What did you do to your xj/mj/tj/zj/wj/wk/lj/jk thread - Page 55 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Michigan Jeep Forum > What did you do to your xj/mj/tj/zj/wj/wk/lj/jk thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 05-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #811
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap5.0 View Post
Hey jason, on yjs in order to change the rear pinion angle you can either cut/weld your spring brackets or use shims.

from the reading I've been doing I figured out the lca's are what control pinion angle right?

What purpose do aftermarket uca's serve
Aftermarket CAs should serve a few purposes; flex better than stock, control axle movement, center the axle and correct pinion angle. The length of upper and lower control arms work together to control the pinion angle. You can use adjustable rear uppers to change your pinion angle, but rotating the axle back by lengthening the uppers without shortening the lowers will cause the wheel to be un-centered in the wheel well at full bump, especially with lengthened, fixed lowers like most kits include.

That being said, there are apparently some little knockouts on the UCA mount on the axle side that you can knock out and use a cammed bolt to adjust the pinion angle slightly. I just learned of this the other day and don't have any real experience with it. I do know cammed bolts have the potential to move around and loose their adjustment.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #812
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Adding too this:

If it was a hardline, replace them all now along with any other cheap componet while your there.

Use prebent lines unless your a pro with brake lines and the double flare tool. They may seem expensive, but they are so worth it. That is first hand experience btw....
I've replaced more hardlines than I care to admit, and never used a prebent one on a brake line. I keep 25 ft spools around for repairs. Unless you're doing a full replacement and/or a museum restoration, I don't see the need for the prebent lines. The bends on the repairs don't need to be perfect, they just have to function. Most people driving vehicles old enough be blowing the brake lines can't afford the full prebent replacements.

Unread 05-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #813
thunderdan2000
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you pump the pedal does it build pressure that goes away?
Nope, its dead all the way no matter how much I pump them. I have heard horror stories about the DYI brake lines. Could a wheel cylinder be a possible issue?
thunderdan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #814
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I suggested pre bents for one reason only, for speed and ease of install.

I had to put all new lines on my yj last fall, I think the learning curve made it worse that it normally is, but getting the lines to follow the frame was rough, then getting the flare tool to flare correctly was hell.

I think my lines ran me $50 after mistakes. For $190 I could of had ss lines that were pre bent.
--chris-- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #815
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderdan2000 View Post
Nope, its dead all the way no matter how much I pump them. I have heard horror stories about the DYI brake lines. Could a wheel cylinder be a possible issue?
If you already pumped all the fluid out of it, it would not pump up. It could be a wheel cylinder, but blown line seems more likely. Have to find out where the fluid is leaking from.
Unread 05-04-2012, 04:53 AM   #816
thunderdan2000
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Right now fluid is leaking ,INTO MY BASEMENT. I have a foot and a half of water and still rising. Sump pump don't fail me now!!!!
Unread 05-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #817
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderdan2000 View Post
Right now fluid is leaking ,INTO MY BASEMENT. I have a foot and a half of water and still rising. Sump pump don't fail me now!!!!
Yeah, not kidding. It rained a bunch. I thought I had a leak in my basement, but it was condensation dripping from the pipes.
Unread 05-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #818
phittie1100
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Needed a canoe to get to work this morning. Haven't seen flooding this bad around here in a long time. They are saying as much as 6.5" in the last 24 hours right in the bullseye...I live in Burton right on the right side of the bullseye.

http://www.weather.com/news/michigan...oding-20120504
Unread 05-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #819
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Should've taken a sick day!
Unread 05-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #820
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

No **** guys!

Yall really got it, e only got 2" here in Lapeer. Im glad i spent 4 hours transplanting my hedgerow of lilacs yesterday No watering needed today thats for sure lol....
Unread 05-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #821
thunderdan2000
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just down the road from me. At least my house wasn't that bad.

So cheap, you are from Lapeer? I grew up there.
img_20120504_095855.jpg  

Last edited by thunderdan2000; 05-04-2012 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: photo didn't load
Unread 05-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #822
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

All you guys east of me -- Any experience with HW Motorhomes in Canton? I might head out there this weekend to look at truck campers and toy haulers.
Unread 05-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #823
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
All you guys east of me -- Any experience with HW Motorhomes in Canton? I might head out there this weekend to look at truck campers and toy haulers.
@ dan yep, im from lapeer-tucky. Born/raised.

We are somehow out of power lol...the lady at dte said we r part of 200 people out. Wtf

@ jason I can't comment. We did rent a rv from the place in birchrun, which we found a big nest of hay in the engine bay....after we drove it to apalachacola florida.
Unread 05-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #824
JeepXJMike20
1996 XJ Cherokee 

no power outage here but if i did i have a generator.
4.5" Rough Country x series lift kit/ lifted xj 31x10.50 15x8 4"backspacing cragar rims/ trimmed front rear fenders/custom swaybar quick disconnects/custom winch bumper w/ warn winch/custom roof rack/ lights mounted.
my build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-jeep-build-xj-1156115/index3.html
JeepXJMike20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #825
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I picked up a subaru powered 6500 geny 3 years ago. I've used it atleast 6 times since then for power outages.

I can live without electricity, my wife however drives me nuts with boredom without juice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.