Need trail help for GWNF - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Virginia Jeep Forum > Need trail help for GWNF

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Tweaks at JeepHutJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 09-20-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
lathan888
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Need trail help for GWNF

Hi All....I know there are several trails in the Sherando Lake/ Charlottesville area:
Kennedy Ridge
Cold Spring
Stony Run
Bald Mountain

I think I have found and run stony run...the one that starts 7mi (on the left) of coal road which is just before you hit the entrance to Sherando Lake park. It has the bus close to the end of the trail?

Where are the other trails in the area? I live in Richmond so the 1.5 hour trip to Sherando is nice. I ran some trails year ago- peters mill run, taskers gap in the GWNF but they are 2x far away, up near luray caverns.

Can anyone give me good directions to some of the trails closer to Richmond and perhaps around sherando lake area?

For those that dont know stony run...it is a nice trail, very rocky but easily passable in a stock jeep. Toward the end there are a couple mud areas depending on rain. It is about 12 miles long....start is on coal road...7mi and the trail is on your left, not well marked...basically an open gate. It ends up on the blue ridge parkway. Some points have big rocks and hairpin turns so at times it is bumpy and slow....

Owner of a 1 owner 93 XJ county trim, 4.0, AT, 8.25 rear and 3.5 gears. It has goodies like pw/pl, cc, tilt, cd changer, keyless entry, rear wiper and defrost...overall a nice old jeep, my fifth owning previous wanglers and commander
[/COLOR] also own/restored a 1972 Pontiac Lemans GT originally owned by my grandmom....39k original miles.
my 72 pontiac musclecar
lathan888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yup thats the enternce on coal road. I just found that myself eailer this week. I live less than 5 miles from that trail head. The way a usualy get on that trail is form the parkway, or from the opposite direction you went. Also their are 3 trails (and more side ones) in the big levels area. Yes their NOT well marked, thats why you mark them as you wheel them. Use orange plastic tape and wrap it around a tree at eye height. Shoe creek isn't too far from the Stony run trail, about a 30 minute drive down the mountian towards 29, then you turn on some side roads...hey next time your out this way tell me, I know this area preaty well.

BWTM: Join the Southside Jeepers their absed in Richmond and come out my way to do a lot of their wheelin. Join the forum -- http://southsidejeepers.freeforums.org/
Unread 09-20-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

NOTHING on this side of the state as far as I can tell (at least nothing 'legal').

#27. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I know of a few private land places too. I havn't talked to the landowners for awhile now, not since last winter when a bunch of guys had a party/bonfire just before a ice storm last February. I remember waking up the next morning and seeing how some of the fellas rutted up the field really bad, never heard of what the landowner thought; most likely not good. That place had a nice woods we B/S in...and on the other place, the landowner died last month.

I think their are some in the Jamestown area, and the Williamsburg area
Unread 09-24-2008, 06:36 PM   #5
lathan888
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Can someone post directions to shoe creek? perhaps directions to shoe creek from lake sherando?
Owner of a 1 owner 93 XJ county trim, 4.0, AT, 8.25 rear and 3.5 gears. It has goodies like pw/pl, cc, tilt, cd changer, keyless entry, rear wiper and defrost...overall a nice old jeep, my fifth owning previous wanglers and commander
[/COLOR] also own/restored a 1972 Pontiac Lemans GT originally owned by my grandmom....39k original miles.
my 72 pontiac musclecar
Unread 09-29-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
lathan888
1993 XJ Cherokee 

bump,,bump
my 72 pontiac musclecar
Unread 05-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
jdarling75
2013 JK Wrangler 

trails

Can someone provide me with dir to stony run trail. I would like to run that trail. I live in lynchburg. I have run shoe creek trail. If anyone wants to go wheeling on the weekends let me know. If anyony has info on more trails let me know. thanks
jdarling75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
cwb22
2011 JK Wrangler 

I found shoe creek by punching it into my GPS. It took me right to it, I would have never found it other wise!!
cwb22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
jdarling75
2013 JK Wrangler 

put it in my gps could not find it. Came up with a few roads in Richmond. Any body have dir for stony run trail.
jdarling75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #10
b0b11
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdarling75 View Post
put it in my gps could not find it. Came up with a few roads in Richmond. Any body have dir for stony run trail.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f327/...hmond-1184788/
b0b11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.