who nows the GWNF forest? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Virginia Jeep Forum > who nows the GWNF forest?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-02-2008, 07:59 PM   #1
iwishihad1

who nows the GWNF forest?

hey everybody

usually whenever me and my group of buddies go wheelin we go to the George washington national forest. we can usually find some good mud holes and stuff (devils bathtub) mostly. but are there any real challenging runs there. im talking about stuff to push jeeps built to push 36-38s?

thanks

[CENTER]1995 fire red XJ, new 4.0, ARB safari snorkel, sye, front DS, aussie locked 8.8 5:13s 38 SXs, trussed/locked 44 front, hydro assist, DOM steering/COLOR]
YJ. 91 body, body off resto, crate chevy 350, 700r tranny, 2 inch springs, SOA, ford 9 rear, dana 44 front, both detroits, cage, 4:88s, and 36X14.50s. strictly street queen
iwishihad1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2008, 08:54 AM   #2
Srhmn8r

nothing that I know of other than the deep mud holes you mention. Nothing legal anyway. Have you been on Dictum?
Unread 09-03-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
iwishihad1

ran dictum one time, but our whole group had to turn around at the ledge at the top. it looked like somebody tried to block the trail by placing a random 3-4 foot tall bolder right in the middle of the trail, and there was no way around it. try to go right, and you roll off the hill side, and to the left was just a wall
[CENTER]1995 fire red XJ, new 4.0, ARB safari snorkel, sye, front DS, aussie locked 8.8 5:13s 38 SXs, trussed/locked 44 front, hydro assist, DOM steering/COLOR]
YJ. 91 body, body off resto, crate chevy 350, 700r tranny, 2 inch springs, SOA, ford 9 rear, dana 44 front, both detroits, cage, 4:88s, and 36X14.50s. strictly street queen
Unread 09-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
Srhmn8r

That's odd. I was there about 6 weeks ago and there was no such boulder. The property owner at the bottom of the hill is supposedly cool with offroading there....
Unread 09-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
iwishihad1

huh....somebody must have moved it then. last time i ran the trail i was with a group of guys with strokers, long arms, 36-38s, 44s, etc, and nobody would touch it because of that rock. good to hear though. it looked pretty fun if we could get past that. is there anything more challenging after you get up past the first ledge?
Unread 09-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #6
bremz8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

go in the bath :P i did the hole to the right of the bath with 30.5's didnt work out so well
Unread 09-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #7
Srhmn8r

Couldn't tell ya. I've only been to the rocks, looked and them, and went back down, haha. I could make it up, but I'm afraid to try without a spotter.

I know that if you're coming from the bottom and going up, it eventually connects with Second Mountain Trail and eventually Long Run Rd. Neither of which is too challenging. There's plenty of forest roads on the map that I haven't been on, but I don't think there's much to them. When I see people talking about running GWNF, they typically talk about the flagpole/reddish knob area, dictum, dry river, and kephart trails. And I think I've been on all of those. You could call the Ranger's office @ 540-432-0187. They may tell you something...not sure.
Unread 09-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #8
iwishihad1

dang..i was hopping there was some hidden really challenging trails around there...guess not. but thanks for the info anyways

about devils bathtub. ive done every hole around it, succesfully, but haven't been able to make it through bathtub yet. and i think ive given up. last time locked f/r on 35s i made it about 2 feet, with still another 50 feet to go probably. oh well. even when im finished with my build and might have 37s i doubt itll be enough clearance
Unread 09-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #9
Srhmn8r

I just went out Rt 33w and took the Switzer Lake Trail to meadow knob and then came back down through the Union Springs Trail. I haden't been that way in a while. There's a few rocky parts that required 4wd and I actually turned on the rear locker on one portion. The trail has gotten rougher than I remember. Still pretty easy. There is one decent obstacle near "stonecamp" up close to flag pole knob. Just a small rock obstacle that has a bypass. Video can be seen hee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMvr1_7rA4k

Video of dictum. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VQ1V1kSV18

Funny video of a Frontier getting NOwhere http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoafoSZF7NA

Lots of other videos on yourtube. just search GWNF
Unread 09-11-2008, 05:40 PM   #10
jeep11484
2014 JK Wrangler 

We are looking to go out in about 2 weeks. I live off of 33 near Stanardsville. What is close to me that i could go to. The trails you were talking about sound pretty good. My wife and I will be going. Any suggestions on where to go. Nothing to crazy b/c it will just be her and I. Let me know what you think.
jeep11484 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.