Need boat mechanic HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Virginia Jeep Forum > Need boat mechanic HELP

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 05-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
TonkaTj04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Need boat mechanic HELP

I live in Zuni, VA. The boat is a 1998 Bayliner Ciera 5.7L mercruiser alpha one outdrive. The boat starts and runs perfect. We put it in the water and it starts and idles just fine. We pulled away from the docks and that's when we have trouble lol at Wide Open Throttle it will not plane out the nose just points in the air, the RPM is right at 3500 but it just doesn't go???? NEED HELP my Grandparents get here thursday from Spain and I really want to take them out in it. If you know someone that knows what they are talking about when it comes to boats or if you do please let me know.
Thank you in advance to everyone.

FYI: if need be I can bring the boat to va beach, Williamsburg, surry, petersburg, Franklin, Suffolk, Newport news, Yorktown, Hampton, Norfolk anywhere in between those cities.

Yellow Jeep Club Member #18
ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
TonkaTj04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #2
BleepinJeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

make sure the prop is all the way down before you start to drive. Make sure it is capable of going all the way down before putting in. you should be able to raise and lower the prop with your thumb at a button on the left side of your throttle control. Once you get to speed then you can raise the prop up a little to plane out.

Sorry, I may not know all the technical terms...

Also, make sure there is not a lot of weight in the back of the boat. Like a 300 pounder with no people in the front of the boat.

A wise man once told me, "I am going to give you some advice; you can take it or leave it, but keep in mind that it is worth exactly what you paid for it"
BleepinJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
Coasttrash
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A boat like that weight won't matter. Are you saying at wide open the prop doesn't spin or does not plane out?
SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #105

Zone 4.25 lift, smittybilt stinger, smittybilt winch, 33 bfg km2, savvy arms, TW Shaft, rampage frameless top
Coasttrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
TonkaTj04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The motor goes all the way down just fine when it's out of the water, also when we were at the dock we made sure that the motor would go up and down all the way before doing a test drive.

The prop spins when the motor is engaged and it propels the boat through the water, however at full throttle the front of the boat comes up, the rpms are at 3500 and the boat will not plane. We tried with trim tabs down and up and the result was the same.

It is weird because one day it was working fine and the next it was not.
Unread 05-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
Coasttrash
2003 TJ Wrangler 

hmm you may have a spun prop.

Zone 4.25 lift, smittybilt stinger, smittybilt winch, 33 bfg km2, savvy arms, TW Shaft, rampage frameless top
Unread 05-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #6
TonkaTj04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How do you tell if that's it? Just by removing the prop or is it easier? I've done some work to the boat, I have replaced the old prop that was with the boat when we bought it with the same thing just new lol
Unread 05-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
Coasttrash
2003 TJ Wrangler 

here is a quick link http://www.mercstuff.com/spunprop.htm google spun boat prop if you need more help. This may or may not be your problem just and idea.

Unread 05-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
TonkaTj04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

""To check it make 2 marks opposite each other on the inner and outer hub. Then try it again. If they are not lined up as marked then the prop needs to be re-hubbed.""

I will try this tomorrow and see if it changes. Might even take prop off and snap pics and post them. If there is anything else other than making marks and seeing if it's off after we test it in the water please let me know.

Also, THANK YOU SOO MUCH EVERYONE!
Unread 05-19-2012, 10:21 PM   #9
TonkaTj04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looking at link now good info. Thanks man!!! :-)
Unread 05-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
Jon-joN
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Make sure you put some grease on the splints when you take the prop off. Also that motor should spin up faster, it could be the motor itself. Could be a bad bearing to the out drive, or as said above a spun prop or if you hit something, mabe changed it's pitch. There are countless things it could be. And just for future references, ethanol is a boat motors worse enemy
Jon-joN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
TonkaTj04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I can't find anything wrong with the prop and we didn't have time today to put it in the water. I guess my only option left is to take it to a professional and pray they can get it working in time. Anyone know of a reputable shop?
Unread 05-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
toynrnd
1951 CJ3A 

Try this place http://www.baypropeller.com
toynrnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.