VA vehicle inspection - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Virginia Jeep Forum > VA vehicle inspection

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

VA vehicle inspection

I'm moving to Alexandria in a month and I have to transfer the Jeep from MD to VA. I know there is a ton of crap I have to do to get it legal, but I'm semi worried about the inspection because I hear VA is pretty strict. My Jeep passed in MD, but then it only had a 3" lift and 32" tires, everything else stock. Now it has the lift, 32x11.5" mud tires, no flares, trimmed fenders, and a Rigid bumper. The tires stick outside the fenders a few inches so I'm wondering if I'll get busted for that.

Are there any inspection shops in NoVA that are mod friendly?

Unread 09-11-2008, 07:53 PM   #2
Jwood621
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure about the mod friendly shops, but you should be able to find a good ol'boy shop a little farther down 95
Jwood621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #3
tdogg55555
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Im in the process of getting my license, allready passed the test and everything......waiting on the trooper to come by to give me my practical examination. With your 32's, ud have no problem at all....especially if you come by my shop and you let me inspect yours!
Unread 09-12-2008, 11:18 PM   #4
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

^^ You serious about having a shop? I just want the whole registration and stuff to go smoothly. I know VA is anal about anything to do with transportation.
Unread 09-13-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
tdogg55555
1996 XJ Cherokee 

You shouldnt have any problems with registering and all, I havnt.... Im a technician at a shop in Suffolk, Va. And where I work/live, theres no emission laws whatsoever other than having a cat obviously. Va is not that bad with modified rigs, or at least from what Ive seen in my last 22 years here lol.
Unread 09-15-2008, 07:31 PM   #6
BomberJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you know more about your rig than the inspector your good. In the VA Beach area its not hard. Ive taken my civic that I built to a few different inspection places over the years and every one of them didnt know ****. They have a list that they follow and have very little knowledge about the cars themselves. I did a basic motor swap and some other ****. They always have a dumb question about the car and the questions lead me to believe they have little to no clue what they are talking about

Never get between a man and his Jeep - Stacey David.

03 Jeep TJ

/l ,[_____],
l---L -OlllllllO-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)

98 Jeep XJ

_(o)_)--(o)_)----)_)
BomberJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2008, 12:21 PM   #7
bremz8
2006 TJ Wrangler 

inspections are easy the emmisions is what will get ya. oh yeah bumper height is 28 inches
Unread 09-26-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
Heavy_Metal
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Another "good ole boy" place is Deatley service in Colonial beach. I have a F-350 that has a bumper height of 38" and they passed me. Jeep wasn't a problem.
Unread 09-26-2008, 06:06 PM   #9
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Might want to double check that 28" bumper height.. I believe that's for "Trucks" 4000lb GVWR. Our Jeeps are categorized as "cars" in VA.. bumper height 22".

I've been here in VA for about 22 years and have owned a lifted Jeep/4x4 for 20 of those years. I've never really had a problem with inspections. They go down the list.. most inspection stations don't worry about bumper height or fender flares.. but some of the State Troopers do.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2008, 06:53 PM   #10
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

I doubt they'll care. The inspection is mostly looking for supposed 'safety' issues that are mostly mechanical (I failed for busted motor mounts, but they didn't say a thing about my handbrake not working). Alteratively, you don't need a safety inspection to register a vehicle. After I moved here I went for over 6 months without one until a State Trooper gave me a ticket for it. Then all you have to do is pass inspection before your court date to not get fined.

#27. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2008, 04:21 PM   #11
steve_d_c
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I was in your same situation today. So figured i would give my 2 cents and where i went today. I have found one in Chantilly and not too far from ALexandria. Took my Jeep in today for the inspection and it failed on the tires sticking out past the fenders 4+ inches which it wasnt. Took it home and measured it was exactly 4 inches. Anything over 4 inches supposedly requires clearance lights. Also failed on what he said was too many headlights. Have 4 KC lights and 2 OEM fog lights and the regular headlights. He said I had 8 headlights since my KC lights werent covered!!! No idea where he came up with that. Then went to Chantilly(High Tech Truck and Auto) and had them do the inspection. The guy at the counter Bobby(I think) said tires were fine and grabbed some covers out of the back and stuck them on my lights before his guy inspected it. Afterwards took the covers back and passed my Jeep.
steve_d_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #12
olds442
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i've never had a problem getting inspected, my tires stick out wayyy far, prob a good 5in. Only thing you have to do is cover up any spotlights you might have. Im at 6.5 lift and 33s. Where i get my cars done, they tell me to pull in, check my lights all around, horn,brakes,tires, wiper blades, and im out
VT
olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2008, 05:14 PM   #13
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here is the VA State Inspection Code Book that everyone goes by.

http://leg1.state.va.us/000/reg/TOC19030.HTM#C0070

What's funny is that coil spring spacers aren't supposed to pass(I'm sure nobody knows about this though, I've never heard of anybody having problems):

19VAC30-70-110. Steering and suspension.
1. Any modification has been made that affects normal functioning of the shock absorbers. The inspector should operate the vehicle when in doubt. (If there is no evidence of the convolutions (coils) of the spring hitting one another, one pair (2) of nonmetallic coil spring stabilizers may be present in each of a vehicle's front coil springs, provided the installation of the stabilizers does not cause the springs to be higher than their original height.)

yet there is NOTHING against full-hydraulic steering

Also, tires can stick out up to 4 inches, but to get around that, you can install clearance lights and they can be as far out as you want:

19VAC30-70-180. Clearance lamps and reflectors.
Inspect for and reject if:

1. Any motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer or other vehicle is not equipped with clearance lamps if the vehicle is over seven feet wide or if any portion extends four inches or more outside the front fender line

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.