Northen VA ford 8.8 install help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-27-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Zyurazek
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Northen VA ford 8.8 install help

Hey Guys,

I'm Looking for someone in Northern VA that could help me swap out my axle with an 8.8 into my 95 YJ. I don't own a welder, and live in a town house so I don't have the room to do the work. Does anyone have some spare time that has a welder and space to help me complete this goal??

I plan do have this done after tax returns come back in February or March. This axles has been sitting in my storage unit for almost 2 years and I've yet to find someone to help out

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-19-2017, 10:57 PM
Cherokeegrrl
1992 XJ Cherokee 

How did you make out with this? I have found that it's hard to find help around here ... even tho I'm in in the F'burg area. Nevertheless here's what I think might work - and I'm planning to follow my own advice when it's time to strip the goodies (including both axles) off my XJ. If you're not a member of a local club, join one, or at the very least go to some Jeep socials like shows, trail rides and so on to make local connections. Then spread the word that you want to have a wrench party. Most importantly, offer up food & beer. Try to have your own tools if you don't already have them.

The only setback I see for you is that you don't have the space - you might have to improvise, adapt & overcome. I have space (meaning yardage) but no garage ... which is not a deterrent. My major problem I think will be having a stable surface on which to jack up the Jeep since it's either grass or gravel here. Would love to help out though.

1992. XJ. Built.
Red Jeep Club Member #425
"Mud is evil."
post #3 of 9 Old 04-21-2017, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Zyurazek
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I even posted on the NOVA jeepers forums for a wrenching party, but no one seemed to care. I ended up taking it to Scotts OCD off-road shop up in Stamford. He did the 8.8, removed my transfer case drop, installed an SYE and new custom length rear driveshaft for me. He also did a few other things. But for all parts and labor, it was about $2200. Labor was about $1000-1200. Rest was parts.

There was also a guy in Fredericksburg called steves extreame off-road shop. His quote was similar, but the guy was not very helpful. I asked him several times what parts I would need, and etc and he just played it off like I should had known and didn't help me get a parts list together at all. I would recommend Scott to anyone. He did great work at an affordable cost. He is OCD just like the name of the shop. Took 3 weeks to get it done, but that was because of the drive shaft, and I added in replacement front shackles to install last minute.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

post #4 of 9 Old 04-22-2017, 06:48 PM
Cherokeegrrl
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Good to know. I can't find any information about Steve's, but I found OCD. They are in Stafford. My situation is a bit different from yours ... it will be 2 Jeeps, one to be dismantled and the other to be built with parts from the first. Obviously it'll be a LOT of work and too far away for me to keep an eye on what's being done. I'm pretty anal about my Jeep - but I like what's been said about OCD so far. I'll definitely keep them in mind when I have everything in place.

Have fun out there ... Post Pics of the Jeep!

1992. XJ. Built.
"Mud is evil."
post #5 of 9 Old 04-23-2017, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Zyurazek
1995 YJ Wrangler 

His website is www.jeepsxtreme.com

He's bout some nice looking rigs.

It must be nice to have a donor Jeep! I'm always trying to scramble and find stupid parts here and there for my YJ that are no longer made. Like the cables to control the heater box and louvers.

I'll post some pics soon! I'm in the process of putting down some hurculiner in the interior. I hate rust... OCD helped me out by welding in some reinforcements under my seats. Soon enough I was going to go through the floor lol.

Are you part of the Nova Jeep forums?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
post #6 of 9 Old 04-25-2017, 09:28 AM
Cherokeegrrl
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, I joined NOVA Jeeps forum, but I might have never posted there. Can't remember. I've only been in VA for 1 summer so not too many opportunities to Jeep-socialize. I attended one Jeep show in Warrenton. It gets hectic with a long distance move.

Nice to have a "donor" Jeep, yes, but mine came at a really expensive cost because if you check my profile, that described beast is my donor . Sadly I rolled it in Maryland a week before last Christmas. No usable sheet metal remaining and I'm heartbroken since I've had that XJ since 2001, built it from the ground up, bone stock right down to the crappy gold lace wheels.

A few years ago before I got my bumpers ...

Today :

Conquered rocks, then get owned by an icy, winding, down hill back road in the MD sticks.

1992. XJ. Built.
"Mud is evil."
post #7 of 9 Old 04-25-2017, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Zyurazek
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Was that Jeep Show and Shine meet? If you're up there this year, i'll have to look out for your XJ!

Oh my, at least you came out of that wreck OK! I can say the same thing. When I first got my YJ, I spun around on the Ramp from 495 to 95 south after I hit a patch of black ice. Luckily I still had my extra long trailer hitch adapters on. When I spun around, the hitch took the blunt of the impact on the guard rail and bent the entire hitch. I ended up coming out of it needing a new trailer hitch receiver and a pushed in passenger side rear corner on the tub. I got lucky. I was just glad that I had not begun upgrading anything on it before the incident.

I'm sure your new beast will end up being bigger and bader than the original! I haven't taken mine off road yet other than the beach. I don't want to risk it until I've really put some money in mods. I'd be that one guy that ends up having their rig break down before the first obstacle it comes to. For instance, last year when I took the YJ out on the beach, the second day out the shift fork in the transfer case chipped. It made for a struggle the rest of the 6 days I was down there. Every bump I hit would throw out the 4WD. All because of this one idiot who slammed on their brakes IN THE SAND which had me come to an instant halt right as I was about to go through a rut. Instantly became stuck in the sand because that halt was what broke the shift fork. Lesson Learned, make my own trails in the sand and never follow someone.
Attached Thumbnails
After Paint.jpg   Beach.jpg   Before Liner.jpg   After Liner.jpg   After Liner 2.jpg  

Florida.jpg  
post #8 of 9 Old 04-25-2017, 11:32 PM
Cherokeegrrl
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I wouldn't dream of taking my XJ on the beach. Sand is just as evil as mud, maybe even more so!

The new XJ won't be as tall as the '92, and far more streetable. But hopefully it'll be just as badass! Just brought it home last Sunday, and the only mod so far is floor mats .... brought over from my '92, lolz!

Shout out to the red Jeep with the square headlights!!!

1992. XJ. Built.
"Mud is evil."
post #9 of 9 Old 04-26-2017, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Zyurazek
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokeegrrl View Post
I wouldn't dream of taking my XJ on the beach. Sand is just as evil as mud, maybe even more so!

The new XJ won't be as tall as the '92, and far more streetable. But hopefully it'll be just as badass! Just brought it home last Sunday, and the only mod so far is floor mats .... brought over from my '92, lolz!

Shout out to the red Jeep with the square headlights!!!
Haha! Sand is what pushed me to do some body repairs on the YJ... But I do agree, sand is evil! Last year I had to do a bunch of work on my girls XJ which had seen the beach for 10 years. For the last 3 years, it never saw sand though. But when I went to do the exhaust work, I kept banging my hand on the heat shield above the Cat and I sear, the entire beach was falling down from the shield... It was horrible! Even after I was done, sand was still falling down.

I look forward to seeing the newest XJ become one bad *** beast!

YES Red and square headlights ROCK! Gotta Love them!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.