Any Columbus Ohio area Jeep Lift shops? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Ohio Jeep Forum > Any Columbus Ohio area Jeep Lift shops?

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
awalp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Any Columbus Ohio area Jeep Lift shops?

I just bought a 2004 Jeep Rubicon, and want to lift it, and do it right.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any good Jeep shops around town that I could turn to if I need any assistance or guidance that knows their stuff...?

I know of a 4x4 parts store, way out on east main, that I've bought a softtop from before, but unsure of their in-depth knowledge of Jeeps.

I also have used a 'Jeep' shop near plain city, a long time ago, for some obscure Jeep need, don't remember who they are but heard they were good, a couple years ago...

-----

I'm aware for Import / Tuner
IPS Motorsports (on southside, but moving to polaris): My import tuner & Corvette C6 shop!!!
-- They've gone from Turbo 4 bangers to real V8 power... (for my 3G Eclipse & Vette)
Slowmotion Motorsports (off route 36 exit on 71 north): Good import tuner & Honda shop, they tuned my 3G Eclipse
Passen Motorsports: Out of Business??

None of these specialize in Jeeps as far as I know.

awalp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
Aalbury
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Those are the only two I know of, Trails west on the east side.. i've heard good and bad about them. I can't remember the name of the one out west, but don't know much about them. I think your best bet is to make friends with a local who has some work space, and install it yourself. But columbus really isn't the mecca of 4x4
KD8NKV
Aalbury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
adamkn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I used to live in Columbus, but can't think of any good 4x4 shops.

In my opinion, "doing it right" just means developing a good plan for what you want to accomplish, and then picking the right parts/kits. And that just takes some research. You should be able to find everything you need to know right here on the forum.

One nice thing about Jeeps is that they are relatively simple to work on. Even if you have to buy a lot of additional tools, it's still far cheaper than hiring someone else to do the work for you.

If you start installing some parts and get stuck along the way, I know there are plenty of people here on the forum that would be happy to help out with guidance. That's speaking from experience, after doing a lot of work on my own Jeep.

I know you were just asking about local 4x4 shops, rather than advice on doing things yourself.....but hopefully this still helps you out a little.
adamkn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
awalp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I already have the parts and I'm looking for a shop to do....
--- 1" BL + 1" MML & Tummy Tuck w/ Novak T-Case cable conversion install.
--- 2" OME Lift Kit + Tom Woods Driveshaft (anything else necessary) install.

I don't have the time nor patience to do it myself, and would like to be able to drop it off, and have all of that done and pick it back up the same day, or next day. (Not have it torn apart for a week doing it myself).

So I'm needing a shop with an in depth knowledge of Jeep modification, so they can install all those items, and also deal with the differential angle / pinion, and adjust that with whatever necessary.

----

My Jeep is probably going to end up being a 24/7 daily work vehicle, and if I need it for work everyday (pulling a trailer), I absolutely need a shop that can do the install quickly without any significant downtime.
Unread 04-07-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
RubyMax3388
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have not had any experience directly with trails west but I have been in the store a few time and never liked the way I was treated there and some buddies had some not so good story's about them as well. But in saying that your best bet is going to be finding a small repair shop that is trusted and maybe they can help you out. This maybe your best bet if you cant live without your jeep for long maybe even find a dealership that could do it if your pockets are deep enought.
RubyMax3388 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
adamkn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

If you intend to use the tom woods driveshaft, you need a slip yoke eliminator kit for your transfer case. About $200 for the kit, and about $150-$250 for installation labor (depending on who does the work). A transmission shop should be able to help with this. If you already have the TW driveshaft (did you buy it used?), I'd be a little concerned that it's the proper length. They are all custom made. Typically you order it after you've installed the suspension lift, as certain dimensions must be provided to TW before they build the shaft.

I would think that most any mechanic could handle the OME suspension kit.....swapping the springs and shocks isn't very complicated. But call a few places and talk to them about what you're looking to have done.

