Relocating to Richmond - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Virginia Jeep Forum > Relocating to Richmond

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 04-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #1
borkap
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Relocating to Richmond

Hi,

I live in Charlotte NC and I am looking at a position in the Richmond area and wanted to gage the wheeling scene. I would think with it being VA there would be a lot of activity and spots but don't want to show up and it be full of hybrids and no fun. What spots are there around the Richmond area, preferably within an hours drive (but I'm not welded to that)? I'm looking at moving to the short pump area at the moment but could be talked into somewhere else. I do have a 10 year old duaghter so schools in the area are very important to me. Thanks in advance for any info you can give to make the relo tolerable and maybe even good.

borkap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
XJsportG
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkap View Post
Hi,

I live in Charlotte NC and I am looking at a position in the Richmond area and wanted to gage the wheeling scene. I would think with it being VA there would be a lot of activity and spots but don't want to show up and it be full of hybrids and no fun. What spots are there around the Richmond area, preferably within an hours drive (but I'm not welded to that)? I'm looking at moving to the short pump area at the moment but could be talked into somewhere else. I do have a 10 year old duaghter so schools in the area are very important to me. Thanks in advance for any info you can give to make the relo tolerable and maybe even good.
There are no LEGAL Places In Richmond or Surrounding Counties. All trails Are Located to the West In the George Washington & Jefferson National Forest and Shenandoah National Forest.

A good Thread to Look at is http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f327/...hmond-1184788/

Very Active For the most part and a good map with Must known legal trails.

www.vajeepoffroad.com is another good place to look for an active group, There Facebook page can also be found here: http://www.facebook.com/groups/vajeepoffroad/

Virginia
PM me for Maps and GPS Coordinates!
XJsportG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
E1wood5150
2009 JK Wrangler 

Short Pump isnt what it used to be (25 yrs ago), but it has everything you could possibly need, except a 4wd shop, and a good music store. Those are further east toward Richmond. The schools in Henrico County are excellent. If you go a little west into Goochland County, you'll have more elbow room, but the schools, while still very good, arent up to Henrico's level. Chesterfield County schools are very good, but the county is so stuffed with people now, things are starting to suffer.

As for wheelin', unless you know someone with land, you'll have to make the trip to the mountains. Shoe Creek, Crabtree Falls and GWNF arent that far away, all can be made in a day trip. Check the sticky at the top that shows all the spots. Some you can hit some things and be back home for dinner, some are camping destinations for sure.

Looking forward to someone else joining our little corner of the world!
MORE TO COME!
E1wood5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
borkap
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So Im here and have been for a few months. We selected Mechanicsville close to Ashland and are building a house on a acre in a development. I did manage a 3 car garage and back up to wetlands so nobody is behind me. I have been a couple places like crabtree and crozet but no place else yet. Let me know if you are wheeling I'll likely tag along. Im going to crozet Jan 5th.
Unread 01-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You made a good choice moving there. Many of the parents in the short pump area, especially around the Gayton area walk around like their **** doesn't stink. No offense to anyone, but it's unfortunately true.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh**s.
chevy2169 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
borkap
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Two things.

1. Learn to swim.
2. Yea we didn't get a warm fuzzy there and the house for the money in short pump didn't seem worth it to me. I would have went out into goochland and get some land but the wife and daughter wanted a development with other people and the schools are better where we are now. The compromise was this place with a three car garage and eventually a 2 post lift in it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.