Trail Guide near Charlottesville VA? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Virginia Jeep Forum > Trail Guide near Charlottesville VA?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-11-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
jeep11484
2014 JK Wrangler 

Trail Guide near Charlottesville VA?

I am about to have my Jeep ready to take off road in a couple weeks. Is there anybody near Charlottesville VA that would be willing to show me some of the trails close to here? Let me know!

jeep11484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Might post that on the Crozet Forum. One of the members might sponsor you for a trip or two.. then you can join the club..

http://forums.xjsrule.com/index.php?...1d0cf344fd78b7

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
Lifesgoodhere

Their is Shoe Creek, which is fun. difficulty - well my Rav4 with 30s on it made it up and down the trail no problem. But I bypassed all the good stuff and watched and spotted for my friends as they did some slick rock and crawled boulders. Good camping their too. Im 35 minutes from the trail head on the other side of the mountain. The trail head is about 40 miles or so south on 29 from C'ville. I would love to join ya and be your guide if you want to go their.

Also their is Big Levels (if the gates open) The trail head is off the parkway (bald mountain overlook) Im 17 miles from that trail head.

theirs also one near Walnut creek park. I don't know if its legal or not. Never been, just seen it on a map.

i know more just not off the top of my head.

Join the Southside Jeepers. They come out this way frequently to do camping/wheeling trips. http://southsidejeepers.freeforums.org/
*The Homestretch ---- Finishing the Hammer. It's on!!
Lifesgoodhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
jeep11484
2014 JK Wrangler 

I have been told Shoe Creek is a great place to start. If you ever plan to head up there sometime let me know and maybe i can join you. Any help you could give would be good, even as a trail guide. How do you get to Big Levels. I have been told thats pretty fun too. Where is the one near Walnut Creek. I go mountain biking there so i know the area pretty well.
Unread 09-14-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'd love to come out one weekend. I have no idea where any trails are in the C'ville area. I live in AR, but go to school at UVa. Just let me know!
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Also, do any of you know any good 4x4 in or right around the C'ville area? I just recently regeared and my pinion seals are leaking. I would take it to the dealer, but I would prefer to have a shop more familiar with regearing to look at it in order to make sure something else isn't wrong than just the seals.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #7
Lifesgoodhere

I would go to a dealer, and watch them work on it and tell they if you mess up you pay for it. No I don't know of any, though I think their is a 4X4 shop in Richmond, but not 100% sure.

Yeah we can meet up some time! I am really busy during the week, and it won't be till mid October that my weekends become more free. Also, wait for the price of gas to fall back to where it was before. I may drive a Rav4 as a daily driver, and get 30 MPG, but I drive a lot, I run through a tank in about 4 days just driving around my area! I will most liky be inviting a group of people to come over and help me get my Jeep Truck cab on the frame soon - im thinking 27th or 28th. Its not a set date yet, still working on it.
Unread 09-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
jeep11484
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYuen View Post
Also, do any of you know any good 4x4 in or right around the C'ville area? I just recently regeared and my pinion seals are leaking. I would take it to the dealer, but I would prefer to have a shop more familiar with regearing to look at it in order to make sure something else isn't wrong than just the seals.
I dont think there are any trails that are really close to Cville but if you want to go explore one day let me know. I own my own business so my schedule is pretty flexible for weekends or weekdays.

As far as shops/mechanics go in Cville the only place i would trust with any of my vehicles, other than myself, would be Airport Auto out past Target. I will say they are very honest about what they find and dont charge you for things they shouldn't and fix the problem the first time. I am not sure about your specific problem but might be worth a call instead of driving to Richmond or somewhere else.

PM me if you want to meet up sometime in Cville and try to find some trails closeby. I have an idea of where some are but they are not close to Cville. 30-50 miles away.
Unread 09-14-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Might try http://www.independent4x.com/

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2008, 09:36 AM   #10
wahoojeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Couple of sites for you...

www.cvillecrawlers.com

www.rcpfa.com

I wheeling in the area 2-3 times a month, mostly out at Crozet, but I'm always down for something different.

Team Tires on West Main knows their way around a gear setup. They have replaced my R&P a couple of times (HP 30's don't like 37's).

Chris

RCPFA

2005 LJ, 2007 JKU, 1978 J10
wahoojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2008, 10:07 AM   #11
Redmanchew

1982 CJ7 

I just had my OX installed at Team down on main, (yes chris, jayson gave me your card i just haven't called yet). I kept my same R&P gearing but since it was an OX they changed the carrier and had to reset them up. Good work, good price, just bad traffic picking up your vehicle @ 5.
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #12
jcssurf
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I just stumbled upon this thread...

I grew up in Cville and am there a lot (less than an hour from where I live now). Ditto on Airport Auto. Good, honest folks who definitely know their way around 4by's. A little bit of a drive for you from the UVa area, though.

HIJACK

What is Big Levels like?

The Unlimiteds shall inherit the earth.
jcssurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 11:05 AM   #13
Lifesgoodhere

Big levels area isn't what it sounds like...its very mountainous. There is a FR road that skirts the outside of the area. It is FR-42 or more commonly called coal road. Their are 3 jeep trails that intersect in the center of the area, a marshy area called Green pond. The 4 Jeep trails are:

Kennedy Ridge
Cold Spring
Stony Run
Bald Mountain

The first 3 in that list have trail heads on Coal RD. Bald mountain's trail head is at the Bald Mountain over look on the Blue ridge parkway.

I have only been on Bald mountain one, and made it the 10 1/2 miles to the intersection of the other 3 on my mountain bike. I went about 6 miles back the same trail with my Rav4 to the 3ed camp site. After that the trail becomes very rough, and STEEP. Their is no pull offs, except for the camp sites. So hope you don't meet oncoming wheelers. On one down hill section their is 2 tight turns, the terrain is SAND, and as to get to the bottom of the hill their are ROCKS. At one point you get a very nice view of the Shenandoah Valley, from a rock outcropping. On my mountian bike I was very cautious, because I was so far in the woods. NO CELLPHONE RECEPTION, but at one point I did have 2 bars; their is a cell tower on top of bald mountain. Their are several stream crossings, and lots of wildlife to see, including a bear that I saw. Where the 4 trails meet, it is flat and MUDDY, I went down Kennedy Ridge trail (on my mountain bike) and I went about 4 miles and the trail ended, but I did see marked trees for the trail, if I bushwhacked my way through. Coming back the way I went was long, about 10 miles of uphill, that was very steep.

Sometime in October I will probably go back, and mountain bike again, if I have some company that would be great. I live 20 minutes away from the Bald mountain trail head too, so its basically my backyard. On Tuesday I went to see if the gate was open, usually it isn't, and it was open. I think the reason it is open is because I called the ranger district (peddler district) and they said that they completely forgot about the fact it was closed. They closed it last February, during the Saint Mary's Wilderness fire. Its now open!! so which weekend in October suits?
Unread 09-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #14
nucgard
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Trails near c-ville

Does anybody have directions or maps to these areas?
nucgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 04:38 PM   #15
Lifesgoodhere

I look at DeLorme "Virginia Atlas & Gazetteer" , detailed topo maps to find trails. Big levels is on page 54 - Shoe Creek can also be found on the same page. You can pick this map book at walmart.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.