Southington Offroad - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Ohio Jeep Forum > Southington Offroad

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 12-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #31
MoJo380
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I wasn't impressed with the whole thing over all. The first couple people I talked to when registering were very nice. A couple "staff" members were nice. The "guides" weren't very good. Nobody talked to the neverbeen people to let them know what to expect. I wasn't going out on my own without knowing the area so I figured the trail guides would make it easier. Was lead into a mud hole that I wouldn't have done except that was the only way. Now I need a new transmission from being so deep in water.

I won't spend anymore time out there unless they have a map or trails marked with difficulty levels. Names are cool" but a warning would be nice and bypasses would be better.Not everyone wants to be a hillbilly and thrash thru mud and water all day. Good luck with the "park"

MoJo380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #32
Wannagojeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ever hear of reverse...?
Unread 12-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #33
buckeyedolfan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannagojeep
Ever hear of reverse...?
Thats what i was thinking. I have been there twice and found no problems going around or turning around to avoid "MUD" holes.
So why the new transmission?

Sent from my HTC using JeepForum
buckeyedolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #34
sfdl32
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Mojo was probably pretty new to the sport and He was probably "led" into the mud by a guide. I have had several people that were completely new with stock jeeps tell me they went to what was JS expecting to be "taught" how to off road. Well these individuals didn't have a clue as to how to handle a vehicle off road and one had never even put his jeep into 4wheel drive, needless to say they all came away with some sort of problem with their vehicle or at the very least they were turned off to this great sport because of lack of instruction or help. I know that they share some of the blame for not educating themselves a little but with a name like JS and the way it was promoted in the past it could have been a better outcome for all involved. As for the "Nobody talked to the neverbeen people to let them know what to expect" that sounds like some of the old skool mentality, if your a guide then lead and help everyone out and promote this sport in a positive image. Just my 2 cents, I hope that the "new" park continues to grow and wish them well. Mojo if you want to come wheeling with a good group check out my club www.erieshoresjeeps.com or another good group www.neo4x4.com .
2005 Unlimited Rubicon, 4.5" RE superflex, 33" MTR Kevlar, Warn M8000, Custom wheels, Custom bumpers.Currie currect lync HD tie rod setup, Undercover Fab belly up skid, Teraflex engine skid, Rock sliders. Superior shafts. Optima red top, K&N cold air intake.
sfdl32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 10:19 PM   #35
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

I can't say most offroad parks have a guide to lead you around. The best time's i've had are going someplace with a few Jeeps and friends and just working our way around. If you don't know how deep it is, grab the nearest stick. If you aren't familiar with the trail or concerned based on the other vehicles you've seen on it, walk it yourself. You can also arrange your convoy to ensure the less equipped Jeeps are in the middle of the more equipped ones to help them out if needed. The trails also used to be marked with names and difficulty ratings. Though I will say a map is helpful, which they are working on, however trail conditions are almost always changing.

All the guide and teaching stuff is the old Jeepskool mentality. AFAIK, they are trying to do away with that for the most part.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #36
cico7
2007 XK Commander 

Xk

They used to do the "skooling" which talked about the rules and they had a
guided ride afterwards. The guides we always available to help out. I heard
many of the guides were the same. If this was the first event for the new
operators, may take a couple trys to get it ironed out. I would encourage you
post your comments here or on the FB page so they can learn from thier
customers. I wasnt there, havent been there for a while, so I can't speak
for them. I am just offering my unsolicited opinion.

They never would publish a map in the old days, guess they didnt want you
to know where you were, but I pulled down some topo maps and made my own.

The trails used to be rated for difficulty.

8llllll8
cico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 11:54 AM   #37
RSC17
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Southington Offroad, although many new things about it are awesome, will always be hindered by the old JS staff. By some of the comments in here I can tell nothing along those lines have changed. The "staff" stay in their little buddy circle and really don't do anything but wheel with each other and sit on the benches at the pavilion. There are some good people there so don't let the bad ones spook you away. I'm still looking forward to check it out.
RSC17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #38
jeepnut99

Not sure where some of you get your information but "Trail Leader Guided Rides" have NEVER been required. Not even for newbies. You can go anywhere you want with whoever you want. The TL's were there to help when needed and offered trail rides if you wanted to go. There are a lot of non-mud pits, though Backwoods does get a little muddy. What the hell, you're in a Jeep, get over it. There are rocks to climb, hills to climb, obstacles and it seems that they are in the process of making more. So you didn't like Kelly. He's gone. The old TL (Kelly's Cronies) are still there providing outstanding customer service. Maybe they don't offer guidance to everyone who comes, because you hard core people get offended. If you are new, ask. They are there to help. I've been going regularly for over 2 years and I love the place. Sure it's not the most extreme 4x4 place in the world but I have never heard Kelly or anyone say it was. If you've never been there or won't come back since the change, shut up till you try it (or try it again) And I've never seen anyone but the TL's cutting firewood for the pavilion so maybe that's why they were hanging around there so you could warm your tootsies when it gets cold.
jeepnut99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #39
buckeyedolfan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I agree and well said

