Big Levels campsites? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Virginia Jeep Forum > Big Levels campsites?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 05-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
CCJeep04
2004 WJ 

Big Levels campsites?

Are there any decent campsites along the Big Levels trail? I've searched and can't seem to come up with anything. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

-CC

CCJeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Tippyman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Theres a area in the middle of the trail with probably half a dozen sites and firepits. And heres others scattered along it. Toward the beginning of the trail there are several also.
Tippyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
XJsportG
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCJeep04 View Post
Are there any decent campsites along the Big Levels trail? I've searched and can't seem to come up with anything. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

-CC
There are quite a few a campsites, some you just have to look for. There are 2 Large camp sites, one at the top, and one at the bottom. But there are smaller ones strung out along the trail.

Here is a map I made for an upcoming trip. I labeled a few spots, along with some at Shoe Creek.

http://g.co/maps/erjhu

Virginia
PM me for Maps and GPS Coordinates!
XJsportG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
CCJeep04
2004 WJ 

Thanks for the info! XJ, looks like my crew will be heading up around the same time. If you see a convoy of 3-4 WJs and 1 XJ feel free to say hi.

-CC
CCJeep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
bmandubj10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJsportG View Post
There are quite a few a campsites, some you just have to look for. There are 2 Large camp sites, one at the top, and one at the bottom. But there are smaller ones strung out along the trail.

Here is a map I made for an upcoming trip. I labeled a few spots, along with some at Shoe Creek.

http://g.co/maps/erjhu
Thanks XJsport, I am going up with this group, hope we see you up there we can stop and talk for awhile about our Jeeps. My crew came up to some of the first meet and greets in richmond in short pump. I drive the White WJ and my parents live around the corner from your family.
- 2003 WJ Limited 4.7L 4x4, 3 inch IRO coil lift with Bilstein shocks, OME .5 inch spacers, adjustable IRO Track Bar. Beefy Tenneco Steering Stabilizer. 32 inch General Grabber AT2's, 5000k DDM Tuning HID lights. Magna Flow Cat-back exhaust system. Rola safari rack. IRO bump stops. Kevin's Offroad 2 1/4 A-Arm spacer.
bmandubj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2012, 01:22 AM   #6
04ollllloguy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

There is an awesome campsite on one of the ridges along the trail that has an exceptional view off both sides of the ridge. Where the site is is only 2-300 yards wide sorry i didnt save the lat/long we were pressed for time when we ran the trail but next time i want to mark the best sites on my map so i can find them again.
04ollllloguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
KEH1997
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You could camp in the hippie bus if you're brave enough.....

2011-09-17_18.41.32.jpg

Last edited by KEH1997; 06-02-2012 at 07:33 AM.. Reason: Misspelled hippie... whoops
KEH1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
2dswithaCJ5
2012 JK Wrangler 

This one is my favorite. It is level on the knoll, grassy and open. Definitely big enough to park several vehicles. Just don't go past this spot, as it is private property.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...906e1e1e1ca157
Unread 06-01-2012, 12:17 AM   #9
04ollllloguy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEH1997
You could camp in the hibbie bus if you're brave enough.....
That sounds fun! Got coordinates?
04ollllloguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 05:06 AM   #10
KEH1997
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ollllloguy View Post
That sounds fun! Got coordinates?
If you're running the trail bottom to top, it's probably a mile from the exit. Once the trail levels off a bit, you'll see it on the left...can't miss it.
Unread 06-02-2012, 04:41 AM   #11
XJsportG
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
You could camp in the hibbie bus if you're brave enough.....
If only that thing was still there.. Last time i was up there only the lower portion of the tub was left. Someone had cut up with a plasma cutter and removed the rest.

Our thoughts where someone stealing the metal for scrap, or the park service trying to clean it up.

Virginia
Unread 06-02-2012, 07:32 AM   #12
KEH1997
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJsportG View Post
If only that thing was still there.. Last time i was up there only the lower portion of the tub was left. Someone had cut up with a plasma cutter and removed the rest.
Oh man, that's disappointing. When were you there? I was there in August of last year and took the picture above...
Unread 06-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #13
Jon-joN
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Very disappointing, but my guess is park rangers, because if someone used a plasma cutter, I'm sure they didn't need the little bit of money that they would get from scraping it.
Jon-joN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #14
XJsportG
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Oh man, that's disappointing. When were you there? I was there in August of last year and took the picture above...
This past sept and it was half way. I will have to ask some friends who were just there if they saw anything

Virginia
Unread 06-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #15
KEH1997
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I ended up making a trip up there this evening actually. A friend and I wanted to do some wheeling so we headed that way. Turns out the whole bus is gone . I'm going to guess park rangers, also... the whole lot was clean. Granted, it was dark outside so I couldn't see really well, but it looked all clear to me. Glad I got to see it when it was still around...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.