Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 Old 08-29-2012, 01:08 AM
dsjr2006
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp
Where is it at?
Cedar Creek Trail one entrance is right at Stonegate golf course off M120 just before Twin Lake.

'06 Limited Hemi QDII - Icon Coilovers - OME Lift w/Bilsteins - 32" 265/65R18 Goodyear Duratracs on JK Sahara 18s - Smittybilt XRC10 Comp X20 Winch

05-08 WK Service Manual PDF: http://bit.ly/VxI9z0
post #18 of 26 Old 08-29-2012, 01:21 PM
sdault
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
Cedar Creek Trail one entrance is right at Stonegate golf course off M120 just before Twin Lake.
I thought this looked familiar! Was the mud hole in a valley of Sweeter Rd trail. up from the Stongate entrance? If so be very careful of the DNR, that area was posted "No Motor Vehicles" this summer and the signs were torn down. The Cedar Creek area is now mapped (MVUM map at National Forest site), if caught of closed trails you can be fined. Unfortunately it is up to us to know the open trails, just because it's there does not make it legal.

FYI - not trying to be a hard a**
post #19 of 26 Old 08-29-2012, 01:34 PM
dsjr2006
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdault View Post
I thought this looked familiar! Was the mud hole in a valley of Sweeter Rd trail. up from the Stongate entrance? If so be very careful of the DNR, that area was posted "No Motor Vehicles" this summer and the signs were torn down. The Cedar Creek area is now mapped (MVUM map at National Forest site), if caught of closed trails you can be fined. Unfortunately it is up to us to know the open trails, just because it's there does not make it legal.

FYI - not trying to be a hard a**
Yea, the mud pit is posted, but the trail around the outside of it is open to ORV. You have to basically go around the edge of the pit on the side trail to get to another trail anyways, my explanation might be a little confusing...

Anyways I didn't dare try to take on the posted area with the tires I had on anyways. Those pictures are of the posted section which I walked on foot. Dueller H/Ts suck everywhere but worse off-road.

'06 Limited Hemi QDII - Icon Coilovers - OME Lift w/Bilsteins - 32" 265/65R18 Goodyear Duratracs on JK Sahara 18s - Smittybilt XRC10 Comp X20 Winch

post #20 of 26 Old 08-29-2012, 02:51 PM
sdault
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Yea, the mud pit is posted, but the trail around the outside of it is open to ORV. You have to basically go around the edge of the pit on the side trail to get to another trail anyways, my explanation might be a little confusing...

Anyways I didn't dare try to take on the posted area with the tires I had on anyways. Those pictures are of the posted section which I walked on foot. Dueller H/Ts suck everywhere but worse off-road.
Not confusing at all, been wheeling in that area for 30+ years. Hate to disappoint you but those trails are closed to ORV. If you check a copy of the MVUM for the Manistee NF you will find Sweeter Road is open (county rd.), Whitmire Rd. about 1.5 miles from Stonegate running north off Sweeter. Then the snowmobile trail from Whitmire to Linderman (not 100% sure about this trail). Linderman turns in to NF-5912 going south and dead ends. NF-9845 is a dead end off NF-5912 and there is a loop (NF-9842) of Whitmire. These are the only trails open to 4x4's. There is also a motorcycle trail system in the area closed to 4x4's. Sweeter Rd. and Linderman are also closed to unlicensed ORV's as may be Whitmire as they are county roads. Any two-track running of these trails are closed even if not posted according to Michigan Law. So just be careful when riding there, also the DNR does read some of the Forums.
post #21 of 26 Old 08-30-2012, 12:50 PM
dsjr2006
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdault

Not confusing at all, been wheeling in that area for 30+ years. Hate to disappoint you but those trails are closed to ORV. If you check a copy of the MVUM for the Manistee NF you will find Sweeter Road is open (county rd.), Whitmire Rd. about 1.5 miles from Stonegate running north off Sweeter. Then the snowmobile trail from Whitmire to Linderman (not 100% sure about this trail). Linderman turns in to NF-5912 going south and dead ends. NF-9845 is a dead end off NF-5912 and there is a loop (NF-9842) of Whitmire. These are the only trails open to 4x4's. There is also a motorcycle trail system in the area closed to 4x4's. Sweeter Rd. and Linderman are also closed to unlicensed ORV's as may be Whitmire as they are county roads. Any two-track running of these trails are closed even if not posted according to Michigan Law. So just be careful when riding there, also the DNR does read some of the Forums.
There is a combination of motorcycle, ATV & Jeep trails there. Checking the MVUM is always a good idea, but I have a GPS with the loaded and have checked. 5912 has two sections that are only connected by an under 50" trail.

image-1875035385.png

post #22 of 26 Old 08-30-2012, 07:46 PM
sdault
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
There is a combination of motorcycle, ATV & Jeep trails there. Checking the MVUM is always a good idea, but I have a GPS with the loaded and have checked. 5912 has two sections that are only connected by an under 50" trail.

Attachment 462917
I don't always count on my GPS, the maps are outdated most of the time. I use mine every time I go out and have found many mistakes and closed roads. They are nice to help find your way and always wondered how I did without one.

The 2 sections of 5912 is connected by Linderman Rd., if you zoom in on the map you can see a light grey line next to the under 50" trail.
post #23 of 26 Old 02-23-2016, 07:51 PM
DJsJK
2014 JK Wrangler 

I'd like to try these. Where so you start at?
post #24 of 26 Old 02-25-2016, 09:42 AM
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Those are north of Muskegon. As said before some are legal and some are not, hard to tell. Also any road/trail marked "Seasonal Road" can be traveled on. In the National forests the roads/trails we can go on have a # which is often 4 digits like 5432. They are intermixed with private land so tread lightly.
The real nice trails to run are further north above Baldwin. Its possible to drive over 50 miles only crossing maybe 6-10 paved roads.
These would be Tin Cup, Upper and Lower Manistee and Lincoln Trails to name a few. They can all be found with printable maps at the DNR website.
SDAULT is the ABSOLUTE king of knowledge about these roads. He is not here a lot but what he says is always true.

Ron

Of all the things Ive lost
The one I miss most is my mind

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
post #25 of 26 Old 03-15-2016, 01:47 AM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

There is a MI-XK and WK page on facebook that has organized a few trail rides through Manistee and Yankee Springs so far. There will be more this year as well.
post #26 of 26 Old 03-15-2016, 01:49 AM
ggrassmid
2008 WK 

Quote:
I just looked this up and it's listed as a 50" or less trail, so not for us. I realize this posting is old, but for people joining and searching...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.