Smith Mountain - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Virginia Jeep Forum > Smith Mountain

Spiderwebshade @ JeepHut.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 03-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
Mello03
2013 JK Wrangler 

Smith Mountain

Does anyone know if the service roads are accessible up to the top of Smith Mountain overlooking the lake? We used to go up to SML all the time before we sold our boat and we love it there. It looks like you can take 40 across by Penhook, head over towards the dam and access these service roads to the towers on the mountain. There is a ridge top road that runs all the way across the top to another lookout that overlooks the dam. Looks like great views of the lake at over 2k elevation. Maybe I will check it out on the way to wheelin for hope.

Unread 03-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
Mello03
2013 JK Wrangler 

Nothing huh? Well I will try and ride by there and see if we can get to the top.
Unread 03-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
Jon-joN
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Let me know if you can, my parents hbe told me stories of it but I haven't been out there to see if you stillcan or not
Jon-joN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 05:37 AM   #4
Mello03
2013 JK Wrangler 

Will do. I won't be up there until the end of April though.
Unread 03-09-2014, 05:50 AM   #5
thgarys
1999 WJ 

Let me know too would love to be able to ride up there sounds cool!
thgarys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
Mello03
2013 JK Wrangler 

I never made it up there because we sold our boat. If you get the chance to go I'd appreciate it if you'd check it out and post back.
Unread 03-13-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
Jon-joN
1997 TJ Wrangler 

still havent made it out there either, most of the family lives around buggs island now so we dont head out west too often
Jon-joN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2014, 01:33 PM   #8
takey13
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I live by the lake but have never thought about heading up on top of the mountain... might have to try that sometime.
takey13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #9
wisconsinalex
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Unless it is a fire road or something of the sort I would think you should be fine. You might call the forestry service and double check so you don't get slapped with some heavy fines

The Iron Blueberry- 1976 Ford F100 Ranger XLT

The Thing- 1997 TJ Wrangler (it's a love/hate kinda thing)
wisconsinalex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #10
Fernman
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Have a place down there, would be interested to know as well

Previous: 00 TJ, 97 XJ, 95 YJ
Fernman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2014, 02:59 PM   #11
Bear304inc
1998 ZJ 

Anyone go yet? That actually sounds awesome. I'd like to ride up for some amazing views as well. But coming from Newport news I'd like to be sure that the trail was 1. Legal. 2. Actually doable, as many zj is Damn near stock.
Bear304inc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.