(Central VA) Metro Richmond - Page 32 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Virginia Jeep Forum > (Central VA) Metro Richmond

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 02-25-2013, 03:43 AM   #466
04ollllloguy
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: , NoVa
Posts: 111
is shoe creek open year round? thinking about going up there this weekend or next.

04ollllloguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #467
XJsportG
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Glen Allen, Virginia
Posts: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ollllloguy View Post
is shoe creek open year round? thinking about going up there this weekend or next.
It is.
__________________
Central Virginia Jeepers | RVA Rock Crawlers

Virginia
PM me for Maps and GPS Coordinates!
XJsportG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #468
mattpatsel
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Colonial Heights, Virginia
Posts: 11
I'm new to these trails so is there a fee or something at Shoe Creek?
mattpatsel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #469
XJsportG
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Glen Allen, Virginia
Posts: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpatsel View Post
I'm new to these trails so is there a fee or something at Shoe Creek?
Only Peter's Mill & Taskers Gap have a fee.

Other privately owned parks will also have fees.

All other trails are free as long as they are open to the public.
__________________
Central Virginia Jeepers | RVA Rock Crawlers

Virginia
PM me for Maps and GPS Coordinates!
XJsportG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #470
yamifj1200
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 73
Shoe creek is open and free to drive across , but this time of year the backside of the mountain will have thick ice over the trail in places. Be very prepared if your heading up there in the near future..

Eric M
yamifj1200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #471
bmandubj10
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: , Virginia
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJsportG View Post
Jeep Meet!
Metro Richmond Meet and Greet!
February 19th, 2013 @ 6pm!
Sonic's Drive-In
11250 W BROAD ST
Glen Allen, Virginia 23060
Anymore jeep meets this month in Richmond?
__________________
- 2003 WJ Limited 4.7L 4x4, 3 inch IRO coil lift with Bilstein shocks, OME .5 inch spacers, adjustable IRO Track Bar. Beefy Tenneco Steering Stabilizer. 32 inch General Grabber AT2's, 5000k DDM Tuning HID lights. Magna Flow Cat-back exhaust system. Rola safari rack. IRO bump stops. Kevin's Offroad 2 1/4 A-Arm spacer.
bmandubj10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #472
Tigger01
Registered User
1984 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mechanicsville, VA
Posts: 373
Hay Everyone here is a good one for ya with in a 2 hr drive June 1st The Dick Myers Jeep Jam 2013 in Harrisonburg VA

Here is the Link to Pre-Register fill out the form now and you should get a call from them on Monday morning to Register.

The Tigger Jeep will be their again this Year.

http://www.dickmyerschryslerdodgejee...p-jam-2013.htm

Hope to See some of ya

Chris-Tigger
Tigger01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #473
jdarling75
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Lynchburg, VA
Posts: 6
Maps

I would be interested in maps. I was up at Shoe creek today. Anyone heading out between now and sun morning let me know. XJsportG let me know about the maps. Any info will help me. A friend of mine told me about shoe creek and i have been looking for other places. Thanks
jdarling75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #474
wilywillie
Web Wheeler
 
wilywillie's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdarling75 View Post
I would be interested in maps.
DeLorme Atlases are a sure bet. (ADC doesn't make paper maps anymore, rooster-suckers)
Check on Jeep Forum regional Virginia, and the only sticky is an interactive map that one of our own made (Matt?). Rt. 56 and Perkins Mill Rd. are the two ends of Shoe Creek Trail (aka Crabtree Falls)
__________________
I'm just here for the gasoline. --Max


http://i582.photobucket.com/albums/s...earthquake.jpg
wilywillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #475
Butterbuddha
Senior Member
 
Butterbuddha's Avatar
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hampton, VA
Posts: 869
Hey guys, got a few questions.

The Mrs wants to go on a just-us weekender trip. She is very much down for scenic drives. I, of course, am trying to squeeze in a little wheeling. What I am wondering is whats the story about Stony Run Jeep Trail, Bald Mountain Trail, etc. I want to shack up in hotel for the weekend, go for nice summer drive that is scenic for her and off pavement for me. Basically, what (AND WHERE) can I go that is not Potts, Flagpole, or Shoe Creek? Been around those parts plenty. I'll be alone, though-that bothers her more than me. LOL I don't think there are too crazy trails out there other than that stretch of Potts, but even some mud would be cool.

Help a Jeeper out!
__________________
YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
Butterbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #476
b0b11
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: chesapeake, va
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbuddha View Post
Hey guys, got a few questions.

The Mrs wants to go on a just-us weekender trip. She is very much down for scenic drives. I, of course, am trying to squeeze in a little wheeling. What I am wondering is whats the story about Stony Run Jeep Trail, Bald Mountain Trail, etc. I want to shack up in hotel for the weekend, go for nice summer drive that is scenic for her and off pavement for me. Basically, what (AND WHERE) can I go that is not Potts, Flagpole, or Shoe Creek? Been around those parts plenty. I'll be alone, though-that bothers her more than me. LOL I don't think there are too crazy trails out there other than that stretch of Potts, but even some mud would be cool.

Help a Jeeper out!
that is also called the big levels area. if you look at the map, there is a "straight" path up the mountain, and a path with switchbacks. straight path is harder, the switchbacks path is more of a scenic drive.
starting at the north end is going "up" the mountain.

2 vehicles of us spent 3 days camping there last summer. NOONE else came through the trail. no phone signals up there though.
its a very long walk to get help

FYI.. something has happened to the Virginia Legal OHV Trails google map.
alot of points / trails have dissapeared.
looks like google made some change...
b0b11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #477
Butterbuddha
Senior Member
 
Butterbuddha's Avatar
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hampton, VA
Posts: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0b11 View Post
that is also called the big levels area. if you look at the map, there is a "straight" path up the mountain, and a path with switchbacks. straight path is harder, the switchbacks path is more of a scenic drive.
starting at the north end is going "up" the mountain.

2 vehicles of us spent 3 days camping there last summer. NOONE else came through the trail. no phone signals up there though.
its a very long walk to get help

FYI.. something has happened to the Virginia Legal OHV Trails google map.
alot of points / trails have dissapeared.
looks like google made some change...
Sounds awesome, where is this "straight path up the mountain" start? Have you an interstate exit, intersection, google map screen cap?

Gotta find a local hotel!
__________________
YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
Butterbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #478
b0b11
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: chesapeake, va
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbuddha View Post
Sounds awesome, where is this "straight path up the mountain" start? Have you an interstate exit, intersection, google map screen cap?

Gotta find a local hotel!
use the google map on page 1 of this thread
here is the beginning at coal road

copy this into the google maps search box :
37.983192,-79.073757
b0b11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #479
Butterbuddha
Senior Member
 
Butterbuddha's Avatar
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hampton, VA
Posts: 869
OK I gotcha I follow that south and into the Bald Mountain Trail? Are there any trail markings, it looks sweet but super easy to get lost getting back to/from the Blue Ridge Parkway...
__________________
YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
Butterbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #480
b0b11
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: chesapeake, va
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbuddha View Post
OK I gotcha I follow that south and into the Bald Mountain Trail? Are there any trail markings, it looks sweet but super easy to get lost getting back to/from the Blue Ridge Parkway...
get this map and a compass or GPS
cant go wrong

http://www.natgeomaps.com/ti_789
b0b11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.