JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Virginia Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f327/)
-   -   Virginia Inspection ?s (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f327/virginia-inspection-s-1339793/)

ablaydes 03-07-2012 05:59 PM

Virginia Inspection ?s

New to the whole 'inspection' deal, as I lived in Alabama before, was wondering what they will be looking at before I take to get it inspected, and does it cost to have a inspection done ???

sitedzn 03-07-2012 06:30 PM

Can't even remember the cost anymore. Gone up a few times. I think it's $16 now.

And what they look for is dependent on the vehicle (IIRC). But basically all lights work, horn, wipers, tread depth, exhaust leaks. Well, I'm pretty sure that's about all they checked on mine last time. But the list is incredibly long if they do it by the book. No "real" emissions testing - i.e. they look at it to make sure you have the stuff there, but no smog tests like other places (THANK GOD!).

I have 2 due this month. We shall see how my old girl does with all the emissions stuff ripped out from under the hood.

dpara 03-08-2012 06:35 AM

Its pretty basic stuff as mentioned. Here's a link to the page that gives all the details of the 23 items they look at. http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.sh...pectionProgram

The site says its $16 and I'm pretty sure the station passes that cost thru to you so no added fee. Its an annual inspection. The emissions inspection is done every two years but only required if you live in one of these areas

•the counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, or Stafford
•the cities of Alexandria, Fairfax, Falls Church, Manassas or Manassas Park

Eagle112199 06-26-2012 10:03 AM

I moved from PA to VA four years ago and it was a painless process. I think and I may be wrong, that you needed proof of insurance for the first inspection to move the car into the state. I may be wrong but it was easy for me.

Tippyman 06-27-2012 09:27 PM

I am a VA state inspector. It is $16.

The "strictness" of the inspection, quite bluntly, varies from place to place. Some places harp on every stringent detail while others won't. I doubt a 2003 WJ will have a problem unless there are blatant problems.

BenmannEJ1 07-30-2012 11:35 AM

I used to state inspect. I still have my license but i quit working in shops so i can get in shape to leave for the USMC in Nov. haha

But really, what ive noticed from shops (from me working personally and friends) is to just make sure all of your safety items work right. IE brakes, suspension, steering, tires, and lights. Most other things they will more then likely let go

Jon-joN 07-30-2012 04:47 PM

They are supposed to check an make sure no suspension or steering components are loose, broken/ damaged. Each place will vary slightly depending on the inspector. Most don't like any unapproved stickers on the windshield but many won't care. Like said just basic stuff, lights horn turn signals, tires, exhaust(cat,muffler,tail pipe), no major cracks in the windshield

Dave2002ti 08-20-2012 06:56 PM

Cost +

I knew at least one shop in NOVA where i could get an iffy car through with a
the fee + a case of Miller Lite.

Back a number of years ago had a shop claim my horn wasnt loud enough.

So I drove down the road a couple miles to VA State Police barracks on Braddock Rd. Talked to the trooper in charge of the VA State Inspection program locally. I went back out side and beeped my horn and he could hear inside. He called the gas station and the inspector wasnt pleased to see me.
I got my inspection sticker. Station lost their inspection privileges for a year.

I remember the good ole days when you had to get your vehicle inspected every 6mos. My dad thought it was a great opportunity let me drive by myself down to the gas station ironically the same one that failed me years later on Saturday morning to sit in line and get car inspected. @#*&^ and it was the end of the month too.

With lifted or modified vehicles the inspectors can sometimes be real jerks.
Know the rules and regs. Sir your car is too low. No it not see page ____!

chevy2169 11-15-2012 05:21 PM

I'm also a state inspector and honestly as long as the vehicle isn't blatantly unsafe, it passes. I'm not going to fail you for something stupid like a cracked tail light. As long as the suspension and steering are in decent shape, lights and horn work, and the brakes are above 2/32's you pretty much are guaranteed a sticker. That's not just me, that's pretty much everywhere. Unless they're dickheads.

wilywillie 11-16-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy2169 (Post 14461998)
I'm also a state inspector

Hook me up:cheers2:
I used to go to Pearson, and they're pretty good about it all, too. Several Jeep guys there:cool:

chevy2169 11-19-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilywillie (Post 14467522)
I used to go to Pearson, and they're pretty good about it all, too. Several Jeep guys there:cool:

Come on by my shop. Complete Auto of Richmond.

Tippyman 11-22-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilywillie (Post 14467522)

Which Pearson? I may or may not work for an undisclosed Pearson dealership.:p

JJeeper09 04-17-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy2169 (Post 14478954)
Come on by my shop. Complete Auto of Richmond.

I am having some trouble with State inspections. I have a fuel cell, which evap lines are still intact and no CEL or codes thrown. Could you PM so i could discuss some things with you?

Cell number in the PM would be appreciated too.

Its been too longs since ive driven my Jeep.

The time now is 08:22 PM.