Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

UFWDA 2nd Annual Virginia Wheel - In Trail Ride

11K views 54 replies 13 participants last post by  RichardD 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey again folks. Guess what?..... IT'S BACK!!! March 12, 13, and 14th.

The United Four Wheel Drive Association Wheel - In is coming back to Oak Ridge Estate, previous site of 6 Camp Jeep Virginia events.

The trail system consists of 17 trails, totalling 42+ miles, with creek crossings, steep hill climbs, and a few rock climbs. There is very little mud (unless it rains, then watch out). The trails are fairly easy with some harder obstacles sprinkled throughout. They can be run stock as there are bypasses at the tougher sections. It's tight for full sized 4WDs though. This is a great opportunity to wheel these trails as Oak Ridge is private property and does not allow open wheeling.

You can follow the link to view the flyer for details, and register also http://www.ufwda.org/. Click on the appropriate links to the upper right or call 1/800-44UFWDA to register too. It costs $120.00 for members of UFWDA, (you'll need your membership number to register either online or by phone to receive your discount) or $160.00 for non members (Part of the difference in price is that you become a member of the UFWDA for 1 year). This covers the vehicle, land use, the driver, a meal ticket for dinner Saturday night, a tshirt, and new this year, on site camping. Additional meal tickets and/or tshirts can be purchased from the "Shop" link on the website or by phone for an additional $15.00 each.

You can stay on top of things by clicking the "Forum" link on the UFWDA main page and going to the General Discussion area for all the latest details.

I'm sure the raffle will be awesome again this year too.

Sign up as soon as possible as there are limited spots and registration closes March 1st if it doesn't fill up before that.

Don't miss the chance to wheel some beautiful trails, not to mention support a great cause.

Hope to see you there. Post up if you're planning on coming.

Be well,
Richard

See less See more
#8 ·
Fromme: Looking forward to meeting you also :thumbsup:.

Oak ridge is a great place to wheel! I went to the Annual ride there in September of last year. It was pretty much my first trail ride and I had a blast wheeling with Richard and the Lost Jeepers :thumbsup:
Tyson: Jill and I enjoyed getting to meet and wheel with you. Can't wait to watch you conquer CJ5 Hill this trip! No pressure, :rofl:!

why are these things always on a thursday friday and saturday? I'd love to go, but getting two days off of work without pay really isn't going to happen for a wheelin' trip,,,especially if I cannot wheel on sunday too!
Hey UPSucks. I believe that they use Sunday as a travel day. Thursdays events don't start 'til 4PM. All you would really miss is Registration and the Vendors, you could do Registration Friday morning and then check them out Saturday night. You could arrive either Thursday night after work, or early on Friday morning, as the wheeling is actually on Friday and Saturday. As long as you got there by 7:30AM, they probably won't close Registration 'til 8, you would be OK. They haven't posted a schedule yet, but I know a couple of folks that had the same issue last year and were able to work it out that way. I would suggest that you call the UFWDA office number, 1800/44UFWDA and ask Marti Pugh just to be sure.

I show up Thursday evening and eat Fridays pay, but it's worth it to wheel here!

Hope some of you folks from the KMA Krew can make it :).

Be well,
Richard

#4 ·
yeah this is a great place we had a blast there in sept.

a few from my krew are making plans... i may miss is:(

#7 ·
I usually just take off Friday and leave Thurs after work. Yea, Fri is unpaid for me, but as slow as the automotive field is these days, I wouldnt be losing much. Much Much more exciting to be wheeling at Oak Ridge all Friday than busting my tale to make a couple ours at work...(the joys of working commision).

#9 ·
Even if you can't get there until Friday evening, it's still worth it IMO. Sat is the 'big' day with the catered dinner after a day of wheeling, the band, and the great raffle.

#11 ·
Hey UPSucks. I believe that they use Sunday as a travel day. Thursdays events don't start 'til 4PM. All you would really miss is Registration and the Vendors, you could do Registration Friday morning and then check them out Saturday night. You could arrive either Thursday night after work, or early on Friday morning, as the wheeling is actually on Friday and Saturday. As long as you got there by 7:30AM, they probably won't close Registration 'til 8, you would be OK. They haven't posted a schedule yet, but I know a couple of folks that had the same issue last year and were able to work it out that way. I would suggest that you call the UFWDA office number, 1800/44UFWDA and ask Marti Pugh just to be sure.

I show up Thursday evening and eat Fridays pay, but it's worth it to wheel here!

Hope some of you folks from the KMA Krew can make it :).

Be well,
Richard
Thanks for the info Richard. I was thinking that they started out on the trails on thursday.

I actually am debating on going to this event,,,especially since it is around my birthday. Will have to see what the wife says.

Thanks again,

Tony

#12 ·
Hope you can work it out Tony, I know that you won't regret it. IMO, Oak Ridge has some of the best trailriding in Virginia. Any more questions, just let me know.

Be well,
Richard

#13 ·
Hey again folks. I've had some questions regarding trailriding at the Wheel - In.

No the trails are NOT run like at Camp Jeep Events, where you get to pick 2 trails and that's it. You'll get to ride most of the trails at Oak Ridge, I won't say all because it's almost impossible to run all 17 in 2 days.

Be well,
Richard

#16 · (Edited)
Update

Some folks and their families would prefer not to wheel the entire day, so new this year is the choice to wheel in the morning, afternoon, or all day long. There will be events happening for those that don't choose to wheel all day.

