Virginia Inspection ?s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Virginia Jeep Forum > Virginia Inspection ?s

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
ablaydes
2003 WJ 

Virginia Inspection ?s

New to the whole 'inspection' deal, as I lived in Alabama before, was wondering what they will be looking at before I take to get it inspected, and does it cost to have a inspection done ???

03' Jeep WJ|4x4 select-trac|Kolaks "Magic Setup"|OME HDS|Bilsteins 5100's|3/4 spacers front|Moog STB SS|Zone 3" sway links|Homebrewed quick Disco's|17" Moabs|32" BFG's KM's|Hella 500ff's|Rear Oem receiver|Front custom tow Points|Smittybilt receiver 3/4 D-ring|Limited headlights and Grille|

My Build thread
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/ablaydes-wj-build-thread-1382113/[/url]

ROLL TIDE ROLL ! ! !

Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said...I'm too drunk to taste this chicken !
ablaydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
sitedzn
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Can't even remember the cost anymore. Gone up a few times. I think it's $16 now.

And what they look for is dependent on the vehicle (IIRC). But basically all lights work, horn, wipers, tread depth, exhaust leaks. Well, I'm pretty sure that's about all they checked on mine last time. But the list is incredibly long if they do it by the book. No "real" emissions testing - i.e. they look at it to make sure you have the stuff there, but no smog tests like other places (THANK GOD!).

I have 2 due this month. We shall see how my old girl does with all the emissions stuff ripped out from under the hood.
[COLOR="red"]Big Daddy Off Road rock sliders[/COLOR]
35x12.5 BFG A/T KOs, XRC-8000

[COLOR="red"]I love installing new stuff.[/COLOR]
sitedzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #3
dpara
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Its pretty basic stuff as mentioned. Here's a link to the page that gives all the details of the 23 items they look at. http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.sh...pectionProgram

The site says its $16 and I'm pretty sure the station passes that cost thru to you so no added fee. Its an annual inspection. The emissions inspection is done every two years but only required if you live in one of these areas

•the counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, or Stafford
•the cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas or Manassas Park
dpara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Eagle112199
2008 KK Liberty 

I moved from PA to VA four years ago and it was a painless process. I think and I may be wrong, that you needed proof of insurance for the first inspection to move the car into the state. I may be wrong but it was easy for me.
Unread 06-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
Tippyman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am a VA state inspector. It is $16.

The "strictness" of the inspection, quite bluntly, varies from place to place. Some places harp on every stringent detail while others won't. I doubt a 2003 WJ will have a problem unless there are blatant problems.
Tippyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
BenmannEJ1
1997 ZJ 

I used to state inspect. I still have my license but i quit working in shops so i can get in shape to leave for the USMC in Nov. haha

But really, what ive noticed from shops (from me working personally and friends) is to just make sure all of your safety items work right. IE brakes, suspension, steering, tires, and lights. Most other things they will more then likely let go
BenmannEJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #7
Jon-joN
1997 TJ Wrangler 

They are supposed to check an make sure no suspension or steering components are loose, broken/ damaged. Each place will vary slightly depending on the inspector. Most don't like any unapproved stickers on the windshield but many won't care. Like said just basic stuff, lights horn turn signals, tires, exhaust(cat,muffler,tail pipe), no major cracks in the windshield
Jon-joN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Cost +

I knew at least one shop in NOVA where i could get an iffy car through with a
the fee + a case of Miller Lite.

Back a number of years ago had a shop claim my horn wasnt loud enough.

So I drove down the road a couple miles to VA State Police barracks on Braddock Rd. Talked to the trooper in charge of the VA State Inspection program locally. I went back out side and beeped my horn and he could hear inside. He called the gas station and the inspector wasnt pleased to see me.
I got my inspection sticker. Station lost their inspection privileges for a year.

I remember the good ole days when you had to get your vehicle inspected every 6mos. My dad thought it was a great opportunity let me drive by myself down to the gas station ironically the same one that failed me years later on Saturday morning to sit in line and get car inspected. @#*&^ and it was the end of the month too.

With lifted or modified vehicles the inspectors can sometimes be real jerks.
Know the rules and regs. Sir your car is too low. No it not see page ____!
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm also a state inspector and honestly as long as the vehicle isn't blatantly unsafe, it passes. I'm not going to fail you for something stupid like a cracked tail light. As long as the suspension and steering are in decent shape, lights and horn work, and the brakes are above 2/32's you pretty much are guaranteed a sticker. That's not just me, that's pretty much everywhere. Unless they're dickheads.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh**s.
chevy2169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
wilywillie
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2169 View Post
I'm also a state inspector
Hook me up
I used to go to Pearson, and they're pretty good about it all, too. Several Jeep guys there

http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilywillie View Post
Hook me up
I used to go to Pearson, and they're pretty good about it all, too. Several Jeep guys there
Come on by my shop. Complete Auto of Richmond.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh**s.
chevy2169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #12
Tippyman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilywillie View Post
Hook me up
Which Pearson? I may or may not work for an undisclosed Pearson dealership.
Tippyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
JJeeper09
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2169 View Post
Come on by my shop. Complete Auto of Richmond.
I am having some trouble with State inspections. I have a fuel cell, which evap lines are still intact and no CEL or codes thrown. Could you PM so i could discuss some things with you?

Cell number in the PM would be appreciated too.

Its been too longs since ive driven my Jeep.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.