GW state forest in VA, LOOKIN TO GO! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Virginia Jeep Forum > GW state forest in VA, LOOKIN TO GO!

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 09-06-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
dk02wrangler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

GW state forest in VA, LOOKIN TO GO!

Hey guys,
I'm a college student at my second year at JMU looking for some info on GW state forest. Being that I am in Harrisonburg, the forest is the closest OHV land that i would travel to.
I wanted to know what the trails are like. I've been looking around the web and it looks as if they have everything from easy to hard and difficult trails. I have an 02 with a 3 inch tera lift and 32's on stock dana 35's. (Read my sig for more) Will I be ok? Or should i wait till the cash comes in next summer to try and prepare better. Also, which trail heads lead to easy to moderate trail riding? I don't have much funds or resources to pay for a broken part and i drive the jeep back and forth from Jersey to school. I have been off-road a couple times before with a friend in upstate NY and i am comfortable with most trails I feel that my auto and d35 could take. ANY help or input is much appreciated!
Cheers,
Dan

dk02wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
dk02wrangler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

bump
Unread 09-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
frAnken_rubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've been on a couple of trail rides out there myself in a 04 sahara 4" lift and 33s and a stock rubicon no issues. Most trails are stock friendly, but I know there are a couple that are recommended to have some lift and armor on major components. Check with some of the local clubs as fall is just around the corner and I know there are some trail rides scheduled soon.
frAnken_rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
dk02wrangler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I'm plannin on just going out there since it is so close and check it out. Any fees? Or is it free to public access?
Unread 09-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
frAnken_rubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've heard talk about a $5 fee, but since I was there last october it was free.
frAnken_rubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 05:06 AM   #6
joeglock
2008 JK Wrangler 

I want to do a trip down there the 25th of sept. I was thinking potts mountain.
joeglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 05:26 AM   #7
dk02wrangler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'd be more than happy to go along with you. Whats the rating on potts mountain? I'm not lookin to blow up my 35, so anything thats easy to moderate i'm up for.
Unread 09-13-2010, 05:38 AM   #8
joeglock
2008 JK Wrangler 

I am not sure what it is rated. it is a bit of drive from harrisonburg. I missed that in your original post. Last time i was down your your area they where shutting down the alot of the trails there. not sure what is still open there.
Unread 09-13-2010, 07:12 AM   #9
BigRigoTJ
2002 TJ Wrangler 

GWNF Edinburg Gap OHV Trail is a 6 mile trail that consists of dirt, loose rocks, very little mud, and at times big rocks. There is a 5 dollar all day pass that you can buy at the shell gas station in the town of Edinburg. The trail takes you up a mountain to a tower where you can turn around or try going down the other side. I have a 02 TJ 4" lift with 33's and stock Dana 35 and 30. I had no problem getting up to the top. At some points 4 low was helpfull on some inclines. An H3 made it up there as well so any TJ, JK, or XJ should make it.
Unread 09-13-2010, 07:44 AM   #10
joeglock
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just called the forest service Flag pole second mountain, and dictum ridge are still open. the other trails have been closed.

so we can go there. those trails are fun. the few hard spots have by passes.
Unread 09-13-2010, 07:55 AM   #11
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

GWNF is decent wheeling, very stock friendly. A lot has closed down but as stated Dictum (which is not really stock friendly), Second Mountain (seasonal), Reddish Knob, and Union trails are still open. Check my build thread for pics of some of the trails. So far all my wheeling pics are from there haha. dk02Wrangler, whats your Jeep look like, I may have seen you around as I live 5 min. from Harrisonburg and I am always going there.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 07:57 AM   #12
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

No fees for the trails closer to Harrisonburg, and it takes maybe 15 min. from Harrisonburg to get to the trails.
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #13
dk02wrangler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

BigRigoTJ, Thanks for the additional info, glad to know an h3 made it.... haha.

ibjeepin95, My TJ has a 3 inch tera lift, dark gray paint, and of course the bushcrackers, also I never drive with the top up and sometimes the doors are off (cats like to jump in when their off at night). I go to JMU and i'm driving back and forth to classes so you probably will run into me sooner or later. I'm trying to go this weekend to hit a trail or two and i don't want to go alone, would you be interested?
-Dan
Unread 09-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #14
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hey,

I'm at JMU literally every weekend (The gf goes there and is a sophomore) and we are always out in the GW. I'm on 32's also and always looking for someone to go with. We usually head out from Swietzer Lake and go up to flagpole or reddish knob, or head down to meadow knob but are always open to new stuff. We went out a week and a half ago and did an 18.6 mile loop ending up down by Bridgewater and it was real nice. You'll be fine on 32's with your open d35. Despite what people say you can beat on it pretty hard and be fine. It's when youre locked that it starts to want to consume itself

We are probably heading out either this upcoming weekend or the one after so let me know if youre interested...

Btw I think I've seen your Jeep in StoneGate before?

And Dukes>VT
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #15
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

And I can't break anything out there either because I have to drive 4 hours back to Norfolk for classes during the week. so I wheel conservatively
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.