For those of you that are coming and would like to, you can go to your profile, and at the Events Attending section, below your Interests on the left, you can click on Join an Event to add yourself as an attendee for the Wheel - In.

Be well,
Richard

#17 ·
Richard,
You beat me to the shameless BTT.
I see that Jeep Jamboree is going to be there in the time slot we had last year for the wheel-in in mid-april. They are up to $265 per person now. Us in march, JJ in april...Va4wd in sept ish....hmmm when are they going to fit CJ in????
Maybe the Jeep higher ups should have saved some of the big money they spent advertising during every commercial of the x-games and put it into CJ instead...

#18 ·
Hey Mike, shameless BTT :rofl:.

Well, at this point Camp Jeep is supposedly still on for July, as Chrysler hasn't cancelled it yet, but they aren't making any plans either, other than reserving Oak Ridge last year, so who knows.

Be well,
Richard

#20 ·
Hey Tyson. I know my Jill is, we're in for 2 full days of wheelin' for sure! Will this be your Jills first wheelin' trip or has she been before? Is she getting excited about it yet (I know you are! :laugh:), as it's only a month away?

We're looking forward to wheeling with you again, and getting to meet her as well.

Be well,
Richard

#22 ·
Onsite Primitive Camping

Thought I should provide some information regarding the onsite camping deal.

Primitive Camping:

Porta potties will be provided.

Grey water disposal tanks will be provided.

Trash dumpster will be provided.

No showers will be provided.

Please note: Any type of camper, RV, whatever you call it, that contains a water-flushed toilet, AND a lavatory, AND a shower AND a kitchen sink, are PROHIBITED. If it doesn't have ALL of these items, then it's OK.

Camping will be in the infield at the racetrack.

Be well,
Richard

#23 · (Edited)
VIRGINIA WHEEL-IN 2009 SCHEDULE of EVENTS

Registration is still open and there are spots left.

The following is the tentative schedule for the Wheel-In event:

If there is a star next to the schedule there is more information regarding that event at the bottom of the page.

Thursday

12:00 p.m. - ** Camping site opens - you can set up your camp site starting at noon on Thursday.

3:00 p.m. - Registration for the Trail Chef Competition opens at the registration tent in the vendor area of the event

4:00 p.m. - Registration for all participants opens
Trail Chef Contest Begins
Vendor area opens

4:30 p.m. - ** Vehicle Line up for the Best Of Contests - Categories will be announced later.

7:00 p.m. - Trail Chef Contest ends and judging begins

8:00 p.m. - Announcement of Trail Chef winner and Trophy presentation for best vehicle category.

9:00 p.m. - Free Raffle

Friday

8:00 a.m. - Drivers meeting for AM and All Day Trail Rides begins

8:30 a.m. - Am and All Day Trial Rides Begin

10:30 a.m. - Humpty Dumpty Competition

12:00 p.m. - Vendor Area Opens

12:30 p.m. - Afternoon Drivers meeting begins

1:00 p.m. - Afternoon Trail Ride Begins

2:00 p.m. - Backwards Driver Competition

5:00 p.m. - Driving competitions

7:00 p.m. - Live Entertainment with Bobby Graves around a campfire!!

Saturday

8:00 a.m. - Drivers meeting for AM and All Day Trail Rides begin

8:30 a.m. - Trail Rides Begin

10:30 a.m. - Driving Competition

12:00 p.m. - Afternoon drivers meeting
Vendor area opens

12:30 p.m. - Afternoon Trail Ride Begins

2:30 p.m. - Driving competition

4:00 p.m. - All Trail Rides return

4:30 p.m. - Driving Competition

6:00 p.m. - Catered Dinner

7:00 p.m. - Band and Raffle

** Campsite will open at 12:00 noon on Thursday however you do not need to get to the site at 12:00 noon to be able to camp at the event, that's just the time that it opens.

** Best of Vehicle categories will be announced at a later date.

This schedule is the tentative schedule and is subject to change.

Be well,
Richard

#27 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Registration has been extended

Registration has been extended to Monday March 2nd, and there are still spots left. Simply go to the website http://www.ufwda.org/, or call 1 800 44UFWDA.

I will add once again that you DO NOT have to be there on Thursday the 12th, yes Registration does open at 4PM, you will only be missing the Vendors, which will be there each day after the trailriding anyway.

You CAN show up Friday morning at 7:30AM and register then before the trailriding starts.

Come join us for some of the best trail riding that Virginia has to offer :2thumbsup:.

Be well,
Richard

#28 ·
lodging

Gang,
if you're looking for a place to stay, i just rented a cabin at Crabtree Falls campground. they have 3 cabins left. they're around $50./ night. The cabins are heated, as well as hot showers...

She said they're about 20 min to Oak Ridge..

brian

#31 ·
Gang,
if you're looking for a place to stay, i just rented a cabin at Crabtree Falls campground. they have 3 cabins left. they're around $50./ night. The cabins are heated, as well as hot showers...

She said they're about 20 min to Oak Ridge..

brian
We're staying there too. Thanks for the heads up. Be there Thursday morning sometime.

#32 · (Edited)
Hey Mike,

We wheel with The Lost Jeepers, look for us, we'll have about 25 vehicles or so. I'll be in the yellow TJ though 'stead of my YJ.

To answer your other question from the event page, there's around 200 vehicles registered.

Look forward to meeting you.

Be well,
Richard

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.