good places to ride? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Virginia Jeep Forum > good places to ride?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 11-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
mudovertarmac

good places to ride?

Hello fellow mud worshipers and rock lovers im new to the virginia/ norfolk area and im lookin for good places to ride any help would be greatly appreciated

mudovertarmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
Smitty0311

My best advice would be to join and jeep club and hit trails with them, because there aren't any legal places to wheel in Hampton roads.
Smitty0311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #3
mudovertarmac

Thanks how about anything close by? Im willing to drive a couple hours
mudovertarmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
Davetopay
2005 LJ Wrangler 

George Washington Nat'l Forest is the hot ticket in VA.

Like mentioned above, get with a local club and they will clue you in. ANYTHING that is not in the forest and marked as a legal trail is illegal in VA. No power lines, no gas lines, none of it. There ARE private property trails, but you need permission in writing to access them or membership in an affiliated organization.
Davetopay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
Smitty0311

Or you could got to Crozet, Va and wheel up there. My club goes up there a good amount and everyone always has a good time. Or make friends with someone who owns private property somewhere and will let you wheel on it.
Unread 11-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
Davetopay
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty0311 View Post
Or you could got to Crozet, Va and wheel up there. My club goes up there a good amount and everyone always has a good time. Or make friends with someone who owns private property somewhere and will let you wheel on it.

This is where being a member of the club helps. You can't just show up at Crozet and bash your brains out on bodyshop because you feel like it.
Davetopay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Actually that is kind of incorrect....

The only membership that i have (other then UFWDA and VA4WDA) it out at RCPFA (Crozet) and that is not really considered a "club". It is a membership to access private land and go wheeling.

If you are not a member of RCPFA you can either join us for an "open" run, they have them like 4-6 times a year now and see what it is like or, post up on thier website that you are not a member and are looking to come out and ride and join. The rule is that you need to have at least 2 rigs at all times.

There is even an open run the 10-11th of Dec supporting "toys for tots."

If you decide to join for the year its a whopping $25 and you get access to the members only runs and cookouts and stuff. Wheeling fees are $25 for a day or $40 for the weekend for members (like +$5 for non members). They even have their own camping area. Considering the price of gas, the mileage savings insted of driving down to other sites is worth the membership or fee.

If you post up looking for a 2nd rig and member to run with you should have no problem finding someone to partner up with given enough notice. I knew no one a few months ago but have 10-15 current members contacts that i can post up to on "very short notice" and wheel with.

I joined in september and went out 3 times since with people who were just looking to have someone show them around. It is really a great place to wheel and you can get around it and have fun with "normal" modifications.

check out thier website at http://www.rcpfa.com/

in the immortal words of "Viper"...if you cant find a wingman give me a call....I'll wheel with ya...
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
jeep11484
2014 JK Wrangler 

Agreed! Crozret is a great place to go.

Mike, not sure if you remember me but we wheeled together at shoe creek and I drove the steel blue TJ. Well I sold that and have been on the hunt for another TJ and as soon as I buy one I would love to get up with you and hit Crozet on day. Gonna check one out tomorrow and hopefully bring her home.

QUOTE=Redmanchew;12587209]Actually that is kind of incorrect....

The only membership that i have (other then UFWDA and VA4WDA) it out at RCPFA (Crozet) and that is not really considered a "club". It is a membership to access private land and go wheeling.

If you are not a member of RCPFA you can either join us for an "open" run, they have them like 4-6 times a year now and see what it is like or, post up on thier website that you are not a member and are looking to come out and ride and join. The rule is that you need to have at least 2 rigs at all times.

There is even an open run the 10-11th of Dec supporting "toys for tots."

If you decide to join for the year its a whopping $25 and you get access to the members only runs and cookouts and stuff. Wheeling fees are $25 for a day or $40 for the weekend for members (like +$5 for non members). They even have their own camping area. Considering the price of gas, the mileage savings insted of driving down to other sites is worth the membership or fee.

If you post up looking for a 2nd rig and member to run with you should have no problem finding someone to partner up with given enough notice. I knew no one a few months ago but have 10-15 current members contacts that i can post up to on "very short notice" and wheel with.

I joined in september and went out 3 times since with people who were just looking to have someone show them around. It is really a great place to wheel and you can get around it and have fun with "normal" modifications.

check out thier website at http://www.rcpfa.com/

in the immortal words of "Viper"...if you cant find a wingman give me a call....I'll wheel with ya...[/QUOTE]
jeep11484 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

yea that was a sloppy one coming down the backside in the snow....

Oh and wiping with a beagle..... was that with the fur or against it?

Let me know i'm about to put my hard top on for the winter so wont be doing anything crazy out there......
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #10
TylerCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Join us at HRJC.org! There's a local spot off Northhampton Blvd that we go to every now and then. I'll be glad to take you sometime. Plus, every now and then in Suffolk, Starr motors is open every now and then, they have 2 nice rock courses and a bunch of mud.

- 3" Spring / 1" Shackle Lift, 33x12.5x15 KM1's, Moser One-Piece Axle Shafts, Rhino Line'd, Bestop Supertop, Cut Front Bumper, Fabricated Rear Bumper.
TylerCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 03:33 AM   #11
Smitty0311

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerCJ7
Join us at HRJC.org! There's a local spot off Northhampton Blvd that we go to every now and then. I'll be glad to take you sometime. Plus, every now and then in Suffolk, Starr motors is open every now and then, they have 2 nice rock courses and a bunch of mud.
How often do you guys wheel at the Northhampton spot?
Unread 12-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #12
TylerCJ7
1985 CJ7 

Usually every weekend unless some of us have duty or school.

- 3" Spring / 1" Shackle Lift, 33x12.5x15 KM1's, Moser One-Piece Axle Shafts, Rhino Line'd, Bestop Supertop, Cut Front Bumper, Fabricated Rear Bumper.
TylerCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #13
Smitty0311

Is that a legal spot? Because I wasn't aware of any legal places to wheel around here
Unread 12-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #14
CBlakeNS

Starr Motors (Jeep dealership) in Suffolk has some events there with some pretty sweet trails for built and not-built jeeps. They have rockcrawling and everything. Real neat place however it isn't always open.

Just saw where someone mentioned Starr Motor's already....didn't read the entire thread.
CBlakeNS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #15
Smitty0311

Yea my jeep club goes all the time, I actually went we them a couple of weeks ago but I was just riding along because my jeep was in the shop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.