Need Recomendation for Bumper and Bull Bar Installation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Virginia Jeep Forum > Need Recomendation for Bumper and Bull Bar Installation

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 08-26-2015, 08:15 PM   #1
Wordsworth

Need Recomendation for Bumper and Bull Bar Installation

I purchased a new rear bumper and front bull bar for my 2011 Unlimited and need a recommendation for a place that can quickly install in Northern VA. Any recommendations?

Wordsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Moved from JK tech.

(2011-2016)
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2015, 07:17 AM   #3
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

What bumper/bull bar did you buy?

A bumper is relatively easy to install if you have a friend to help lift it. Aftermarket bumpers are definitely heavier than the stock plastic bumper.

Usually only about 6-8 bolts that have to be installed.
Political Correctness offends me.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2015, 01:05 PM   #4
79cj7amc304auto
2013 JK Wrangler 

Do it... it's easier than you think and afterwards you'll feel so empowered that you'll never take it to a mechanic again. What type of bumper did you get? Some installs require cutting the frame ends and/or drilling new mounting bolt holes on the side of the frame rails. Easier than it sounds. Jeepforum.com: putting dealerships and mechanics outta business!!!!
79cj7amc304auto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2015, 04:38 PM   #5
SlackJawedYokel
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Where in NOVA are you?
While I fully agree with the do it yourself replies I can also understand there may be circumstances preventing that.
Have you tried hitting up a local club? You may find some assistance there for the price of pizza and beer.
Adrenaline Offroad in Burtonsville, MD would be my first suggestion for a shop.
Several others coming in a distant second are C&P offroad in Gainesville, Hi-Tech in Chantilly, Extreme Offroad in Fredericksburg, and Chaos Fab shop in Winchester.
But try it yourself first if you can, it's not like you can't drive it if you get in over your head and need to take it somewhere.

Good luck
Unread 09-04-2015, 02:16 PM   #6
Wordsworth

Thank you all for your suggestions. This is the first Jeep I have owned and I should have been prepared to roll up my sleeves and do these projects myself. I'm not sure if it was you all questioning my manhood :-p or my conscience telling me to man up but I went ahead and installed both the rear bumper guards and the front bull bar myself. Honestly, if the directions hadn't been so terribly bad and the step by step pictures so unhelpful, both would have been hour long projects. Either way, thanks again for the suggestions. Now one last question - installing the front bull bar with skid plate (http://www.extremeterrain.com/barric...k-j100162.html) required that I remove the front factory air dam under the front bumper. The instructions for installation of the bull bar suggest that I try to cut the air dam so that it will fit back over the bull bar mountings and back in place with newly cut holes. Do I really need to put the air dam back on the jeep? I have seen a lot of opinions suggesting it has no use and others that say it affects MPG on highway and limits hood rattle etc. The thought of trying to cut the air dam to fit back on it making me grumpy. Do I really need it?
Wordsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2015, 02:37 PM   #7
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsworth View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions. This is the first Jeep I have owned and I should have been prepared to roll up my sleeves and do these projects myself. I'm not sure if it was you all questioning my manhood :-p or my conscience telling me to man up but I went ahead and installed both the rear bumper guards and the front bull bar myself. Honestly, if the directions hadn't been so terribly bad and the step by step pictures so unhelpful, both would have been hour long projects. Either way, thanks again for the suggestions. Now one last question - installing the front bull bar with skid plate (http://www.extremeterrain.com/barric...k-j100162.html) required that I remove the front factory air dam under the front bumper. The instructions for installation of the bull bar suggest that I try to cut the air dam so that it will fit back over the bull bar mountings and back in place with newly cut holes. Do I really need to put the air dam back on the jeep? I have seen a lot of opinions suggesting it has no use and others that say it affects MPG on highway and limits hood rattle etc. The thought of trying to cut the air dam to fit back on it making me grumpy. Do I really need it?
Not questioning your manhood.
I think most Jeepers do their own work for one or two of the following reasons:
1. We are cheap bastards who refuse to pay someone else to do what we think we can do ourselves.
2. We don't trust someone else to do it correctly.
(at least those are my reasons for doing everything myself, haha!).

Air Damn? I have run without it for so long that I forgot it even had one in the first place. No, you do not need to reinstall it. Not having one may affect MPG and/or cause hood flutter. BUT, if you own a Jeep, you obviously are not very concerned about MPG.
Political Correctness offends me.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.