Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your xj/mj/tj/zj/wj/wk/lj/jk thread

301K views 8K replies 101 participants last post by  Jason 
#1 ·
What did you do to your xj/zj/wj/mj/cj/tj/yj/wk/CJ, FSJ, KK, KJ, etc. thread

didnt see a thread in the michigan area for what did you do to your jeep today. figure to start one. :laugh:

today i got my jeep xj ready for winter and made sure all my gear is in there. also tested my winch for the winter.

#270 ·
an xj isnt bad. how are the grand cherokee models zj's and wj's?

#274 ·
:laugh: i meant how is a zj/wj compare to a xj? i know the wj has a better interior than xj does. a wj probley rides alot better than xj.

#273 ·
4.56s FTMFW. :2thumbsup:

Since the weather is nice and dry, I pulled the cover off the Jeep and removed the rear driveshaft. I have 4.56s installed in the rear, but 3.73s in the front since I have a yet-to-be installed replacement front with matching 4.56s. I drove up and down my road with only the front DS in to take some notes on speed vs RPM using my GPS. Came back home and pulled the front DS and put the rear back in. It was a world of difference. Almost like driving in low range. Now that I know nothing came flying apart in the rear, I'm going to get working on getting the new front axle in.

#276 ·
thunderdan2000 said:
Wj is set up for more luxuries than an Xj is. They have different 4 wheel drive systems. They have the standard like the XJ's but also have ones that kick in automatically.
This lol. But as far as a zj goes. Its not quite on part with a wj but what do you expect from an older model. Zj compaired to xj, zj hands down. More room waaay more luxuries. Could get a 5.2 v-8. Pretty much the same suspension as a tj. Only down side is alot of zj's and dubs came with awd.

#277 ·
i never knew wj had 2 four wheel drive systems. i would like to get wj for a daily driver and build up the xj. :D i dont see this happening for awhile. my xj going to be dd and weekend wheeler for a bit. anyways i want to go wheeling next weekend after work. i am thinking of going to the mounds mt morris again. can anyone go? going to ask my friend from work it would be awesome to get a group of us going.

#278 ·
Dubs and zj's both came with a mix of t-cases. They both came with 231's and 242's but then they also made all wheel drive t-cases. Im not sure what the wjs awd case is but i know a zjs is a np-249. All v8's came with them and sum 4.0's. Its simple to swap out the case with a 2wheel case. I did it with both of my zj's.

#282 ·
pretty soon i will order a membership for here. didnt do anything to the jeep today went to work and after work went to go get gas and went back home. anyways trying to get a group to go to the mounds orv park in mt morris anyone interested going this weekend?

#284 ·
going to the mounds orv park this weekend for wheeling. i cant wait for my tax return. :D

#287 ·
Manuals FTW.

Well the weather was nice so I took mine up and down the road again. I got my GoPro and attached it to the bumper, pointed at the suspension. There's always been a very very slight shimmy at 45 mph that I never cared to diagnose. The video is pretty boring, so I won't bother posting it. :laugh:

I am getting ready to weld the axle mount on. I grabbed a piece of scrap 1 inch and 1/8, which is the same size as the mount and housing, and worked on getting my settings right. I tried a couple runs with my stick welder and my MIG to see what I liked better. I was worried that my MIG might not get enough bite on the 1" thick material.

I have a couple fab requests coming in, sooooo I might have to put my stuff on hold for a bit. :)

#289 ·
Yup trannys acting up. Looking into a rebuild or a used tranny if a rebuilds to expensive.

Man this sucks. :(

But on a good note im repainting everything this weekend
If you get a good rebuild price let me know. I haven't check on the jeep, but other cars I had was $2500+ Damn my jeep isn't even worth that much. :laugh:

I need to figure out what years are interchangeable. :brickwall

#292 ·
going wheeling this weekend to the mounds orv park. my friend from work is going in his xj and i am going and my girl friend going to tag along. would like to get a group of ppl to go. i am going to leave saturday morning around 11:00am to get their by 12:00pm and to about 5:00pm.

#295 ·
suppose to get 1-2" of snow. anyways the mounds is alot of fun in the rock course and trails areas. the mounds also has alot of mud area. its going to be a fun time.:D

#296 ·
My 42RLE was $2600 for the first rebuild at a commercial trans shop (Cottman), drove it there and picked it up ready to go. I found a better solution for the second rebuild, cost me about $900 and got much better feel from the guy doing the work - he is a Jeep guy and actually knew which end of a Chrsyler trans was supposed to face the front. I will not use Cottman in Flint again.

#298 ·
I called them ********. They guy on the phone kept talking to me like I was an idiot when I ask if they could get shift solenoids. He finally said I didn't know what I was talking about and I need a trans rebuild. I said dang you are good, You can diagnosis my trans without even seeing it, and hung up. :rolleyes:

#300 ·
72k went swimming, did not work so good

122k second time, not sure but probably my fault too. The original symptom was a bad OD lockup solenoid, but after digging into it the TC was shot, and debris from that seemed to have taken out the solenoid.

Unfortunately I like my auto trans but I am not a gentle auto trans user. Camper towing at or over the mfg reccommendation, playing in any rock garden I can find, got it warm a couple of times, I lead trails on a winter run every year through moderate snow (lots of hills), and in general push my mostly stock Jeep about as hard as anyone would push their DD. I'm still not convinced it was not due at least in part to issues from the first rebuild, though - it never shifted as firm, made some weird noises, and generally felt "mushy" after the first rebuild.

#301 ·
All of this was despite the fact that I was promised a HD valve body and wherever possible HD parts.

When it was rebuilt the second time, my new trans guy noted an issue while he was working on it tjhat he says is common on 2005-2006 42RLE...but mine is a 2004. Wondering if I just got a generic rebuild the first tie around?

#302 ·
Removed my front axle. Trashed my TRE boots on the way. Oops, guess I have to upgrade the tie-rod. :rolleyes: :p :D

Drained the fluid. Looked good. The wear pattern was REALLY good on the gears. Pulled the calipers and rotors. Trying to decide if I want to upgrade the brakes (WJ conversion, or maybe Vanco) while I have it all apart, or just button it back up with the TJ stuff, which is in good condition.

#303 ·
Today:

I never bothered to remove the sway bar link bolts from the the "new" axle. Turns out they interfere with a bracket I use to raise my trackbar. The bolts wouldn't come out, so I ended up drilling them out. Took most of the morning.

Removed unit bearings, knuckles, axle shafts from my old D30. Noted a few differences between the two axles' unit bearings and rotors. Had a ***** of a time pressing out and replacing the U-Joints. I think I'm just going to run the TJ brakes and steering for now to get the axle back under the Jeep. I need to spend more time doing homework to make an informed decision on the path to take. I know I want adjustable arms and SYE, so that may come first, before spring.

#305 ·
Sad day today. I retired my WalMart battery after many years of faithful service. Not the same battery of course, replaced under warranty several times - it never liked my winch, lights, and multiple radios. But I figured it was time for a real battery and after all of the bad feedback on Optima lately I pit a Diehard Platinum in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.