Another Shoe Creek run - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Virginia Jeep Forum > Another Shoe Creek run

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #61
XJsportG
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromme
Before you go to Shoe Creek, read this:

http://www.va4wda.org/announcements.htm

Shoe Creek has never been worth the trip IMO, but even more now since you have to turn around and go back the same way. Your call...
Saw the link but dont see what you are talking about? You can enter and exit from rt 56 and at the bottom. Both ways are legal to enter and exit.

Virginia
PM me for Maps and GPS Coordinates!
XJsportG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 06:21 PM   #62
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Read it again and look at the map. No you can't. The bottom is private property and is not a legal exit.

http://www.va4wda.org/shoe-creek-map.htm
Unread 07-31-2011, 08:54 PM   #63
kdiacont2010
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Even more reason to build my own trails on my land... switch it to flagpole/ reddish knob? I've always enjoyed those trails
kdiacont2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 09:40 PM   #64
PeriwinkleZJ
1993 ZJ 

Yeah we were talking to a guy at the last meet about how nothing but the main trail is off limits. Which really surprised me since nothing is clearly marked, and I've been there numerous times over the past couple of years.
-1993 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 5.2, Mopar CAI, Borla headers, Borla Y-pipe, Turn down exhaust, 4" RC SA, 33x12.50r15 BfGoodrich Km2, Crown extended brake lines, IRO Double Shear Track bar, IRO HD tie rod, Home made Quick discos, E-fan, Heavy duty harness/9007 bulb conversion, HP30 WJ knuckles lockrite solid cover.

BUILD THREAD:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...-jeep-1133312/
PeriwinkleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 09:53 PM   #65
99WJCHRIS
1999 WJ 

Its all gay but I can understand the bottom being closed off. It comes out pretty much in someones driveway!! That piss me off too!
Unread 07-31-2011, 10:07 PM   #66
XJsportG
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromme
Read it again and look at the map. No you can't. The bottom is private property and is not a legal exit.

http://www.va4wda.org/shoe-creek-map.htm
The bottom is 100% legal.... its a public road that leads straight into the trail. Look at the map again and you can see the road number... i have and other people i know have talked to the people who live there. They have no problems with it. And most people start at the bottom anyways.

To help you understand more. Were the red begins at the bottom is were is the beginning/staging area. The road below it is a public road! There is nothing illegal about it.

Virginia
Unread 07-31-2011, 10:13 PM   #67
XJsportG
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdiacont2010
Even more reason to build my own trails on my land... switch it to flagpole/ reddish knob? I've always enjoyed those trails
Big levels/bald mtn. Would be alot closer.

Virginia
Unread 07-31-2011, 10:27 PM   #68
bcheung30
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJsportG

/bald mtn. Would be alot closer.
Just went today. Very rocky but made it all the way up in 2wd.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
bcheung30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 10:30 PM   #69
XJsportG
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcheung30

Just went today. Very rocky but made it all the way up in 2wd.

Just bald mtn?

And it can get pretty muddy up there. But its been supppppper dry recently.

Virginia
Unread 07-31-2011, 10:37 PM   #70
bcheung30
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJsportG

Just bald mtn?

And it can get pretty muddy up there. But its been supppppper dry recently.
Yeah very shallow mud holes and very few. Yes very dry so must dust before u hit the rocks. Took about 2 hr going straight up not the winding sissy stuff. I think if my odometer is right it was about 15-18 miles from bottom to the top where the parkway is. Here is the link to my build and on the couple last pages are pics and a video of my trip.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...9/index35.html

Unread 07-31-2011, 10:44 PM   #71
XJsportG
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcheung30

Yeah very shallow mud holes and very few. Yes very dry so must dust before u hit the rocks. Took about 2 hr going straight up not the winding sissy stuff. I think if my odometer is right it was about 15-18 miles from bottom to the top where the parkway is. Here is the link to my build and on the couple last pages are pics and a video of my trip.

Yeah i hit the run on the way home once. Just part of the trail. When i went there was a good amount of mud and damp ground. Alot more fun be not challenging.

The lower part from Coal rd. Is suppsed to be very challenging and were the must fun is. But its a good 4-5hr trail minium with a group.

Virginia
Unread 08-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #72
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJsportG View Post
The bottom is 100% legal.... its a public road that leads straight into the trail. Look at the map again and you can see the road number... i have and other people i know have talked to the people who live there. They have no problems with it. And most people start at the bottom anyways.

To help you understand more. Were the red begins at the bottom is were is the beginning/staging area. The road below it is a public road! There is nothing illegal about it.
Look, I'm not going to argue with you about it. The main hard road is public. The driveway (marked 827) that leads from the last stream crossing, past the man's house, and to the hard road is freakin private property, ok? A right of way was never deeded to the Forest Service so that is not authorized access without permission from the property owner. The red part of that map is the only part you can be on, and any marking in the white areas is private property.
Try and justify it however you want, but just because we've been using it for many years doesn't mean it was right. It was never right...
Questions? Send a message to the Land Use Officer at VA4WDA.
Unread 08-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #73
99WJCHRIS
1999 WJ 

The trail only takes like 2 hours to complete anyway. The long gravel road is whats freaking annoying!
I wish the gravel rd was what was off limits!!
Unread 08-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #74
yellow2kgt
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Just a heads up about Bald Mtn, The straight up paths at the bottom that bypass the winding stuff is illegal and off limits. If you look closely you will see a small sign or two that say it is off limits. Someone may have removed them but if you are caught on the path you will get ticketed. I know for a fact that Rangers do hide up there to catch people. I know it is not as fun but stay off of that path please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcheung30 View Post

Howell EFI, BDS 3.5" lift, M.O.R.E 5/8" Boomerang shackles, 1" Daystar BL, 1" JKS MML, TFI, Crager soft 8s w 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, Dana 30 E-Locker, Terra Flex SYE, Tom Woods CV shaft, Warn M8000.
yellow2kgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #75
bcheung30
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow2kgt
Just a heads up, The straight up paths at the bottom that bypass the winding stuff is illegal and off limits. If you look closely you will see a small sign or two that say it is off limits. Someone may have removed them but if you are caught on the path you will get ticketed. I know for a fact that Rangers do hide up there to catch people. I know it is not as fun but stay off of that path please.
Yeah I notice that at the first straight up path but u go up to the second there is no sign so idk. I never remember them every having that part off limit.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.