Second Mountain /Dictums Ridge Saturday update - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Virginia Jeep Forum > Second Mountain /Dictums Ridge Saturday update

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
WagoneerCraig
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Second Mountain /Dictums Ridge Saturday update

Well The ride was fantastic . Great views and the trails were just challenging enough for stock vehicles . But the Alt.route around the rocks is no longer an alternate . Its now just as tough.We came down the hill to the rocks and had quite a bit of challenge turning around . Loved every minute of it !!! We didnt get to many good pics , it was very cold up there . but here's some A big Thanks to Alex and Ike for a great day and the 7 other rigs we joined up with

img_1098.jpg   img_1105.jpg   dsc01789.jpg   img_1107.jpg  
WagoneerCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2010, 04:46 AM   #2
Jwood621
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Good to hear you guys had a good time. I was there camping a couple of weekends before you and it was pretty cold as well.
Jwood621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #3
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Can you post up some details on how you accessed it? I was informed that second mt was closed off 33 by a ranger a few months back... Is it back open?
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
WagoneerCraig
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

We went in at Second Mountain Fire road right off 33. Then found Dictums Ridge on the left once we reached the atv / dirt bike parking area . As far as the gate being closed ,We never made it . There's a section That was far beyond the capabilities of our rigs and turned around . Good luck and have fun
Unread 12-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

From what I was told the entrance to 2nd mt right ff 33 is actually private property and that was the issue. The actual trail is on forest land, but the first several hundred feet is not. They also mentioned the opened their land for hunting season so that may be why you werent hassled
Unread 12-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
WagoneerCraig
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

I don't know anything about private property ? anyone wants to pipe in ? The road has a designated forest road number . So as far as i'm concerned it's a public road !!!! But grab a map ,there are several roads leading up to that same area from 33 , Very easy to find in the Gazetteer .Better safe than sorry ?The forest dept. opens and closes gates in the forest during hunting season . Which may be the case for this particular road .
Unread 12-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #7
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I know the actual FR is legit, I believe the forest just lost the bit of land at the entrance in a dispute. He did mention that it opens during hunting season so that may be why.

Looking forward to some snow wheeling Over Xmas!
Unread 12-09-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
WagoneerCraig
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Have fun , Its worth it . post some pics ?
Unread 12-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely. Planning on camping at meadow knob too. Gonna be freezing haha
Unread 12-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
skydiver30960

1999 TJ Wrangler 

WRT how to find the trail, I'll add that when I was with Craig on this one we were trying to make sure we were in the right spot and that I stopped a guy (looked like a hunter) to ask directions. He mentioned that the turn off 33 onto Second Mountain Trail (just west of Dale Enterprise) IS the way to go, he mentioned that there used to be a sign at the intersection with 33 that it WAS possible to access the NF trail from that road. He said somebody (gee, I wonder who?) removed that sign. He did mention that there is a lot of private property up there, and that there was a guy who was trying to stop people from accessing the NF trail from there, but that you COULD do so without tresspassing.

Second Mountain trail is paved for about the first hundred yards and then becomes gravel. I can still recall the hunter's directions:

"Follow the road until it becomes gravel, and keep following it for a little while. Eventually you'll come to a spot where the good road takes a sharp right, and a sh**ty road goes off to the left. The sh**ty road to the left is what you want. Just a few yards up that road you'll see the gate marking the start of the forestry trail."

It was exactly as he described it. All gates we passed were open. And that obstacle on Dictum's Ridge definitely puckered my stock-driving self. Maybe after a little lift and a BUNCH of skids... I imagine that other than the obstacle on Dictum's Ridge that the rest of it would be pretty tame for heavy-duty rigs, but for stockers it is a good time.

Ike

I will NOT calm down! Machine guns affect my ability to perform and I do NOT like that! -- Ricardo Tubbs

The world is a mess... and I just need to RULE it. -- Dr. Horrible

Machete don't txt. -- Machete
skydiver30960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.