Peavine Mountain Jeep Trail VA - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Virginia Jeep Forum > Peavine Mountain Jeep Trail VA

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-08-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Peavine Mountain Jeep Trail VA

Has anyone hear of or been to Peavine Mountain in Va? Looking for a description what its like.

EDIT: Well its closed until April 1st along with a lot of other trails in the area. Still would like a description if anyones been there. ie what type of terrain, difficulty, equiptment needs, ect.

Last edited by Scotch740; 01-08-2008 at 11:01 AM..
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 10:32 AM   #2
BRAY6
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Do you know what part of Va?

I see you are from C'ville, me too.
I know of Peavine Hollow near Free Union, don't know if there's a trail there.

Of the subject:
Let me know if you would like to wheel sometime.
I'm just learning the trails around here, nothing to serious, I'm mostly stock except for some armor.
BRAY6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2008, 05:55 AM   #3
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

C"ville here too!
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well I replied in a PM to BRAY6 but I figured I would post here as well.

Peavine Mountain is not the same as Peavine Hollow. I know the Peavine hollow area but do not know if theres anything up there. I would guess its all privet land but have not checked it out.
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 09:37 PM   #5
Mrcln1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I am looking for local trails also. Detailed directions seem to be hard to come by. I am in the Lynchburg area. I attempted Shoe Creek today and it scared the heck out of me. I have been there before when the weather was wet or clear and it was cool until a downed tree on the top of the mountain stopped me in my tracks. I think once past the hiking entrance it would be alright but going in it was a sheet of ice with about 2 feet of snow before you slide off the mountain. I aired down to almost 10 psi and still had no traction most of the way. If it wasn't for the little bit of snow on the sides I woulda been screwed. I guess it was just too cold up there. I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread to see if anybody lets go of any info. I know the parkway is closed so I haven't been able to scout the trails off of there yet.

Good Luck,

Mrcln1

Black Jeep Society
Mrcln1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 05:35 AM   #6
RUparrothead
1980 J-Series Truck 

taken from http://www.teamtrailblazer.com/showt...hlight=peavine

Peavine Mountain (lynchburg)

Directions: Take Route 130 east toward the Blue Ridge Parkway. Just south of the Blue Ridge Parkway, turn left onto Route 727 go approximately 1.5 miles and turn left onto Forest Service Road 318. (Route 727 turns into Route 610.) Seasonal road closure due to weather and road conditions to protect the natural resources.

I wanna say I've been on this trail. I started in Big Island just across the river. From what I can remeber they open and close portions of it at different times by moving dirt here and there. We actually went under the parkway at one time. While it's nothing really extreme there's a few mud holes and climbs depending on what's open. Great scenic trip and fun to explore. I'm probably going to try and head out there before my baby gets here. I'll post to see if anyone wants to tag along
06 Honda Pilot(wifes dd)
RUparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
sciron4x4
2008 XK Commander 

Rick: Let me know when you want to head out there. I have printed directions handy, and it's hanging on my wall. Definitely want to check it out.
Unread 02-26-2008, 02:55 PM   #8
RUparrothead
1980 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciron4x4 View Post
Rick: Let me know when you want to head out there. I have printed directions handy, and it's hanging on my wall. Definitely want to check it out.
will do. after sitting out most of last year without a jeep, I'm ready to hit trails as often as possible
RUparrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.