Troutville local looking for close by trails - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Virginia Jeep Forum > Troutville local looking for close by trails

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 08-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
icebird1976
1994 ZJ 

Troutville local looking for close by trails

Got a stock 94 zj. Just looking to flex the springs close to Troutville or Roanoke area.

icebird1976 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
Tjdude08

Closest thing that will get you flexing is bobletts gap in Montvale. And possibly broad run. I've never been to broad run though.
Tjdude08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
icebird1976
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjdude08 View Post
Closest thing that will get you flexing is bobletts gap in Montvale. And possibly broad run. I've never been to broad run though.
Thanks. I just went exploring a little on Salt Pond Road, but its just a trail with some small rocks. Didn't even need 4wd.
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
JAMS201075
1993 ZJ 

you wont need 4wd through broad run either, just a ride through the woods with some creek crossings. Potts mountain will be your best bet. I've never been but there are some you tube vids on it.
JAMS201075 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
icebird1976
1994 ZJ 

Thanks a bunch. I'll check it out. Used to go wheelin a lot when I lived in Colorado, so I'm itching to get back into it.
Unread 09-27-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
xjtrailrider

We (SWVA4WD) are doing a trail maintenance run on Potts October 19th. I can't go unfortunately. They are meeting at the Burger King across from Pinkerton Chevy at 9am and driving to the trail head(45min drive)

As for local wheeling, Potts Mountain is the best in VA for public trails but please obey the rules up there. There are many folks that would love to have a reason to shut the trail down so don't give them one please!
xjtrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
coolin4u
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Potts is not exactly gonna be friendly to a stock ZJ though.
coolin4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
xjtrailrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolin4u View Post
Potts is not exactly gonna be friendly to a stock ZJ though.
Nope it won't! Trying to get folks to join up with us though LOL!
Unread 10-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
coolin4u
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Brandon and i had planned on coming but thats the weekend we work
coolin4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
Motorcharge
I know more than you.

1991 MJ Comanche 

Potts is likely closed anyway since it's in a national forest. They've shut down all the parks and park services during the government shutdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 05:25 AM   #11
xjtrailrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Potts is likely closed anyway since it's in a national forest. They've shut down all the parks and park services during the government shutdown.
Incorrect information!

Cindy Shiffer, the Ranger in charge of Potts informed SWVA4WD(the club that maintains Potts Jeep Road) that the trail would remain open unless it sustains damage via mother nature or from human beings. In either case the gates will be locked even in hunting season.

So if anyone goes up there please tread extra lightly!
Unread 10-04-2013, 05:27 AM   #12
xjtrailrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolin4u View Post
Brandon and i had planned on coming but thats the weekend we work
I can't go either. I coach youth football and we will have our first play-off game that day.
Unread 10-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #13
Motorcharge
I know more than you.

1991 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjtrailrider View Post
Incorrect information!

Cindy Shiffer, the Ranger in charge of Potts informed SWVA4WD(the club that maintains Potts Jeep Road) that the trail would remain open unless it sustains damage via mother nature or from human beings. In either case the gates will be locked even in hunting season.

So if anyone goes up there please tread extra lightly!
I'd check on that again since they're ordering even private businesses on Federal land all over the state to close despite not receiving public funds. Especially places they know are popular because they want the shutdown to hurt as much as possible. That may have been true when they contacted her initially but it's likely not right now.

Either way I hope I'm wrong, I just hate to see people try to go up there and not be able to get in.

Quote:
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
Unread 10-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #14
xjtrailrider

Here is the thread on SWVA4WD; http://www.swva4w.org/forum/index.ph...th=27&start=0&

Lets hope it holds true.

We(SWVA4WD) will be up there on the 19th doing trail maintenance. First order of repair will be to fill in the big hole that everyone gets stuck in on "The Stacks". Right now people are driving around the stacks on an illegal bypass that will be blocked as soon as the stacks are doable on 31's and a mild lift. The second order of repair will be the washed out areas of the bypass around Burnt Bridge(also known as "The Ledge"). We will be hauling in several tons of smaller rock to fill in between the larger rocks to reduce erosion. All in all, Cindy was happy with the condition of the trail back in July when she road through there with us.
Unread 10-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #15
Motorcharge
I know more than you.

1991 MJ Comanche 

Can't get the link to load. I don't doubt at all that was the case when you originally posted, but a lot has changed since then and they're even kicking people out of private homes on Federal land now til the shutdown is over. In FL they even tried shutting down the beaches.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.