New to the Fredericksburg area - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-22-2014, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

New to the Fredericksburg area

Hi Folks,

I'm in the process of trying to settle into the Fredericksburg area. I lived for several years in San Diego, CA. I got here early Saturday morning & will be looking at places to stay since I picked up a job here. I'm currently staying at a hotel in Fredericksburg.

I plan on getting a house with a garage so I can work on my junk & will be looking at a few places tomorrow. After I settle in, I'll go back to San Diego & get my truck, trailer, and tow my YJ back here.

Popping in to say hi.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-23-2014, 09:07 AM
blackitout
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome to VA. It's a beautiful state to be in. I'm envious you're driving across the country with your jeep. That sounds like a lot of fun.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-25-2014, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have been enjoying the new area and slowly getting to know my way around.

I found a house in King George that I like and put in an application for it on Sunday. I have not gotten an answer yet partially due to having to deal with two real estate brokers (mine & the other party). If I don't get a go-ahead answer by tomorrow, I'll probably start looking elsewhere.

post #4 of 14 Old 03-09-2014, 04:44 PM
JK_HVGC
2013 JK Wrangler 

I love down in Spotsylvania, absolutely love the area. I also just moved out here from San Diego. I just picked up my first jeep a couple of days ago. I haven't found any trails in the local area, but am looking at going out to do Shoe Creek and possibly Big Levels next weekend. Have fun, enjoy the area.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-09-2014, 07:22 PM
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the area. You can check out www.novajeepers.net for a local club.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-15-2014, 10:28 PM
wilywillie
2008 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to Virginia!
Check the stick at the top of the VA page for a good list of trails here. They're very different from SD and basically everything out west. Tends to be very tight, very overgrown, and very short by comparison!

Check out Oak Ridge, in Nelson County....It's private, but they have events a few times a year for a small fee (~$100/rig). Wherever you go here, you'll love red Virginia clay, especially when it's wet:-(

I'm just here for the gasoline. --Max

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-16-2014, 10:39 AM
survivor
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm in the process of trying to settle into the Fredericksburg area. I lived for several years in San Diego, CA. I got here early Saturday morning & will be looking at places to stay since I picked up a job here. I'm currently staying at a hotel in Fredericksburg.

I plan on getting a house with a garage so I can work on my junk & will be looking at a few places tomorrow. After I settle in, I'll go back to San Diego & get my truck, trailer, and tow my YJ back here.

Popping in to say hi.
Hey Joe! I didn't know that your moved out from Golden State. You will be MISSED from US! Hope VA will treat u well.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-16-2014, 10:43 AM
WNUNEZJR
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My dad is selling house in manassas if your interested its brand new you would be the 1st owner.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-16-2014, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info and welcomes guys.

Sorry I haven't been back to check this thread lately. I went without internet at my new place for about a week while waiting for it to be installed, along with cable TV, and now starting to catch-up on all sorts of things.

As you folks know, the weather has been all over the map. It hasn't effected me too much with the exception of coming home early from work one day because they were expecting 8-10" of snow & my little commuter car (2010 Hyundai Accent hatchback) doesn't cut the mustard once the roads get too bad. Plus, I'm a newbie at driving on icy/snowy/black ice roads.

I did join the local VFW since I'm a vet who qualifies to join. I have met some nice folks there. Its the one in Colonial Beach, which is ~8 miles from my home.

Diggin the new house out in the countryside too.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-16-2014, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivor View Post
Hey Joe! I didn't know that your moved out from Golden State. You will be MISSED from US! Hope VA will treat u well.
Hi Scott! Good to see you pop-in.

Yea, I miss all my friends & family back in San Diego. I needed a better job that suites my goals better & it just so happens that it is here in VA & not SoCal.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-16-2014, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNUNEZJR View Post
My dad is selling house in manassas if your interested its brand new you would be the 1st owner.
I signed a 12 month lease on the place that I'm in right now back on Feb 27th, or else I'd be interested in checking it out. Plus, my home in San Diego will likely be on the market in about a month or so. When it sells, I won't have two places to support. Making two payments is no fun. There are a couple minor things I'm having done to my house in San Diego, so it shouldn't be long before its condition will be like a model home & ready to rock & roll.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-02-2014, 07:26 PM
Marinerider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Just got orders to ol' Quantico, Va. Looking to live in Stafford. Should be up that way sometime between June and September. Looking forward to not deploying all the time and actually getting the opportunity to take my DJ (Daddy's Jeep as my kids call it) out in the woods for some wheeling and camping.

See y'all then,

Pete
post #13 of 14 Old 04-10-2014, 06:42 PM
brendenv

Welcome to the area that has 0 good off road trails within an hour! Haha red cloud off road park in Woodbridge is supposed to be pretty nice. Also check out flagpole and meadow knob in Harrisonburg which is 3 hours away but to me it's worth the drive. 5 hour trail. Shoe creek in Charlottesville is the same distance as flagpole that's harder and shorter. Not a big off road/jeep scene in this area. I live in Spotsylvania and the only thing here is basically mud puddles. Attached are some pics of flagpole and shoe creek. First 3 are shoe creek the rest are flagpole. Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1397176823.716565.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  244.6 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1397176833.353316.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  244.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1397176854.699240.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  224.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1397176871.837824.jpg
Size:  127.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1397176877.595938.jpg
Size:  220.6 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1397176884.584656.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  203.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1397176891.242833.jpg
Size:  178.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1397176897.319817.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  160.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1397176903.064335.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  128.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1397176908.877852.jpg
Size:  196.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1397176917.793530.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  313.5 KB

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #14 of 14 Old 04-14-2014, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinerider View Post
Just got orders to ol' Quantico, Va. Looking to live in Stafford. Should be up that way sometime between June and September. Looking forward to not deploying all the time and actually getting the opportunity to take my DJ (Daddy's Jeep as my kids call it) out in the woods for some wheeling and camping.
See y'all then,
Pete
Hi Pete, Either pop back into this thread or shoot me a PM. I should have my junk out here by then, although it will be under the knife again before too long.

Ahh, 29 Palms. I have wheeled Johnson Valley/Hammers trails many times & it's one of my favorite places to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendenv View Post
Welcome to the area that has 0 good off road trails within an hour! Haha red cloud off road park in Woodbridge is supposed to be pretty nice. Also check out flagpole and meadow knob in Harrisonburg which is 3 hours away but to me it's worth the drive. 5 hour trail. Shoe creek in Charlottesville is the same distance as flagpole that's harder and shorter. Not a big off road/jeep scene in this area. I live in Spotsylvania and the only thing here is basically mud puddles. Attached are some pics of flagpole and shoe creek. First 3 are shoe creek the rest are flagpole.
I'll be hitting up some wheelin' places by around June/July timeframe. So thanks for the heads-up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.