Old Long Run, Dictims, and Gauley ridge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Virginia Jeep Forum > Old Long Run, Dictims, and Gauley ridge

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)

Unread 10-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Old Long Run, Dictims, and Gauley ridge

Anybody have first hand experience with these?

Been wanting to explore for a while as the pictures of the trail look pretty good. Stories of angry land owners and impounded vehicles when accessed improperly have kept me from running them however.

ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
kswyg001
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'll have to look, but I may have a link with gps coordinates to dictums ridge. I'm at odu too
kswyg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yea I know where the main trailheads are but most of the entrances on 33 have been closed off in the past few years. There are constant disputes with land owners over where forest boundaries and whether the forest road entrances are their land or not. I personally know several people that have been approached at gun point when they were on marked forest roads.

You can access these trails from the other side (coming SE from WV and coming SW from further north than harrisonburg.

Im not entirely sure of the roads and legality of some of the tails because that area gets very VERY confusing.

and ODU, Heck yea!
Unread 10-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
0blcktj6
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What are the trails like? Is it pretty much the same as everywhere else in this area? Mud and ruts? I need to make a trip to RC when I get back... I miss the North East too much, haha.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/v...ck-now-908246/
0blcktj6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

there is a bit of mud. Most stuff in that area is semi rocky fire roads with hill climbs and rocky areas here and there. Google some images of Dictims ledge. The actual ledge is difficult to get up, especially when wet or snow.
Unread 10-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
0blcktj6
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytowntj View Post
there is a bit of mud. Most stuff in that area is semi rocky fire roads with hill climbs and rocky areas here and there. Google some images of Dictims ledge. The actual ledge is difficult to get up, especially when wet or snow.
I googled images but all I was able to pull up was a picture of a tubed out Yota ... I guess I might just check it out when I get back. You said there is a dispute of whether or not it is legal? Or do the residents simply dislike people back there and decide to take the legality into their own hands?

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/v...ck-now-908246/
0blcktj6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #7
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The trails are legal, the convenient entrances have somewhat mixed opinions on legality. Basically you better know exactly where to go or you will have very angry hillbillies. I recall several different groups being held at gun point by angry landowners.

Just looking to confirm exactly what is legal. Ill probably go by the N river ranger station next time im up there and get the real scoop.
Unread 10-28-2011, 05:47 AM   #8
sitedzn
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Dictims on Rocky Run? if so, here's some pics from this Feb when we went up.

And here's all the pics I got. Rocky Run Was a fun day out (except for the forest fire).
[COLOR="red"]Big Daddy Off Road rock sliders[/COLOR]
35x12.5 BFG A/T KOs, XRC-8000

[COLOR="red"]I love installing new stuff.[/COLOR]
sitedzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #9
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like yall had fun!

Which way did you access the trail ?

Let me know when you guys are going again. Probably wont be until spring they are getting 6-8" of snow there tonight
Unread 10-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
sitedzn
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytowntj View Post
Looks like yall had fun!

Which way did you access the trail ?

Let me know when you guys are going again. Probably wont be until spring they are getting 6-8" of snow there tonight
Went thru Harrisonburg up the Rocky Run forest road. There's a pic showing the staging area that has a loading ramp for ATV/MC that's tailgate high.

Our trip was cut short. There are 2 trails, half went one way half the other. The other guys got cut off by a forest fire. Like it was within 20 yds of the trail. Needless to say we hauled a$$ outta there. Was my first wheelin trip. And I didn't try the ledge (read chicken *****). No armor under, still spinnin a D35. And if you check out one of those vids, you hear a nice thump when WhyJay's diff smacked the rock. Woulda put me out.
[COLOR="red"]Big Daddy Off Road rock sliders[/COLOR]
35x12.5 BFG A/T KOs, XRC-8000

[COLOR="red"]I love installing new stuff.[/COLOR]
sitedzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 01:42 AM   #11
RebelBlood
1988 YJ Wrangler 

We usually just go out Second Mountain, pretty nice trail. A bit rocky at places and some mud. I like it, first place I ever took my jeep wheeling. Some decent mud holes, not any major ruts or anything. My cousin took a stock 91 Explorer on 31's through there without a problem. You have to turn around though because the side that leads down to 33 is blocked with a gate because of, like people said before, land owners. There's a pretty big mud hole shortly before it that you can't really go around. Some people I've talked to say it's like three feet deep. That's where we turn around and head back out. Might be headin there this Saturday, 5th. Depends on how things go with the snow we're gettin tonight.

Never been out Old Long Run Road, but I've heard it can get pretty rough. There's also Turner Run that you can get to from Long Run or from the main road, not sure what the name is. Pretty decent ride, takes about 2-3 hours. Not a lot of mud or anything though.

Pic of the three foot mud hole where we turn around.

Few pics after we went through a couple months back. Wasn't as much mud as we would've liked, but it was still pretty fun. And yes, I didn't have my windows or top on.

RebelBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 10:30 PM   #12
widebody350

I'm not familiar with these trails, as I just bought a WJ. Could a WJ on 31s or 32s make it through most of these trails or would are 33-35s necessary?

Thanks in advance.
widebody350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 10:51 PM   #13
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If there is no snow on the ground Id be willing to bet that 31s could get you just about anywhere in VA thats legal excluding Crozet and other private land...

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pts/4338209219.html

My build - Odd approach to 33's
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/o...h-33s-1307968/
Unread 11-14-2011, 10:53 PM   #14
RebelBlood
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by widebody350 View Post
I'm not familiar with these trails, as I just bought a WJ. Could a WJ on 31s or 32s make it through most of these trails or would are 33-35s necessary?

Thanks in advance.
If you go through Second Mountain 31s should be fine. Like I said in the above post, my cousin had a stock explorer with 31s, Mom's XJ has 32s and I have 33s. None of us had a problem. Not sure about the other trails, though. Never really went clear out Long Run. Heard it can get pretty rough. Cousin had the explorer out a few roads, not sure which ones, when he got 33s and as far as I know he didn't get stuck anywhere.

There's also Turner Run, Flagpole, Switzer, North River and a few others I can't remember. They're all decent trails that pretty much stock vehicles can make it through, so 31s or 32s should be fine.

There are a few places I've heard about that I wouldn't take a vehicle through unless you're not afraid of getting some dents and scratching some paint. Nothing but rocks. Forget what the trails are called, but one's right off of Second Mountain.
RebelBlood is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.