First Offroad/Camp Trip Suggestions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-22-2014, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
mattpatsel
1998 TJ Wrangler 

First Offroad/Camp Trip Suggestions

So me and a buddy of mine are looking into doing a little bit of offroading and camping over night in a few months. I live about 20 minutes south of Richmond, does anyone have any sort of suggestions on a good location? If so, can you please give me the hookup with all the information I'm going to need. The full run around.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-23-2014, 08:51 PM
pcwolf
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Matt ... I'm down in Newport News with Middle Penninsula Jeep ... I can steer you to some good places to run and camp ... can you run down any Saturday for one of our Coffee Runs at Dunkin Donuts in NN? Easier to give you some skinny there than thru the intarwebs

-Phil

Man out standing in his field
o|||||||o
post #3 of 8 Old 01-26-2014, 01:52 PM
yamifj1200
1997 ZJ 

Zj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpatsel View Post
So me and a buddy of mine are looking into doing a little bit of offroading and camping over night in a few months. I live about 20 minutes south of Richmond, does anyone have any sort of suggestions on a good location? If so, can you please give me the hookup with all the information I'm going to need. The full run around.

Thanks for the help.
Matt, there are a number of places to drive off road and camp in Va. Sadly none of the ones I know of are close to central Va. The Shoe Creek trail, off of rt.56 in Nelson county is a good place to start. There are many off road trails off of rt.33 heading into west Va. Hope this helps get you started..

Eric M

post #4 of 8 Old 02-04-2014, 06:23 AM
0321Nick
2006 WK 

Try Flagpole Knob outside Harrisonburg. Great place to start as there are endless campsites.

KHAKI CLUB #65
2006 WK 4.7L V8 - Modified OME HD with Bilstein 5125s (28" length); JBA UCA; JKS Rear Discos; K&N CAI; PowerStop Discs; HyperTech; TOYO Open Country AT IIs 285/70/17; + some other goodies
post #5 of 8 Old 02-05-2014, 03:11 AM
wilywillie
2008 JK Wrangler 

The sticky at the top of the Virginia page has an interactive map:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...32386,8.453979

I run FR 162 (Big levels) a few times a year. Nelson County near Oak Ridge. Great camping. Ten mile trail from Coal Road to Blue Ridge Pkwy. You really should have a small lift and recovery equipment for it, since there are several long mud holes that are up to 3' deep. Nothing too technical. Call the USDF to see if it's open (seasonal access).

Supervisor's Office 1-888-265-0019 or 540-265-5100 (weekday hours)

Shoe Creek is only a few miles from its southern end (BRP) if you want to run both, and the creek crossings wash the mud from your undercarriage.

I'm just here for the gasoline. --Max

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-06-2014, 07:12 AM
XJsportG
2001 XJ Cherokee 

wilywillie couldn't be more correct. If you want come out to the Meet N Greet on the 12th and we can give you some info.

When: Wednesday Feb 12th @ 6:30pm
Where: Chipotle Mexican Restaurant, 11440 Midlothian Turnpike, Richmond, VA 23235
Other: There are other food places near by if people don't like that, right outside the mall with plenty of room and options if need be.

This is an "All Breeds" Meet N Greet, open to any 4x4. Invite all your friends who'd like to come out.

This Meet N Greet is Brought to you by RVA Rock Crawlers

A Richmond-based, family friendly group of Jeep and 4x4 owners who get together for off-roading, camping, wrenching and other related events. We do not charge dues but instead raise funds through the sale of stickers, shirts, etc. at our events.

Keep up with events at: www.RVARockCrawlers.com

Central Virginia Jeepers | RVA Rock Crawlers

Virginia
PM me for Maps and GPS Coordinates!
post #7 of 8 Old 02-07-2014, 10:12 PM
2014JKVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilywillie
The sticky at the top of the Virginia page has an interactive map: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...32386,8.453979 I run FR 162 (Big levels) a few times a year. Nelson County near Oak Ridge. Great camping. Ten mile trail from Coal Road to Blue Ridge Pkwy. You really should have a small lift and recovery equipment for it, since there are several long mud holes that are up to 3' deep. Nothing too technical. Call the USDF to see if it's open (seasonal access). Supervisor's Office 1-888-265-0019 or 540-265-5100 (weekday hours) Shoe Creek is only a few miles from its southern end (BRP) if you want to run both, and the creek crossings wash the mud from your undercarriage.
Great map!!! Lots of detail and work must have gone into it. Thanks so much for sharing.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-18-2014, 06:23 AM
RanRan
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Great info on the map thanks wilywillie.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.