(Central VA) Metro Richmond - Page 33 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Virginia Jeep Forum > (Central VA) Metro Richmond

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 07-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #481
Butterbuddha

2010 JK Wrangler 

Ah I see. Also located in Delorme map 54, A-3. Just finished watching all three parts of MattxBuddyxMatt's youtube videos of the trail. While it totally does appear to be out in BFE, it doesn't look like there is anything there to be worried about as far as testing the limits of your heep. That should ease the Mrs's mind methinks...

EDIT:AH man even better map on the MVUM, Map 27!

Unread 07-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #482
Butterbuddha

2010 JK Wrangler 

Whew ok. Thanks for the advice, wish I woulda followed it. LOL I thought my GPS located FR 162 and would therefore lead me through the switchbacks. Turns out not so much. I ended up (long story) going top down with my Delorme and MVUM to follow. And yeah neither of those are detailed enough for that! I had my GPS points for the top and bottom of the trail, so all I could do was point the heep at the road closest to the end coordinate!

So for the experienced folks.... when you are going DOWN the mountain and you reach the fork in the road with the brushguard bumper in the tree, if you don't go that way, does it still lead down to Coal Rd? The bumper way was closer to my gps so that is the way I went. After taking several dead end trails earlier in the day, I was really nervous going down down down that trail. We were in the wife's Grand which has lift and tires but not the clearance, flex, winch, or lockers of my JK. The further down we went the less confident I was that I could make it back up if it was a dead end. Fortunately we DID pop out on the road at the bottom, but it wasn't like I recalled seeing in the YouTube videos!
Unread 07-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #483
b0b11
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i dont remember seeing a bumper. easy to miss?

there is only one entrance / exit from the trail to coal road.

you cant go anywhere else as long as you are on the trail.
take a look at the google map again, and you will see...
37.983192,-79.073744

the worse thing i guess that could happen is you keep going in a circle around a switchback.
ppro_big_levels_05.jpg

b0b11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #484
Butterbuddha

2010 JK Wrangler 

Wow I have no idea where THAT sign was, I never saw it. LOL The bumper in the tree would probably be easy to miss if you were going bottom up, as it was fairly high in the tree (Kudos to that guy) as well as the opposite side of the tree.

I have again reviewed the google map. (Wish I had printed it out and had it with me!) I am guessing the very last swing out to the right is where I should have gone, instead of going more straight down to the coordinate. It wasn't impossible or anything, but it was worse than I expected and I am glad I didn't have to try to motivate the WJ back UP that path.
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #485
b0b11
2006 LJ Wrangler 

if you were traveling from south to north, you would only see the back of that sign.
it is facing towards coal road.
b0b11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #486
JPcpa
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Lots of good info. Any suggestions fora pretty nice cabin near an area to wheel on thanksgiving ? Trying to put a trip together with another family.
JPcpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #487
blackitout
2005 WK 

New Jeeper in Richmond if anyone wants to meet up. 05 WK 2” lift on 31s. Feel free to PM me.
blackitout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 07:07 AM   #488
XJsportG
2001 XJ Cherokee 

When: Wednesday Feb 12th @ 6:30pm
Where: Chipotle Mexican Restaurant, 11440 Midlothian Turnpike, Richmond, VA 23235
Other: There are other food places near by if people don't like that, right outside the mall with plenty of room and options if need be.

This is an "All Breeds" Meet N Greet, open to any 4x4. Invite all your friends who'd like to come out.

This Meet N Greet is Brought to you by RVA Rock Crawlers

A Richmond-based, family friendly group of Jeep and 4x4 owners who get together for off-roading, camping, wrenching and other related events. We do not charge dues but instead raise funds through the sale of stickers, shirts, etc. at our events.

Keep up with events at: www.RVARockCrawlers.com

Virginia
PM me for Maps and GPS Coordinates!
XJsportG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 07:58 AM   #489
blackitout
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJsportG View Post
When: Wednesday Feb 12th @ 6:30pm
Where: Chipotle Mexican Restaurant, 11440 Midlothian Turnpike, Richmond, VA 23235
Other: There are other food places near by if people don't like that, right outside the mall with plenty of room and options if need be.

This is an "All Breeds" Meet N Greet, open to any 4x4. Invite all your friends who'd like to come out.

This Meet N Greet is Brought to you by RVA Rock Crawlers

A Richmond-based, family friendly group of Jeep and 4x4 owners who get together for off-roading, camping, wrenching and other related events. We do not charge dues but instead raise funds through the sale of stickers, shirts, etc. at our events.

Keep up with events at: www.RVARockCrawlers.com
I plan on being there
blackitout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #490
XJsportG
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Virginia
PM me for Maps and GPS Coordinates!
XJsportG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #491
Hoseman1553
2011 JK Wrangler 

New to the Forum. I noticed its been awhile since anyone posted. Any new events or local trips coming up? I'm located in Locust Grove (about 15 minutes West of Fredericksburg) if anybody wants to meet up sometime.
Hoseman1553 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.