wheeling in west michigan - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Michigan Jeep Forum > wheeling in west michigan

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-28-2012, 06:58 PM   #16
bobjp

Where is it at?

Unread 08-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #17
dsjr2006
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp
Where is it at?
Cedar Creek Trail one entrance is right at Stonegate golf course off M120 just before Twin Lake.

05-08 WK Service Manual PDF: [url]http://bit.ly/VxI9z0[/url]
dsjr2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #18
sdault
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjr2006 View Post
Cedar Creek Trail one entrance is right at Stonegate golf course off M120 just before Twin Lake.
I thought this looked familiar! Was the mud hole in a valley of Sweeter Rd trail. up from the Stongate entrance? If so be very careful of the DNR, that area was posted "No Motor Vehicles" this summer and the signs were torn down. The Cedar Creek area is now mapped (MVUM map at National Forest site), if caught of closed trails you can be fined. Unfortunately it is up to us to know the open trails, just because it's there does not make it legal.

FYI - not trying to be a hard a**
sdault is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #19
dsjr2006
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdault View Post
I thought this looked familiar! Was the mud hole in a valley of Sweeter Rd trail. up from the Stongate entrance? If so be very careful of the DNR, that area was posted "No Motor Vehicles" this summer and the signs were torn down. The Cedar Creek area is now mapped (MVUM map at National Forest site), if caught of closed trails you can be fined. Unfortunately it is up to us to know the open trails, just because it's there does not make it legal.

FYI - not trying to be a hard a**
Yea, the mud pit is posted, but the trail around the outside of it is open to ORV. You have to basically go around the edge of the pit on the side trail to get to another trail anyways, my explanation might be a little confusing...

Anyways I didn't dare try to take on the posted area with the tires I had on anyways. Those pictures are of the posted section which I walked on foot. Dueller H/Ts suck everywhere but worse off-road.

Unread 08-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #20
sdault
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Yea, the mud pit is posted, but the trail around the outside of it is open to ORV. You have to basically go around the edge of the pit on the side trail to get to another trail anyways, my explanation might be a little confusing...

Anyways I didn't dare try to take on the posted area with the tires I had on anyways. Those pictures are of the posted section which I walked on foot. Dueller H/Ts suck everywhere but worse off-road.
Not confusing at all, been wheeling in that area for 30+ years. Hate to disappoint you but those trails are closed to ORV. If you check a copy of the MVUM for the Manistee NF you will find Sweeter Road is open (county rd.), Whitmire Rd. about 1.5 miles from Stonegate running north off Sweeter. Then the snowmobile trail from Whitmire to Linderman (not 100% sure about this trail). Linderman turns in to NF-5912 going south and dead ends. NF-9845 is a dead end off NF-5912 and there is a loop (NF-9842) of Whitmire. These are the only trails open to 4x4's. There is also a motorcycle trail system in the area closed to 4x4's. Sweeter Rd. and Linderman are also closed to unlicensed ORV's as may be Whitmire as they are county roads. Any two-track running of these trails are closed even if not posted according to Michigan Law. So just be careful when riding there, also the DNR does read some of the Forums.
Unread 08-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #21
dsjr2006
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdault

Not confusing at all, been wheeling in that area for 30+ years. Hate to disappoint you but those trails are closed to ORV. If you check a copy of the MVUM for the Manistee NF you will find Sweeter Road is open (county rd.), Whitmire Rd. about 1.5 miles from Stonegate running north off Sweeter. Then the snowmobile trail from Whitmire to Linderman (not 100% sure about this trail). Linderman turns in to NF-5912 going south and dead ends. NF-9845 is a dead end off NF-5912 and there is a loop (NF-9842) of Whitmire. These are the only trails open to 4x4's. There is also a motorcycle trail system in the area closed to 4x4's. Sweeter Rd. and Linderman are also closed to unlicensed ORV's as may be Whitmire as they are county roads. Any two-track running of these trails are closed even if not posted according to Michigan Law. So just be careful when riding there, also the DNR does read some of the Forums.
There is a combination of motorcycle, ATV & Jeep trails there. Checking the MVUM is always a good idea, but I have a GPS with the loaded and have checked. 5912 has two sections that are only connected by an under 50" trail.

image-1875035385.png

Unread 08-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #22
sdault
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
There is a combination of motorcycle, ATV & Jeep trails there. Checking the MVUM is always a good idea, but I have a GPS with the loaded and have checked. 5912 has two sections that are only connected by an under 50" trail.

Attachment 462917
I don't always count on my GPS, the maps are outdated most of the time. I use mine every time I go out and have found many mistakes and closed roads. They are nice to help find your way and always wondered how I did without one.

The 2 sections of 5912 is connected by Linderman Rd., if you zoom in on the map you can see a light grey line next to the under 50" trail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.