16th VA4WDA Annual at Lovingston VA Sept 19,20 - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Virginia Jeep Forum > 16th VA4WDA Annual at Lovingston VA Sept 19,20

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 09-13-2008, 08:30 PM   #46
RichardD
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Please delete this post

Sorry, thought I was on the edit screen, I double posted.

RichardD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2008, 11:19 PM   #47
tdogg55555
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Only 5 days left.............Still got things to pack and do to get her ready. Made good progress on the list though. Just waiting to see if the gas will go down before Thurs...
Unread 09-15-2008, 03:33 PM   #48
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardD View Post
Plenty of people wheel their daily drivers and can't mess their Jeep up also.
Haha, myself included. I'm currently driving a friend's car while my gears and locker are getting installed.
Unread 09-17-2008, 07:25 PM   #49
RichardD
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The outlook is good for the weekend weather:

Thursday - Sunny
High 79�
Low 55�

Friday - Sunny
High 76�
Low 54�

Saturday - Sunny
High 78�
Low 53�

Sunday - Mostly Sunny
High 77�
Low 53�

Be well,
Richard

Live each day as if it were your last, 'cause you just never know.....
RichardD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2008, 09:09 PM   #50
tdogg55555
1996 XJ Cherokee 

gonna be a tab bit chilly at night!
Unread 09-21-2008, 11:00 PM   #51
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It was definitely cold at night, but wow, what a great event. This was the first seriously wheeling I've done and I had a blast! The Jeep climbed anything I threw at it and I only had to pass up the toughest obstacles out there. Definitely limited by height and lack of skids, but hopefully that'll be solved soon.
Unread 09-22-2008, 07:09 PM   #52
tdogg55555
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yea man, It was awesome, Yea I def need to upgrade in the skid department too. I was impressed in how well my RE lift did. I bet that locker worked awesome for you man, and I know 4.56's woulda been nice for me on a couple of those long climbs. Did you make it up cj 5 hill? How many trails did you cover with your group?
Unread 09-22-2008, 08:13 PM   #53
sccrstar011
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Hey man it was nice to meet you up at Oak Ridge. Had a blast, but would have loved some skids and some rock sliders. That tree on CJ 5 hill wasn't so forgiving. Oh well, at least it's a good conversation starter and I made it up. lol
sccrstar011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #54
tdogg55555
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yea man, it was good to be able to wheel behind another xj, and I dont even put donovan's in the same category as me, his is a beast! I think yours did great though, at least you got up cj 5 hill....Im going to own it next year. I think I was just a little hesitant at times with mine, should have more confidence next year after some more trail rides. So how much damage did you have overall?? Anything with your tc? Only thing I noticed with mine was how bad the alignment was off, during the 3 hour drive home it definitely became aggravating. Underneath I only saw one spot on my tc crossmember where I slid down that big drop the first day. Overall though, it was an awesome event, I emailed Sharon and she sent me the invite for the club, so i guess Im in with yall now.
Unread 09-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #55
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Nice meeting those of you I met!!

I had a blast wheeling my little green CJ5.. unfortunately, our group missed CJ5 Hill but we hit a few other good trails. First day my CJ ran kind of hot. Installed an electric fan Friday night and it ran fine all day Sat. Only real carnage was a ripped valve stem.

Glad everyone had a great time and hope to see you guys again next year!!

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 08:41 PM   #56
sccrstar011
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Nah just a little body damage. T-case isn't leaking...it was a little on the trail...need to look into that still.
sccrstar011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2008, 08:10 AM   #57
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogg55555 View Post
Yea man, It was awesome, Yea I def need to upgrade in the skid department too. I was impressed in how well my RE lift did. I bet that locker worked awesome for you man, and I know 4.56's woulda been nice for me on a couple of those long climbs. Did you make it up cj 5 hill? How many trails did you cover with your group?
I'm not sure how I would have done with my stock gears and A/T's, but as far as I know, the locker and tires helped out immensely. I couldn't believe some of the rocks and stuff I was able to get over. The big lugs on the tires were great for grabbing rock edges and pulling the Jeep over them. The locker seemed to work well, but it made turning through those tight trails a lot tougher. I initially thought I bent a tie rod.

The first day we hit a ton of trails and went through/over some pretty decent rocks. I only bypassed a few of the most hardcore obstacles. Second day was a lot slower because we hit some bigger rock obstacles that some people took forever to try and climb. One guy separated his front driveshaft in a CJ twice on the same hill. CJ5 hill had me a bit scared because an XJ in front of me broke a D30 axle. A few people had to get winched up, then a few people made it. I gave it my best effort and surprisingly made it up on the 2nd try, I couldn't believe it. Then my happiness was cut short when a BB, 31" tire, stock looking XJ made it up with ease on his first try lol. He made it look sooo easy, it was crazy.

I think my local club is going to Rausch Creek in November, so I'm really looking forward to that. I hope to get a RE 4.5" kit on before then. My clearance was horrible and I wanted to do a lot more obstacles that I had to pass up. Even put a nice big dent in my TC crossmember from a rock, so a belly pan might be in order too. I didn't really want to go higher with the lift, but I really liked the slow, intricate rock crawling more than I thought I would. Watching other people, then learning to pick a good line to clear the diffs and not destroy the body is pretty interesting.
Unread 09-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #58
tdogg55555
1996 XJ Cherokee 

at least u made it up cj 5 hill, I think I must have just picked the wrong line, I tried 4 times i think. Our tailgunner has a fairly stock xj from what it looked like, and she walked up it! Anyways, I know next year ill be much more ready.
Unread 09-25-2008, 01:42 PM   #59
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah you must have. One of the head guys from my local club is much more experienced and he was helping people out. He showed me a line to take and the second try I went right up. You had to start out from the left going towards the right, then when you got up in the groove, cut back to the left. I was pretty stoked to make it up, especially after the Cherokee up in front of me, which must have had at least a 6" lift, broke his axle.

Go on Youtube and watch the vids from Camp Jeep 2007, which was at Oak Ridge. They must have had a ton of rain because I saw a lifted Xterra going through the creek right before CJ hill and the water was up to his rockers. Plus they had a big mud pit that everyone was going through. I was really praying for rain when we were down there so it'd be a bit more muddy and challenging. They should have made a trail through that one wide creek alongside the road with all the rocks in it.
Unread 09-25-2008, 07:45 PM   #60
tdogg55555
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yea man I wish they had a mud pit like they had at camp jeep! That looks bad ***. I wish I coulda been there for that event. I wonder where the next camp jeep will be? Do they do it all over the nation? If so, its pretty cool that they chose Oak Ridge in 2007 and that we just wheeled there. Yea everyone in our group kept talking about how low the creeks were this year, I kinda wished the nor'easter woulda came through right before the event instead of now!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.