New to wheeling - what's going on in central VA? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Virginia Jeep Forum > New to wheeling - what's going on in central VA?

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 06-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
Joseph1964
1990 YJ Wrangler 

New to wheeling - what's going on in central VA?

hello

i just bought my 1st jeep - 1990 - looking to get off the road and learn how to wheel - i'm not even sure what my yj can handle so I'll want to start slow - plus I will most likely have my 7 year old along as she loves the jeep life style and would'nt let me go anywhere in the jeep without her

anyone doing any wheeling in central VA??

jeep.jpg  
Joseph1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
Grand98
1998 ZJ 

Welcome. I'm in the same boat as I've only had my 98 ZJ only a few months and live in Colonial Heights. From what I know and have read, there aren't any spots in the area to wheel legally. Just about everything is towards the west in the mountains.
Grand98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
Joseph1964
1990 YJ Wrangler 

hi grand98 - yes 3 hours to shoe creek and to flag pole - would love to find some stuff closer - even if it's just running fire roads or beaches
Joseph1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
Grand98
1998 ZJ 

The closest beach that you can drive on is down in Nags Head, N.C. and its $50 for a one week pass and you have to sit thru a short class. As far as anything close to Richmond, Im at a loss. You pretty much have to know someone with alot of private property thatll let you wheel there. But if you find somewhere, let me know.
Grand98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #5
Joseph1964
1990 YJ Wrangler 

yeah, i'm heading to obx in july - thanks for the heads up on the beach pass - and yes, if i find some place close to home i;ll let you know
Unread 06-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

In Richmond as well, and like others have said there really isn't anything other than private land if you're lucky enough to know someone. There's a lot of public trails out west in the mountains, Rausch Creek is a few hours away up in PA, Uwharrie national park a couple hours down in NC, and there's Big Dog up in MD that opens to the public some of the year. Crozet used to be fun, but they're in the middle of some bs legal stuff right now over zoning/legal use due to complaints from some tree huggers. http://www.cvilletomorrow.org/news/a...-crozet-jeeps/

OBX isn't exactly offroading, you can only drive in a straight line at 5 mph along some of the more southern beaches where you can park for the day. I used to go every year but the environmentalists have ruined it and you can't even light up a grill out there anymore without getting hassled. Didn't used to have to pay to drive on the beach either.
Unread 06-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Check this out and find what's close to you: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...e17cb6dd0e881d
Unread 06-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph1964 View Post
yeah, i'm heading to obx in july - thanks for the heads up on the beach pass - and yes, if i find some place close to home i;ll let you know
Look up Carova Beach. It's still free.
Unread 06-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
Joseph1964
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Cool - thanks
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:40 AM   #10
EpsilonxSigma
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Hey guys, I live in Charlottesville. There are many places up towards the mountains, and I know of a few trails out in the Free Union area. When I still had my TJ, I used to ride trails on my Aunt and Uncle's 1000 acre spread up towards Barboursville. It has a good mix pasture bottom for mudholes and some creeks and gullies in the timber stands. Got my jeep stuck in one for about 4 hours. A jack might have got me out in 10 minutes, but there is something to be said for digging out the mud by hand and constructing a fulcrum out of downed 6" diameter pines. O.o

I just bought my XJ and it's bone stock for right now, but if any of you want to do some scouting for sweet trails, let me know. I'm always down to ride.

P.S. That's a clean looking YJ
EpsilonxSigma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #11
Joseph1964
1990 YJ Wrangler 

hey EPSILONXSIGMA - that all sounds great - and thanks for the compliment on my rig - I had it up to shoe creek and she got up and down on wet trails so i'm happy with her - but looking to mod - are you on virginia off road warriors on FB? pretty active group always looking to wheel https://www.facebook.com/groups/Virg...froadWarriors/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.