Cleveland Ohio Mechanics - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Ohio Jeep Forum > Cleveland Ohio Mechanics

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 10-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
stormtj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Cleveland Ohio Mechanics

Any mechanics or people with jeep ignition/electrical experience interested in offering a helping hand. My 98 TJ is getting no spark and I am having major problems tracking down the problem. Willing to pay to help also just need my jeep back on the road asap...

stormtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtj View Post
Any mechanics or people with jeep ignition/electrical experience interested in offering a helping hand. My 98 TJ is getting no spark and I am having major problems tracking down the problem. Willing to pay to help also just need my jeep back on the road asap...
I had a problem with these symptoms myself. When you turn on the key, does the check engine light illuminate for a moment? It should - this is part of the computer's self-test when it's switched on. If the CEL doesn't illuminate, the computer isn't coming on. Usual cause for that is a short circuit in an engine sensor, and the most likely culprits are the crankshaft position sensor and the camshaft position sensor.

Unplug them at their connections, one at a time, then both and check for the CEL to come on when you turn on the ignition. (Don't try to start - without the CKP and CMP, the engine will turn over but never fire) When the CEL comes on, whatever is disconnected is shorted.

I'm not sure where exactly the connections are on the 4.0. On the 2.5, the CKP connector is in the middle of the firewall, near the exhaust manifold. The CMP sensor itself is on the side of the bellhousing, near the top, up by the flywheel - trace the lead from it back to the proper connector. The CMP connector is on the wire leading to the underside of the distributor, with the sensor itself inside and integral to the distributor.

Of course, if you're having a different problem, none of this will help you... But this is a common enough problem that you should rule it out first, save yourself a few bucks.

I had BOTH the CKP and the CMP fail simultaneously. Make sure you check with both disconnected.

Good luck!

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
stormtj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

so far i have replaced the ckp and cmp coil, all relays, all fuses, and rotor, distributor is spinning when cranking, cap is in good condition. my instrument cluster randomly stopped working yesterday same symptoms as before it stopped working only now i really dont know if my cel is on. before i hooked a reader up and it said unable to communicate with computer.
Unread 10-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
so far i have replaced the ckp and cmp coil, all relays, all fuses, and rotor, distributor is spinning when cranking, cap is in good condition. my instrument cluster randomly stopped working yesterday same symptoms as before it stopped working only now i really dont know if my cel is on. before i hooked a reader up and it said unable to communicate with computer.
"New part" doesn't mean "good part". If the reader can't communicate with the computer, the computer is NOT coming on. It's possible (but unlikely) that the computer itself is bad, but it's more likely that a shorted sensor or melted and shorted wire is causing the problems.

Do what I suggested in my last post, even though you replaced the parts. If you've got a code reader, plug it in each time too. If it says it can't communicate with the computer, the computer is offline.

Disconnect each and every sensor on the motor if you have to. CKP, CMP, TPS, IAC, Oxygen, Temperature, Oil pressure... The computer contains a 5-volt regulated power supply inside the computer that powers a number of sensors. When that 5-volt bus is shorted out, the computer doesn't turn on.

When it happened to me, I put together this spreadsheet with the computer pinout. It may be useful to help you diagnose a problem. I developed it from the schematics in the YJ/TJ Haynes manual.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...3aUVQcWc&hl=en

PM me with your location. Cleveland-proper is a bit of a haul for me, but if you're in one of the more southern suburbs, I might be able to stop by sometime this weekend.

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Unread 10-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
stormtj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

this is using the pinouts in the connectors attaching to the computer correct? using that spread sheet?
Unread 10-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #6
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
this is using the pinouts in the connectors attaching to the computer correct? using that spread sheet?
Yeah, the spreadsheet shows the pinout for the three large connectors on the computer itself. I used it to supplement a Haynes manual, which never includes a raw pinout like that. If it's useful to you, great; if it's not, ignore it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.