River, and Knoxville is a short drive away. Everyone's gonna have a different opinion on where has less/more tourism and is farther/closer to the best stuff so I'd just start visiting cities or looking at houses until you know the area and can pick on your own!
Cheers and Good Luck
ilikethemalot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #19
Bannedone
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I live in the Wears Valley area of Sevier County. I can be in Maryville in 25 min and West KNoxville in 45 min. I can also be in Cherokee, NC in 50 min. I love it here, we moved in 1983 when I was 13 from k town. The mountains are beautiful and if you get with locals and actually listen and not tell us "how they did it where you're from" there a several local areas to wheel in this area. A lot of them border the park and can take you to North Carolina. The traffic... is not great, but you learn to get used to it. It's not the deal breaker everybody thinks it is. You learn when it is real bad and go the other way. Rod weekends mean a Maryville/Knoxville trip for me...
Bannedone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2012, 01:55 AM   #20
Einstein36
2003 WJ 

Talking

There is a little bit of everything here in East TN. I have lived in several states in the South, and Florida, within the past 8 years. I was finally able to come back to Knoxville in January of 2010. I love it here. I hated Orlando and Atlanta with a passion.

But I digress, the traffic here in Knoxville, is nothing compared to either of those places. The most annoying thing you have to worry about is the 5pm rush around the Cedar Bluff Rd and Walker Springs Rd exits on I-40.

As far as entertainment and things to do, there are events happening all the time in this area. Yes, there are the tourist trappings of Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg that have moved toward Sevierville, but the areas surrounding them is breathtaking. Off the top of my head in the past few weeks, there have been professional hockey, professional indoor football (though the team is in its inaugural season and doing very poorly), the Dogwood Arts Festival, lots of construction at the Knoxville Zoo with new exhibits coming in, obviously there is Dollywood with it's plethora of events and entertainment, the Tennessee Smokeys, located near Sevierville/Pigeon Forge, are a minor league Cubs affiliate, the Knoxville Expo Center is home to several large events, including gun shows, home shows, and boat shows, and the Smokey Mountain National Park can only speak for itself.

We live near Oak Ridge, a hub of technology and research, and the University of Tennessee, a place where you can find sports of all forms, for example, the Allen Jones Aquatic Center is the annual host for the SEC championship swimming and diving competition and Thompson-Boling Arena consistently has bands and artists from Cirque du Soleil to Keith Urban to WWE and monster truck rallies.

If downtown is more your style, Market Square is the perfect spot to meet some friends and walk to a number of venues, including the historic Tennessee Theatre whose event list currently includes Styx, Jane's Addiction, the Spring Dancers concert, the Knoxville Symphon, and Alice Cooper. You can attend the Farmer's market on Wed and Sat mornings, May through November. Grab some sushi at Nama, or maybe some Italian at Oodles Uncorked. Possibly a coffee and some chocolate at, well, Coffee and Chocolate. Take a walk or a bike ride near the river on the Neyland Greenway, or have dinner on a murder mystery cruise on the Star of Knoxville riverboat.

I work full time on a minimal salary and have recently returned to UT as a student. And though I haven't seen or done everything, there is plenty. The long and short of it is that if you can't find something to do in Knoxville and the surrounding areas, you aren't trying.

*edit* I have attached a few pics from my phone from this past year. All from in and around Knoxville, the Grist Mill in particular is from the Norris Watershed where I explored some trails two weekends ago in my new Jeep.
322382_2881997703521_1667456128_2572213_330721840_o.jpg   336213_2184638029965_1667456128_2212222_1925850_o.jpg   412681_3056521506507_1667456128_2635246_1016977441_o.jpg   416452_3519685245311_1667456128_2825488_817305599_o.jpg   466154_3546775922561_1667456128_2832159_157215931_o.jpg  

Einstein36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #21
krasnake
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannedone
I live in the Wears Valley area of Sevier County. I can be in Maryville in 25 min and West KNoxville in 45 min. I can also be in Cherokee, NC in 50 min. I love it here, we moved in 1983 when I was 13 from k town. The mountains are beautiful and if you get with locals and actually listen and not tell us "how they did it where you're from" there a several local areas to wheel in this area. A lot of them border the park and can take you to North Carolina. The traffic... is not great, but you learn to get used to it. It's not the deal breaker everybody thinks it is. You learn when it is real bad and go the other way. Rod weekends mean a Maryville/Knoxville trip for me...
I know Im off topic but where are places to wheel down there. I come down that way atleast twice a year from southwest va and I have never been able to find anything really in the sevierville, pigeon forge, or gatlinburg areas?
Unread 08-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #22
Atchley

Good thing I live way back in the mountains. I live in Sevier county but on the Cocke county line so it's closer for me to go to Newport and I'd rather go there anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krasnake View Post
I know Im off topic but where are places to wheel down there. I come down that way atleast twice a year from southwest va and I have never been able to find anything really in the sevierville, pigeon forge, or gatlinburg areas?
Unless you know someone that knows where to go you won't find the good spots.
Atchley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.