Trail Guide near Charlottesville VA? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Virginia Jeep Forum > Trail Guide near Charlottesville VA?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #16
jcssurf
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah...Gazetteers are priceless.

So is there any challenging wheeling at big levels? And enough to make a day or two out of?

The Unlimiteds shall inherit the earth.
jcssurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2008, 08:22 PM   #17
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yeah! and their is about 35 miles of trails!
Unread 09-19-2008, 09:06 PM   #18
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifesgoodhere View Post
I would go to a dealer, and watch them work on it and tell they if you mess up you pay for it. No I don't know of any, though I think their is a 4X4 shop in Richmond, but not 100% sure.
Truckin' Outfitters on 360, near 288.

I might be up for a run to Big Levels or Shoe Creek. Pretty much any day but Tues and Thurs, and next wkend. Let me know

#27. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #19
bigmud

Big Levels Info

I was just in there on Jan 1, 2009. Went in through the open gate near MM17 from the parkway. The first mile or so was great (a little tight for a fullsize truck, but ok). Several campsite pulloffs with views. Then it continues for another 10 miles or so with multiple forks (only got lost on a few). Must be 30+ total miles of trails out there. There are places that are VERY hairy. STEEP broken rock downhills with no bailouts and some nasty turns (again, tougher for me in a raised Tahoe). Couple of water crossings, but nothing too exciting. If there's a map, I'd suggest getting it somewhere. I could have used it because there were downhills I took that there is no way I could have come back up. Ended up (after being lost for about 2 hours) on the Coal Road and headed back to civilization that way.

These trails are MUCH more difficult and dangerous than Shoe Creek. I've cruised through Shoe Creek up and down with no problems and this place scared me. I wouldn't do it alone again if you paid me. Would have been a LONG hike out in the cold if I had broken an axel or something. Take some buddies with winches and extra gear if you go. Not a good place to get stranded.
bigmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #20
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

next time you want to go, pm me i'll make it so you don't get lost again. you have to be careful sometimes, beacuse if you take a trail that goes left (coming from parkway) it may ne a double track walking trail in st mary's wilderness...and you can get a BIG FINE if you get caught.
Unread 08-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #21
Sapperelite
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone have better directions to the Coal Road trails? I have a stock 03 TJ and my buddy has a lifted FJ and I'm looking to take my kids out for a fun day on the trail... Any other fun offroad trails in the Charlottesville area? Thanks for the help. I'm also looking for an offroad trail that we could camp out on in a month or so.
Sapperelite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #22
99WJCHRIS
1999 WJ 

Check out this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f327/...hmond-1184788/

Where Planning a trail ride out that way in a couple weeks.
Unread 08-31-2011, 11:45 PM   #23
Pullsout
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm the founder of a jeep club in Cville if you would be interested in joining us sometime pm me
Pullsout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #24
99WJCHRIS
1999 WJ 

Check out through big levels /bald mountain Sept 10th thread in the VA part of the forum. Bunch of us getting a trail rid together for next weekend.
Unread 09-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #25
XJsportG
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapperelite
Anyone have better directions to the Coal Road trails? I have a stock 03 TJ and my buddy has a lifted FJ and I'm looking to take my kids out for a fun day on the trail... Any other fun offroad trails in the Charlottesville area? Thanks for the help. I'm also looking for an offroad trail that we could camp out on in a month or so.
Look At the central va/metro Richmond sticky. There is a map of Virginia trails including coal rd and trails in there. Look at it.

Virginia
PM me for Maps and GPS Coordinates!
XJsportG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #26
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

OP,

Seeing as youre on 35s, Crabtree falls is the most interesting trail in the area I know of other than crozet. Its got some decent rocks that open on 33s could have a bit of trouble with if they take the hard lines.

If you want actual wheeling that would challenge you rig, crozet is your only option. Most things in the area are fire roads that stock 4x4 full size trucks can get up like big levels. You can still have tons of fun exploring and making a day trip out of it, but there is no challenge in it. Just depends on what youre looking for.
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #27
XJsportG
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytowntj
OP,

Seeing as youre on 35s, Crabtree falls is the most interesting trail in the area I know of other than crozet. Its got some decent rocks that open on 33s could have a bit of trouble with if they take the hard lines.

If you want actual wheeling that would challenge you rig, crozet is your only option. Most things in the area are fire roads that stock 4x4 full size trucks can get up like big levels. You can still have tons of fun exploring and making a day trip out of it, but there is no challenge in it. Just depends on what youre looking for.
Also big levels.

Virginia
PM me for Maps and GPS Coordinates!
XJsportG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #28
Ironhead98
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Crozet is awesome for crawling. I go there with KMA Offroad a few times a year. Its the RCPFA site that was posted earlier in the thread. If you check the site you could attend an open wheeling weekend, that way if you show up solo youll have spotters and a group to wheel with.
Ironhead98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #29
wahoojeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I'm heading to Crozet on Sunday with a small group if anyone wants to tag along.

Chris

RCPFA

2005 LJ, 2007 JKU, 1978 J10
wahoojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #30
FreelanceEMT
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hey everyone I'm new! I'm planning on taking my jeep, which is currently still stock, up to Bald Mountain Trail by way of the coal road next sunday, 3-24-12. Would anyone be willing to join me and maybe play guide? I'm new to offroading and thought it would be fun to go exploring!
FreelanceEMT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.