unmaintained roads in ohio - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Ohio Jeep Forum > unmaintained roads in ohio

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 04-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
8balls12
1988 MJ Comanche 

unmaintained roads in ohio

so im getting tired of haspin, hillz and hollerz, 491 offroad park yada yada. obviously i cant make it out to badlands and harlan every month. i feel like i spent a ton of money on my rig and can't use it as often as i like, anybody with me?? thinking...still thinking, then i remembered an article in a 4x4 mag about an area in ohio thats an unmaintained road. pictures showed it being a really good trail. so i google unmaintained forest road logging road etc and get some ohio revised code stuff about a thing called "ohio trail geographical information system"- http://das.ohio.gov/hrd/ocpm/project...tpdf/23103.pdf basically im looking for a way to use this or accsess this so i can find unmaintained roads in the ohio, norhtern kentucky and eastern indiana area. like 2 hr drive from cincinnati. anybody help or know anything?? rules regulations? whats up looking for some public local spots or anything? also theres a trail head off of ohio 561 next to the little miami river i can see the trails from the road anybody know if its illegal or not? what do ya got for me?

8balls12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2009, 10:26 PM   #2
Brads_nky_yj

As long as its classified as a "road" your safe. Even if its not maintained or whatever. There are a bunch of old roads in southern KY that are fine to drive on and wheel on, they are still listed as roads in old maps and such but havent been maintained by the state in probably 40 years.

I'll look into this as well, Im right across the river near Florence.
Unread 04-30-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
brownrc
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Haven't been there for a while but we would go down a old rail road that the tracks were taken out. It was pretty cool, even a old tunnel to drive through. There was some side trails that came off of it and went up into the hills. It was down near Cadiz, Ohio.

http://imageevent.com/brownrc/familyjeeping
http://www.dav.org/
brownrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
8balls12
1988 MJ Comanche 

thats cool man cadiz huh? ive seen som epictures in magazines and stuff of this group that wheels on a public road. i forget the mag. thinking of calling that guy in the link there and asking for maps of unmaintained roads and stuff. i've seeen and herd of a lot of local spots in the tri-state area but i've never been. and i dont know how big they are. there was one spot i did go to down by anderson ferry over on the west side near the college of mount saint joe. part of the trail actually went into the ohio river! but it was only a half mile long and dead end. im gunna keep looking if i find any public land that would be allowed acssess for wheeling i'll pm you guys kinda want to keep it a secret. as long as they tread lightly they can go. cant have fools ruining it for all of us. keep me posted.
Unread 05-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
jeephildo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Very interesting. I would love to help.
jeephildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2009, 11:45 PM   #6
8balls12
1988 MJ Comanche 

well I went and got a ton of usgs topo maps of ohio and kentucky......looks like the best bet to find trails and unmaintained roads is along the river in southeastern ohio. adams county and east had a bunch. well it was on the map. dont know if it was good wheeling or not. my old man has a lot of experience with finding river acssess and reading topo maps. i asked him about it and he said sure in the 1960's youd find a bunch but here and now most are closed or on state land and dedicated trails for hikers and bikers. kentucky on the other hand had a bunch. im getting together with my old man tommorow for dinner after i weld my jeep back together. thinking sunday if i have done what i'm supposed to this weekend i'm gunna load up and go looking. i'll get back with y'all if i find anything good. oh and the phone number off the website in the first link isn't right some women named ethel awnsered haha....i'll let ya know if i find anything worth while!
Unread 09-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
BloodThirsty
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like the OP hasn't posted in a while. Hope you are still around. Any luck with this? I'm in Madison, IN and I love going on country rides and hitting those back roads. We have a few around here but nothing great. Hoping you found something.
BloodThirsty is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 12:03 AM   #8
8balls12
1988 MJ Comanche 

yea i found a ton of roads around cincy and northern kentucky.....the catch is there all very short and if you drive on pavement alot you could make a day of it but it's really not worth it. I did find longer roads in sothern kentucky but thats a hike. everything else has been shut down, or paved.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.