Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Anybody here from Lynchburg Va?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  JOExFROMxNY 
#1 ·
If so, i was there last weekend and had a few questions. It is a pretty city with nice old buildings, but where the hell are all the people? We rode through town at 1:30 PM last friday and there were more people on my tour bus than on the street in the entire city. Lunchtime on a friday afternoon, WTF?? It looked like a movie set for the film "28 days later". There were so many empty and vacant stores that it reminded me of the south bronx in the 1980's. There are beautiful structures there, but what happened to the population. We were staying at the Holiday Inn on Main street not far from the river. It was like a plague hit the city or something. The only store with any people in it was a pawn shop. I got a good deal on an old Masonic ring, and everything else in the store was a pretty good deal. All the decor in any of the windows of the vacant stores i peeked through look like they would have looked in the 1940's. Dreary dingy wood paneling everywhere. Most of the stores looked as if they were vacant for a long while. We were near road 163 and main street, like around 12 st, 10 st, etc...

#2 ·
I went to college there. Most of the hub of Lynchburg isn't really in that area any more. They've been doing a lot to improve and bring back the downtown area you were in. The big area is Wards Rd. and that area. Near the big walmart and all the shopping. i used to work in that Starbucks right outside of Liberty University on Wards Rd. Its a great area of VA with wheeling close by and lots of great hiking and mountain areas.

#4 ·
it's got real nice historic architecture, and that memorial of the World War One soldier at the bottom of those long concrete staircases is cool. But it seems surreal walking around in a deserted city in the middle of an afternoon on a normal workday. I guess my opinion is swayed after walking around new york city for years even though i hate the hustle and bustle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.