Eastern Tennessee questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Tennessee Jeep Forum > Eastern Tennessee questions

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still Available

Unread 12-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
mytjtoy
CJ--my drug of choice!

1976 CJ7 

Eastern Tennessee questions

OK so I am starting to look at different places for retirement (8 yrs to go). I'm getting a tad tired of the harsh winters and have always love the Smoky Mountains and they do not have such harsh and long winters there plus the cheap cost of living is hard to beat. I have been looking at some homes in Sevierville. Anybody from around there that can give me pros and cons about that area or any around there? Homes are dirt cheap there. Gorgeous mountain view home with all tongue and groove inside for about $150,000 (that is mega cheap). Property taxes are low also I hear.

http://seviervillehomes.idxre.com/id...=98&pid=167012

mytjtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
DustyRoad

If you like tourist areas then Sevierville, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are for you. Huge amount of traffic volume on small roads.
If you want the beauty and not the hassle of the tourist, there are plenty of great locations throughout East Tennessee that are just as pretty or more so than the Sevierville area.
There are plenty of mountains and lakes all around the eastern part of the state.
Come down and spend some time driving around, great people and great communities everywhere.
Good luck
DustyRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
jomps

oh yeah I moving to sevierville soon and cant wait....
jomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
Longy515

DustyRoad is right. Sevierville is the tourist trap of East TN. Enormous traffic volume at almost all times in Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. Other than the mountains, some outlet malls, and a theme park, there is not much in that area that is worth seeing more than once. If you want access to the mountains and the entertainment without the large volume of tourists, I would suggest moving to Knoxville (45 min drive from Sevierville). That being said, move to either northern suburbs or western suburbs.

Another area to consider that has easy access to both the mountains and the convenience of a mall would be Alcoa or Maryville in Blount County. Those are both about a 30 minute drive directly south of Knoxville, and about the same distance to Sevierville. They also have very easy access to the mountains through Townsend and Tellico, the latter of which has a great 4-wheeling area.

If you really want to live in the "country," and still have convenient access to Sevierville, consider Jefferson County which is north of Sevier County. It is much less populated, has a couple of quaint little towns, and easy highway and interstate access no matter where you live in the county. Much of this area is known as the "Land Between the Lakes."

If you have any questions, I would be glad to help as I just bought a house in the same price range as you mentioned 2 years ago.

Check out this website: http://public.kaarmls.com/ . It has almost all of the real estate listings for the area and I found it very helpful in my home search.
Longy515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
jomps

ahhh knoxville blows if you dont have a boat or arnt in college
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
Longy515

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomps View Post
But Sevierville blows worse if you live there permanently.
Longy515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
Unii
1995 YJ Wrangler 

tellico has no 4 wheeling area lol
Unii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #8
jomps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longy515

But Sevierville blows worse if you live there permanently.
whatevs, im not trying to live there forever but you got the hills to play in...knoxville is in a valley that has bad air and a whole bunch of nothing for me anyway
Unread 01-05-2012, 06:24 AM   #9
REDnBLUES
1977 CJ7 

That place was a cool place to grow up - way back in the 70's but now, I just like to visit. I cant stand the traffic just trying to ctoss the parkway!
Unread 01-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #10
HitowerInc
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If you live in the right spot you can get around without getting into the tourist traffic. However the cost of living is not that great. I moved here from about 30 miles away and all my bills are now double what they were. The Walmart here even has higher prices than every other Walmart.
HitowerInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
DustyRoad

There isn't a whole lot of places to really use your four wheel drive in the Smokey Mountains, it being a national park and all, they kind of frown upon going off road.
North of Knoxville you have a hugh area for four wheeling, Royal Blue, Brimstone, Windrock and the Sundquist Wildlife Management area, combined it is about 170,000 acres. They all adjoin or are very close to each other. The trails are everything from gravel roads to extreme stuff.
Their are other areas around also, those are just the ones I'm most familiar with.
DustyRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #12
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomps View Post
Knoxville does not blow...

I have lived all over east Tennessee. I don't mind Sevierville, but there isn't much to do on a Friday night there. Knoxville has great live music, food and events. Plus, if you want to go wheeling, Windrock is just a little ways out towards Oak Ridge...
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:17 AM   #13
johnkb
1979 CJ7 

Just what we need, another yankee to drive the prices up and *****. Don't any of you all like it up north?
johnkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #14
KevLaredo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkb View Post
Just what we need, another yankee to drive the prices up and *****. Don't any of you all like it up north?

Unread 03-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
jzoomer
1998 ZJ 

look into Greene County, its around 1-1.5 hrs from sevierville/gatlinburg, .5-1hr from johnson city,knoxville... my hometown you really cant beat it IMO could be a bias thing but thats where i was raised, and i will be moving back within a year i hope, prices are very beautiful, you can be on one side thats farm land covered, another side thats city, and the other side is on the foothills of the mtns. i love it a little bit of everything, people are typically friendly, drugs has not overrun everything like most places these days which is a plus..
jzoomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.