Potts Mountain Trail - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Virginia Jeep Forum > Potts Mountain Trail

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 10-21-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
leeave96
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Potts Mountain Trail

I am considering going out to the Potts Mountain Trail - with a stock Wrangler TJ Sport. Is this do-able? Anyone 4-wheeled in a stock Jeep Wrangler or any other stock 4x4?

Thanks!

leeave96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
RUparrothead
1980 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeave96
I am considering going out to the Potts Mountain Trail - with a stock Wrangler TJ Sport. Is this do-able? Anyone 4-wheeled in a stock Jeep Wrangler or any other stock 4x4?

Thanks!

Can it be done?...yes with VERY good spotting and skids. IF you don't have skids, don't do it. I've seen a stock liberty (other than skids) make it over potts, running from the top down. On the other hand, i've seen very large jeeps with lousy drivers have to turn around. It all depends on driving skill, spotter skills, and skids for Potts.

Where are you located?

Check out a few local clubs that run Potts...

www.teamtrailblazer.com based in Roanoke
www.swva4w.org in roanoke
www.nrvjeepclub.com in new river valley
www.sc4wda.org is VT's club
RUparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2007, 09:42 PM   #3
leeave96
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info.

Dumb question - when you say skids, are you talking about skid plates in addition to the transfer case and fuel tank that are standard on my TJ?

Oh, I live near Roanoke.

Thanks again!
leeave96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
RUparrothead
1980 J-Series Truck 

for skids, i'd try to protect everything of importance...gas tank, tranny, engine, rocker protection, etc.

do a google search for "jeep armor" and it should give you some ideas.

I'm near Roanoke too...just east of Vinton actually.
RUparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2007, 09:26 PM   #5
RichardD
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Skid Row makes good skids. http://www.skidplates.com/
I've know of a guy running a Wrangler there totally stock and even running recapped tires, but as 98classic said, he knows how to wheel and he had a very good spotter.
I'm in Bedford, our group is The Lost Jeepers. www.lostjeepers.com We wheel 1-3 times a month and have members from all over the state.

Be well,
Richard

Live each day as if it were your last, 'cause you just never know.....
RichardD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2007, 09:33 PM   #6
xxxflhrci

If you want a little bit tamer trail that is close to Roanoke, check out Mountain Lake outside of Blacksburg. The trails are labeled in the Virginia atlas as "Jeep Trails." In dry weather, it is easy for even a stock rig. During the wet weather, it is more difficult. There are quite a few turnouts with mud holes in them for playing around.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
bmandubj10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxflhrci View Post
If you want a little bit tamer trail that is close to Roanoke, check out Mountain Lake outside of Blacksburg. The trails are labeled in the Virginia atlas as "Jeep Trails." In dry weather, it is easy for even a stock rig. During the wet weather, it is more difficult. There are quite a few turnouts with mud holes in them for playing around.
Any camping spots along mountain lake?
- 2003 WJ Limited 4.7L 4x4, 3 inch IRO coil lift with Bilstein shocks, OME .5 inch spacers, adjustable IRO Track Bar. Beefy Tenneco Steering Stabilizer. 32 inch General Grabber AT2's, 5000k DDM Tuning HID lights. Magna Flow Cat-back exhaust system. Rola safari rack. IRO bump stops. Kevin's Offroad 2 1/4 A-Arm spacer.
bmandubj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
coolin4u
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Potts is not doable in a stock tj without a winch.There are several difficult areas, one in particular known as the ''stacks'' can be difficult for larger rigs with lockers and there is no legal by-pass to get around it.I was just thru there with a TJ on 31's and he had very experienced spotters and had to pull winch cable several times.If you attempt it don't go alone and expect damage,also remember if you go from top down anyone coming up has right of way and that's the way most people go.The sign at the head of the trail strictly states not for stock vehicles and suggests at least 33's.
coolin4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

We used to take stock S-10s through there 15 years ago. What happened?
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:33 AM   #10
Justin_WJ
2000 WJ 

For anyone interested, our local club is doing a ride on Potts the 27th of this month, meeting at the pines campground at 10am

If you're on Facebook...look up Virginia Offroad Warriors. Good group if guys that run trails from stock friendly to Crozet and Potts.
2000 WJ Limited, 4inch RC X, 242 T-case swap, 33x12.50 STT's, 15x8 D window wheels with 3.75 BS, JKS ADJ. Tracbar, T-case armor, Custom front winch bumper, Smittybilt XRC 8, 4.56's Extended Rola Rack w/Harbor Freight 6" lights, and always muddy :)
Justin_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 01:45 AM   #11
smokin_joe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have any info on the trail and the pines campground due to the gov shutdown? Is it ok to camp somewhere along the side of the trail? I have a planned ride coming up soon. Any details appreciated.
smokin_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 03:29 AM   #12
xjtrailrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin_joe View Post
Does anyone have any info on the trail and the pines campground due to the gov shutdown? Is it ok to camp somewhere along the side of the trail? I have a planned ride coming up soon. Any details appreciated.
The Pines campground is closed. The trail is open, please tread lightly as ANY damage or illegal wheeling right now WILL shut it down!

Note that the bypass at "The Stacks" is not legal. We have video of multiple clubs running it and they should not have been. The bypass was cut in by the forestry service to get dozers in during the fire and where not meant to be run by off-road vehicles. People are running it and causing damage to the wilderness. Just run up the stacks its more fun anyway.
xjtrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #13
smokin_joe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjtrailrider View Post
The Pines campground is closed. The trail is open, please tread lightly as ANY damage or illegal wheeling right now WILL shut it down!

Note that the bypass at "The Stacks" is not legal. We have video of multiple clubs running it and they should not have been. The bypass was cut in by the forestry service to get dozers in during the fire and where not meant to be run by off-road vehicles. People are running it and causing damage to the wilderness. Just run up the stacks its more fun anyway.
Thank you. The club I'm in is very much into Tread Lightly and will not take illegal bypasses (and Im sure most of them wouldn't take the easy bypass anyway). I haven't been there yet and Im not sure where the "stacks" is so a pic of it would be great and I'll pass on the info. I was guessing that the campground would be closed but is there anywhere to camp either at the trailhead or in an open spot next to the trail? This is allowed at Uwharrie so I thought it would be here as well.
Unread 10-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #14
smokin_joe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would like to state again that I'm looking for options for camping in case pines is still closed come Oct. 25 & 26th. If camping is not allowed on the trail I respect that and will make planning changes as necessary. If all else fails we still have other places we can wheel that weekend. I just have been wanting to go to Potts for a while now since I've never been and its just as close to me as Ure. Thanks again for any more info.
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #15
xjtrailrider

You can camp on the trail if you want.

Here is one of our locals running "The Stacks" legally! He is going "bottom-up" in this pick(you can run the trail in either direction). Its in way worse condition now!

Just click!
xjtrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.