Where to camp/offroad within 6 or so hours(400mi) of Detroit? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Michigan Jeep Forum > Where to camp/offroad within 6 or so hours(400mi) of Detroit?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 02-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
05WK98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Where to camp/offroad within 6 or so hours(400mi) of Detroit?

Just like the title says.

I am looking for a 3 day camping/expedition style trip using my Jeep TJ. My TJ has a 2" lift and 31's with open diffs so I cant do anything too hardcore.

If anyone knows of some cool places in the backwoods of the great lakes states then let me know!

05WK98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
captainmorgan44
2000 XJ Cherokee 

st helen, michigan, its exit 222 of 75 and i love that place, my buddys dad lives up there i think there are some campgrounds, and there are miles and miles of trails
captainmorgan44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
snwchris

Check out, Mounds, Bundy Hill or Rocks & Valley, located in Michigan
snwchris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
05WK98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ive been to the mounds too many times to count but im looking for something like orv trails and camping. I have heard good things about st. helen
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
phittie1100
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Atlanta is a good choice - good lakes and streams to fish, nice campground (Clear Lake SP), lots of back roads/two tracks/ORV routes, more scenic than 4x4 challenge, and a chance to see an elk or two. Lots of state land for rustic camping too if that's your preference.

If you want to go farther, consider Ontario. About 45 minutes north of the Soo is a campground called Blueberry Hills (right on Hwy 11) that is right on the edge of the Batchawana Mountains near the Goulais and Montreal Rivers. Just don't go alone, it's very rustic, very beautiful, rugged scenery, LOTS of trails to explore, and well beyond cell phone range. If you are not a licensed amateur radio operator it might be good to consider, since a 2m radio using a repeater would be able to reach civilization in an emergency.
Unread 02-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phittie1100 View Post
Atlanta is a good choice - good lakes and streams to fish, nice campground (Clear Lake SP), lots of back roads/two tracks/ORV routes, more scenic than 4x4 challenge, and a chance to see an elk or two. Lots of state land for rustic camping too if that's your preference.
X2 on this. Clear Lake is a very nice campground, but there are others in the area too. further North, just into the next county (Presque Isle), there's another campground that sits at the head of the trails in that area. (Might be Tomahawk Lake campground?)

http://www.midnr.com/publications/pdfs/forestslandwater/ORV/Maps-Trail/atlanta_trail.pdf

Again, not terribly challenging, but nice scenery. Make sure you stick to the ORV ROUTES (not ORV TRAILS) and watch out for the quads and dirtbikers as they share the same trails, and aren't usually expecting full width trucks.

West of M33, there's a bunch of state land that you can camp on. Last September, I seen bear hunters out there camping and hunting. Lots of horseback riders in the area too. I did get to see some elk last September. Watch out for private land over there though, there's some pockets that are privately owned.

Edit: Just noticed, my avatar pic was taken out in a clearing on those trails in Atlanta. <----- I might have more.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If your willing to head to the central U.P. check out the Hiawatha National Forest. We did a fall color ride up there and it was just what your looking for. We went over 200 miles and never hit the same trail twice. Forest service roads that never end and lakes scattered all over. You could spend days up there. I contacted the Forest Service and they sent me very detailed maps and they were even free. These can also be found on the internet.

You can find more info here:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...st%20-%20Home/

Quote:
Does your gas tank overflow at the pump?
SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE!

2005 Rubicon LJ Unlimited - 4 1/2" BDS Suspension - 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's - 12,000# Winch - Ground Pounder Fab Rear Bumper - FabRieckAtions Custom Front Bumper - Overkill Engineering Tube Fenders - GR8 Half Top - Rock Hard Cage - Banks Monster Exhaust - 5.13 Gears - High Performance Flux Capacitor

1976 CJ-7 - 33" Super Swampers - BDS 4" Suspension - 6 Point Roll Cage
Mud Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
phittie1100
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
X2 on this. Clear Lake is a very nice campground, but there are others in the area too. further North, just into the next county (Presque Isle), there's another campground that sits at the head of the trails in that area. (Might be Tomahawk Lake campground?)

http://www.midnr.com/publications/pdfs/forestslandwater/ORV/Maps-Trail/atlanta_trail.pdf

Again, not terribly challenging, but nice scenery. Make sure you stick to the ORV ROUTES (not ORV TRAILS) and watch out for the quads and dirtbikers as they share the same trails, and aren't usually expecting full width trucks.

West of M33, there's a bunch of state land that you can camp on. Last September, I seen bear hunters out there camping and hunting. Lots of horseback riders in the area too. I did get to see some elk last September. Watch out for private land over there though, there's some pockets that are privately owned.

Edit: Just noticed, my avatar pic was taken out in a clearing on those trails in Atlanta. <----- I might have more.
We spend a lot of time up there - our club (through GLFWDA) has the grant to maintain the 73 miles of ORV Routes in the area, from the DNR Field Office just outside of town all the way up to Tomahawk Lake (which has a couple of great campgrounds if a primitive State Forest Campground is your thing). We make 2-4 trips up there every year
Unread 02-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phittie1100 View Post
We spend a lot of time up there - our club (through GLFWDA) has the grant to maintain the 73 miles of ORV Routes in the area, from the DNR Field Office just outside of town all the way up to Tomahawk Lake (which has a couple of great campgrounds if a primitive State Forest Campground is your thing). We make 2-4 trips up there every year
We usually start at the DNR field office; sometimes by that gas station on 32 few miles north of Clear Lake campground. Let me know when you all go up there. I usually ride alone, but we go a few times per year.
Unread 02-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
phittie1100
2005 LJ Wrangler 

We will be up there the weekend of 5-19-12 for our next trail maintenance date, staying at Clear Lake
Unread 02-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
05WK98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason

more pics would be much appreciated!
Unread 02-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
Nickit1981
2007 JK Wrangler 

Well.. if you wanna do some offroading.. you can hit the Badlands offroad park in Attica, Indiana. there is enough there to keep you busy for a few days.. Its about 360 miles from Detroit. Theres a camp ground called Summers campground about 8 miles from it. Has a pool.. a small store for essentials.. showers.. thought id mention it.. not sure if youre looking for a wheeling trip.. or just a roughing it experience.
Nickit1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
05WK98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the suggestion nick but im looking for a roughing it type trip
Unread 02-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #14
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05WK98TJ View Post
more pics would be much appreciated!
I uploaded a few here: http://s684.photobucket.com/albums/v...0%20Sept%2011/ I tried to pick ones that showed the area. Some are on the ORV trails, others are on the state land. We camp on private land. We usually make day trips; bring lunch and explore. Back to the campsite for dinner.
Unread 02-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
ScottyJ98
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Every year the family and I spend a week at Clear Lake camping and we always bring the jeep along just to ride the trails and forest roads up there. Lots of nice scenery nothing too challenging. Has anyone been on the Blake Lake Route near Cheboygan or the Indian River Route near Indian River? I'm heading up north n a couple weeknds with a friend and his Jeep and we are planning to check out these two trails.
ScottyJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.