Tar Hollow anyone? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Ohio Jeep Forum > Tar Hollow anyone?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
johnxjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tar Hollow anyone?

We had a group that went to Tar Hollow in the Hocking Hills area last year.
Is anyone up for a wheeling trip and know the area very well?
I have an idea but do not want to get lost.
John.

johnxjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
johnxjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

It is totally legal.
Unread 06-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
ontheroadtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've been there too with ohio4x4 club. I can join if we can get few more people.
ontheroadtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
johnxjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Curtisg sent me this message. I think he has a few people going.

Great! Well, as luck would have it, we're planning to do a run next Saturday, June 29th. We're going to meet at the entrance to Clear Creek Metro Park on Route 33 south of Lancastwer around 10:00. We'll drive through the park and then take backroads that lead towards Laurelville. We'll hit three Geocaches along the way to the Tar Hollow area. We'll do a lunch on the trail at some point.

The afternoon will be running around on the unmaintained/unimproved roads east of Tar Hollow. People can peel off and head home as needed. It won't be the type of run that once you start down the trail that you have to stay to course to the very end. If you're available, let me know and I can get more specific.

If you're not familiar with Geocaching, here is a primer...

Geocaching 101
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:47 AM   #5
nismo_2005
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I try and do tar hollow about once a month. Last weekend I did stone quarry rd. Well at least the part of it that is still open.
Anyone that wants to run tar hollow om me and I will let you know the next time I go down
nismo_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
nismo_2005
1995 YJ Wrangler 

as far as tar hollow go's check out my channel on youtube for some videos from out there. and dont forget to subscribe cause i will be adding more every time i go out. there is also a couple short clips from stone quarry rd as well
https://www.youtube.com/user/edwardcook23
Unread 06-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
ontheroadtj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

So are you guys going? How many people do you have so far? I may join u guys just don't know yet...
ontheroadtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
nismo_2005
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Let me get with the guy organizing this ride and I will post back
Unread 06-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
CurtisG
2008 JK Wrangler 

The geocaching and wheeling trip planned for tomorrow will be rescheduled for another date when the weather is more agreeable. We're still planning to run around and explore the area around Tar Hollow. At the moment, it looks like we have three rigs. We're meeting South of Laurelville around 11:00 and need to head back North to Columbus by 16:00. We have someone in our group that needs to be back up here by 18:00. Send me a PM if you are interested.
CurtisG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
CurtisG
2008 JK Wrangler 

JKJeepBoy, your Inbox is full. I can't PM you.
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
CurtisG
2008 JK Wrangler 

Since the PM functionality is limited without an paid account, shoot me an email at

08jkurubicon at gmail dot com
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
JKJEEPBOY
1979 CJ7 

Just reply here...
JKJEEPBOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
CurtisG
2008 JK Wrangler 

My message above pretty much sums it up. Three rigs meeting south of Laurelville at 11:00 and headed home at 16:00. If you want to join us, shoot me an e-mail and your phone number at 08jkurubicon at gmail dot com.
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #14
Col06tj

There is a group meeting at the garages @ 9am July 6 to run the tarhollow trails anyone wanting to go we can meet up on 23 somewhere or just meet at the state garages. Pm me or just reply here.
Col06tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #15
CurtisG
2008 JK Wrangler 

Turned out to be a good day to run around near Tar Hollow. The short bursts of rain added to the fun. Don't be fooled by the water, these are unmaintained township roads. They are not creek beds. People live back in some of these areas. I couldn't imagine driving these roads on a regular basis. My favorite sighting of the day was the street sweeping sign. Just before and just after this sign there were stretches of road under several inches of running water.

Thank to JKJeepBoy and his crew for joining us on the ride. We had a great time. Got to do it again sometime very soon.

Here is the first of several mud holes.

This is one of the unmaintained roads during a heavy rain. Due to logging on both sides of the road, there is a lot of runoff.

Here is the crew performing trail fixes after a run through a long mudhole.

This is the road just a few hundred yards "downstream" from the street sweeping sign.

Someone has a twisted sense of humor. I like it!

This is a little way up the hollow from the street sweeping sign.

More off camber road and water.

Ever feel like you're going to slide off the trail? Thankfully, it is just a small creek rather than a deep ravine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.