And just a word of warning - I dont think that any one person, or any shop, can do all of this work in one day. In theory, most of it is pretty simple. But there are always un-anticipated things that come up....broken parts, missing parts, etc. Maybe a day and a half if everything goes smoothly....or over a week if extra parts have to be replaced/ordered.

If you dont have any luck finding a good shop in Columbus, I'd considering bringing the Jeep down to Cinci. There are several good shops in southwest ohio, I can suggest a few if needed.
Unread 04-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
RubyMax3388
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awalp View Post
I just bought a 2004 Jeep Rubicon, and want to lift it, and do it right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkn View Post
If you intend to use the tom woods driveshaft, you need a slip yoke eliminator kit for your transfer case. About $200 for the kit, and about $150-$250 for installation labor (depending on who does the work). A transmission shop should be able to help with this. If you already have the TW driveshaft (did you buy it used?), I'd be a little concerned that it's the proper length. They are all custom made. Typically you order it after you've installed the suspension lift, as certain dimensions must be provided to TW before they build the shaft.

I would think that most any mechanic could handle the OME suspension kit.....swapping the springs and shocks isn't very complicated. But call a few places and talk to them about what you're looking to have done.

And just a word of warning - I dont think that any one person, or any shop, can do all of this work in one day. In theory, most of it is pretty simple. But there are always un-anticipated things that come up....broken parts, missing parts, etc. Maybe a day and a half if everything goes smoothly....or over a week if extra parts have to be replaced/ordered.

If you dont have any luck finding a good shop in Columbus, I'd considering bringing the Jeep down to Cinci. There are several good shops in southwest ohio, I can suggest a few if needed.
Rubicons dont need sye kits
RubyMax3388 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
adamkn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyMax3388 View Post
good catch
Unread 04-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
awalp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkn View Post
good catch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyMax3388 View Post

The 'Tom Woods' driveshaft I planned on buying, is specifically for a Jeep Wrangler 03-06 Rubicon, w/ 2"-6" of lift.

So it is already a fixed-flange / Rubicon style driveshaft, and is designed in length for 2"-6" of lift...

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52301_910_07.htm

-------------------------------------

I still need to find a good local shop to install my 2" OME lift, 1" BL, 1" MML, Tummy Tuck (UCF Skid Plate, Lowpro Mount), and misc components.
Unread 04-11-2011, 06:02 AM   #10
rockrunner02
2005 WK 

Yea the only two shops that I know of in the area are Trails West and Trail Quest.
rockrunner02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #11
awalp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone know any 'local mechanics', that are creditable and experienced with a Jeep that I could hire to do work?

1) Tummy Tuck (1" MML, 1" BL, UCF Skid, Novak T-Case linkage cable conversion kit)
and
2) 2" OME Suspension Lift + Tom Woods Driveshaft + Front & Rear Adjustable Cam Bolts
Unread 04-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
wpviper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

trail quest is vary good that is who I would have plus they can order from more people then trails west but I do get parts and work done with both trails west is doin my dana 60 install, regear and air locker set up it just depends on what you want if its a lift I would go to trail quest.
wpviper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #13
robert1973
1977 CJ7 

Theres a 4x4 place down in grove city called mccoy 4x4 i believe. It hasn't been there too long. Havent heard anything about them yet. I do not do business with trails west, From my personal experience customer service is something i look for in a shop, Two words they are not familiar with there.
Unread 04-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #14
wpviper
2003 TJ Wrangler 

mccoys has been around for many years did two of my friends monster size trucks worked awesome on the street not good off road trucks but Im sure they could put on any kind of stock lift kit
wpviper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #15
syanttj

Trail Quest is a great shop (614-873-8337). They can do it all for someone with minimal wrench ability or can provide good advice for someone who wants to do it for themselves. They get parts for my projects at prices better than I can find anywhere else.

It's a family owned business that's in it for the long haul. Good people you can depend on.
syanttj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.