East TN Mechanic/4wd shop - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Tennessee Jeep Forum > East TN Mechanic/4wd shop

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 10-12-2012, 04:47 AM   #1
JClark
2001 WJ 

East TN Mechanic/4wd shop

Just moved to town a few weeks ago, need to find a good shop. I've got the WJ parked right now waiting on an oil analysis, I think I'm bit by the cracked head. Anyhow, does anybody have a good shop in the Tri-Cities they recommend for auto repair? I don't care about about price, I care about QUALITY. Are there any good 4wd shops in town? Thanks for any advice!

Unread 10-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
cwmedic
2012 JK Wrangler 

I don't know about the head replacement. 4 Wheels Unlimited is pretty much the biggest place around. I'm not sure if they have any real local competition as far as strictly 4wd goes.
cwmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
JClark
2001 WJ 

Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out. There seems to be a couple shops in town i can check out too. I'm looking into just doing a complete engine swap, I'll probably just pick the place closest to the house that warranties their work.
Unread 11-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
whyrun

Check out RPM Offroad on Volunteer Parkway in Bristol TN, they are a full service shop. They should be able to set you up with anything you need. They are also full time racer's...

http://www.rpmoffroad.com/
whyrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 04:45 AM   #5
JClark
2001 WJ 

Thanks for the tip, I'll give them a call too...once I get it started again (whole other headache).
Unread 02-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #6
SKINUM
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyrun
Check out RPM Offroad on Volunteer Parkway in Bristol TN, they are a full service shop. They should be able to set you up with anything you need. They are also full time racer's...

http://www.rpmoffroad.com/
I'd definitely go RPM before ever thinking about 4wheels unlimited. I don't trust 4wheels unlimited at all.
SKINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
JClark
2001 WJ 

Thanks for the tip skinum. A lot's happened since Christmas, finally got her back on the road and all but it's still consuming coolant. Awesome. Probably looking to just do a complete rebuild on the motor. After all that crap is done and over with I'll be back to looking for a long arm kit... and a million other things haha. I'll check out RPM, see how it looks over there. We're hoping to move up to the Bristol TN, area once our lease is up. Are there any 4x4 clubs in the area? I'd like to find some good trails to check out and get to know the local area better. I'd also like to get involved in the 4x4 community, help out with conservation too.
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
SKINUM
2005 LJ Wrangler 

There is Appalachian offroad & 4x4grace (christian based). I've watched both of their forums & neither club seems all that active with wheeling.

Appalachian seems to wrench on members rides occasionally & 4x4 Grace has a lot of meet & greets. They're a few members in the 4x4 grace club that goes out but there isn't much middle ground. It's buggie trails or fire roads & a lot of those rides aren't group sponsored. It's just a few people deciding to ride & go without any forum activity/announcement.

There are some clubs in the Knoxville area but ya may not wanna travel that far.

Trails---Bumpus (Unicoi county), Callalantee in Mountain City (told this was closed but I'm not sure), Chinquipin (buggies), Black mountain offroad park in Harlan, Ky. A few scenic drives but not really wheeling trails.

I'm sure there are more but I've not been able to connect with many people that seem interested in riding or know of any trails.

I'd like to find some different trails locally. I'd like to drive 20-30 minutes & ride but I haven't found many options.

Black Mountain is fun depending on the trail maintenance. Buggies really tear things up over there.
SKINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
JClark
2001 WJ 

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it! I'll start looking into the local areas a bit more for sure. Need to do a few things in the next couple weeks, or at least before spring and I'll be ready for the trails. My Jeep's not set up for anything hardcore yet so even just some logging roads for now to get out and see some stuff would be great. Thanks again for the tips on trails and for RPM.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.