NoVa Inspections and hard core rigs????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Virginia Jeep Forum > NoVa Inspections and hard core rigs?????

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 05-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
London719
1997 TJ Wrangler 

NoVa Inspections and hard core rigs?????

I currently live in Colorado in a county where there are no inspections or emissions checks. I'll be relocating to NoVa for work next month.

My jeep is pretty much a trailer queen in that I don't drive it on the street unless I have to. It's a JK, comp cut, no fenders, one tons, 44's supercharged blah blah. Basically there is no way in hell it will pass any inspections to be licensed.

How do you guys do it? Will I be cool just leaving it stored and hauling it to trails on my trailer?

London719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
jamcat77
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just made the same move myself about a year ago. My 2003 Rubi is a daily driver though. I had to add a 3rd break light I had previously removed.

Another thing to watch out for is all of the vehicle registration fees and rules. You have to get a sticker for your windshield or risk a ticket. The DMV website for NOVA is a treasure trove of info and SO user friendly... HAHAHAHAHA

Always looking for someone to wheel with... Shoot me a PM if interested. I don't know any local trails yet.
Unread 05-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamcat77 View Post

Always looking for someone to wheel with... Shoot me a PM if interested. I don't know any local trails yet.
Novajeepers.net is a local club and goes on wheeling trips from fire roads (Flagpole, Peters Mill both in GWNF) to Rausch Creek, The Cove, and Crozet.

To the OP- you will be fine storing it (not on a public street) and trailering it to the trails.
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

VA state inspection is actually pretty lax for the most part unless you get really, really picky inspectors or cops (and up there you might). Only thing you'd really have to worry about up in NoVA is emissions testing in a few counties. Most the state doesn't do them but a few cities and counties in NoVA require it.

You don't have to have fenders here unless it's a commercial vehicle. Also, you could leave your residence in CO and not have to worry about it. They can't ticket or fine you if you comply with the laws of the state/county/city where the vehicle is registered.
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
jamcat77
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay12
Novajeepers.net is a local club and goes on wheeling trips from fire roads (Flagpole, Peters Mill both in GWNF) to Rausch Creek, The Cove, and Crozet.

To the OP- you will be fine storing it (not on a public street) and trailering it to the trails.
Thanks Jay12! I just joined the NovaJeepers club. Great resource!
Unread 08-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
lazebum
2001 WJ 

could always just slip your inspector an extra 20 and have him just place a sticker on your windshield. Not saying it happens alot, but all the time..maybe. LOL
01 4.0 WJ - Kolak Brake upgrade, Addaco rear sway bar, 3' OME springs, JKS Adj Track Bar, Bilstine Shocks, MOOG Steering Stablizer and TRE's, IRO SYE front kit with a Double Cardan drive shaft, DANA 44a rear swap, booster seat, 7yrold Son, "Don't Tread On Me" Sticker and plates, oh yeah that is how i roll!!
lazebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
Eckoh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

depends on your area. Where i live in agusta county the guy that over sees the state inspection HATES jeeps. So any time he sees a jeep in a shop he goes in trying to fail its inspection. Hes found me jeep getting inspected 4 out of the last 5 years and he NEVER fails to find something stupid to get me a rejection sticker.
Eckoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #8
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckoh View Post
depends on your area. Where i live in agusta county the guy that over sees the state inspection HATES jeeps. So any time he sees a jeep in a shop he goes in trying to fail its inspection. Hes found me jeep getting inspected 4 out of the last 5 years and he NEVER fails to find something stupid to get me a rejection sticker.
So why go back there?
Unread 11-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
WNUNEZJR
1994 YJ Wrangler 

if your in the prince william area hmu ik a few places that aren't to harsh on it. On emissions as long as you don't have any codes you should pass.
WNUNEZJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
Eckoh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
So why go back there?
its been at different inspection places. Its the same trooper for rockingham and agusta counties, i would have to drive 90 minutes to get out of his "region" by then its just not worth it anymore, i'll just fix the BS thing the prick fails me on. However i have had other troopers say they know the guy is a prick and to simply report him and get him taken off that detail.
Unread 11-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
WNUNEZJR
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
its been at different inspection places. Its the same trooper for rockingham and agusta counties, i would have to drive 90 minutes to get out of his "region" by then its just not worth it anymore, i'll just fix the BS thing the prick fails me on. However i have had other troopers say they know the guy is a prick and to simply report him and get him taken off that detail.
Why wont it pass?
WNUNEZJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #12
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
What does the trooper have to do with it?
Unread 11-10-2013, 06:15 AM   #13
Eckoh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNUNEZJR View Post
Why wont it pass?
it was stupid crap like, my 3rd tail light was not 6 inches above the other 2 (meaning being in the center of the spare was not high enough).

another time he wanted to fail me because he heard the locker in the front but i called him out on that. He tried failing for the lift one year (however in va jeeps have no lift designation) Its not that it fails its that he makes it fail trying to be an dick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
What does the trooper have to do with it?
in virgina the state troopers are the ones that head up state inspections. Each district has a trooper that over sees the inspections stations and makes sure the inspectors are doing their jobs correctly.
Unread 11-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #14
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
in virgina the state troopers are the ones that head up state inspections. Each district has a trooper that over sees the inspections stations and makes sure the inspectors are doing their jobs correctly.
I'm well aware but one dick Trooper who doesn't like Jeeps shouldn't effect your inspection unless another Trooper pulls you for something and goes back to the inspector over it or you complain to the Troopers about your inspection sticker. We see the Trooper for our area at our dealership maybe twice a year and he's only there to train our warranty administrators for managing the inspection station stuff or to bring us new signs.
Unread 11-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #15
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
He tried failing for the lift one year (however in va jeeps have no lift designation) Its not that it fails its that he makes it fail trying to be an dick.
We don't have restrictions on suspension height but we do have overall restrictions on bumper height (or frame rail height if you have aftermarket bumpers). Jeeps aren't considered pickup trucks so technically we're limited to 22" bumper height from the ground (trucks can go up to 28-31" based upon GWVR) though it's very rarely enforced in most the state. If your bumpers are higher than stock then the measurement goes to the bottom of the frame rail from the ground. We're also limited to 3" max body lift.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.