Sent from my HTC using JeepForum
buckeyedolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #40
jeepnut99

I take it your a Miami Dolphin fan? Me too, since 1969. It's been a very dark and lonely Fan Club lately....
Unread 12-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #41
Wannagojeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnut99 View Post
Not sure where some of you get your information but "Trail Leader Guided Rides" have NEVER been required. Not even for newbies. You can go anywhere you want with whoever you want. The TL's were there to help when needed and offered trail rides if you wanted to go. There are a lot of non-mud pits, though Backwoods does get a little muddy. What the hell, you're in a Jeep, get over it. There are rocks to climb, hills to climb, obstacles and it seems that they are in the process of making more. So you didn't like Kelly. He's gone. The old TL (Kelly's Cronies) are still there providing outstanding customer service. Maybe they don't offer guidance to everyone who comes, because you hard core people get offended. If you are new, ask. They are there to help. I've been going regularly for over 2 years and I love the place. Sure it's not the most extreme 4x4 place in the world but I have never heard Kelly or anyone say it was. If you've never been there or won't come back since the change, shut up till you try it (or try it again) And I've never seen anyone but the TL's cutting firewood for the pavilion so maybe that's why they were hanging around there so you could warm your tootsies when it gets cold.
I believe all of kellys "cronies" are fine except for one. hold on whats her name... Oh yeah judy! She needs to go it seems everyone ive talked to has had nothing but bad experiences with her, myself included. Just my opinion
Unread 12-11-2011, 06:30 AM   #42
jeepnut99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannagojeep View Post
I believe all of kellys "cronies" are fine except for one. hold on whats her name... Oh yeah judy! She needs to go it seems everyone ive talked to has had nothing but bad experiences with her, myself included. Just my opinion
Seriously? I've been a ride or two with her and enjoyed it thoroughly and observed her wheeling capabilities many more times. She's an outstanding wheeler and out wheels many self proclaimed "hard core" wheelers with her MM jeep. True, she says what she feels and won't back down when someone bad mouths someone, but what's wrong with that? I'd rather someone be straight forward with me even if it ruffles my male ego, then suck up to my face and stab me in the back on some forum. That seems to be the problem some people have with her. Outclassed by a , OMG, a girl !!!!!
Unread 12-11-2011, 06:35 AM   #43
sgtdave
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannagojeep View Post
Well what bad experience, Its always easy to judge others until you walk in their shoes. The staff is unpaid, it has been said all we do is hang out in the pavilion or lead trail rides into bottomless mud holes. I stand behind every Staff member at Southington Offroad all you need to do is talk to us Face To Face we don't bite. You had a bad Experience did you tell anybody, did you try to talk it out?
As staff we are there for you, I have taken guests vehicles home on my trailer when they broke and never taken any offered money for my help. We have loaned tools , clothing, parts, blankets,tents and even money to guests.We have helped repair guest vehicles and even welded parts that needed it. We have broken down tires and replaced valve stems. I even removed a battery to my motor home to let a guest continue to wheel his rig when he tore out the negative terminal on his battery. And I have seen all the Staff do similar things. Don't bad mouth us if you have never met us.

Dave
sgtdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2011, 07:25 AM   #44
Wannagojeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Why do you always think the bad mouthing involves you Dave? are you feeling guilty of something? ive obviously met all of you if i stated all have had bad experiences "MYSELF INCLUDED" jeepskool and southington is one big drama pit so far. Everyone points the blame at others. I have a question for the "staff" why does an offroad park need you? What do you do that so many have to be involved? As stated above staff cuts firewood... didnt know it required 20 people to swing an axe. Dave i see why your position is necessary, the others not so much. Have a nice day everyone and see you on the trail
Wannagojeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2011, 07:28 AM   #45
jeepnut99

Well said Sarge. I've seen on several occasions a staff dragging a broken rig out of the woods and helped fix it or find a way to get it to the owner's home. I watched you and Brett(?) pull off a very tricky double rescue last weekend from a rock crawl. Off roaders get into problems due to lack of experience, bad luck or cockiness. I've been pulled out of problems many times by staff (other wheelers too) and have returned the favor a few times. I'm glad they are there, even if they are hanging out at the pavilion. Just a CB shout away if they are needed.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.