What did you do to your xj/mj/tj/zj/wj/wk/lj/jk thread - Page 54 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Michigan Jeep Forum > What did you do to your xj/mj/tj/zj/wj/wk/lj/jk thread

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-03-2012, 06:14 AM   #796
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I didn't post pics before?? 2006 GMC 2500HD. Duramax / Allison / 33s.

About 400hp, 700 ft-lbs of torque.

[IMG]http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv209/jason44406/0406021853a.jpg[/IM G]
Not since ive been lurking around here.

Beautiful truck btw, ive always wanted to get a truck and have fun with it...but my commute would end up putting more money in the tank than my mortgage

--chris-- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #797
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I get better gas mileage than your Jeep. I had a beautiful half-ton that I never would have sold, but the white truck tows better and gets better gas mileage with the diesel.

Since this page is full of pics:

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #798
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I get better gas mileage than your Jeep. I had a beautiful half-ton that I never would have sold, but the white truck tows better and gets better gas mileage with the diesel.

Since this page is full of pics:

[IMG]http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv209/jason44406/Atlanta%20MI%20%20Sept%2011/100_1732.jpg[/IM G]
Ignorant I am, but also excited now....

I just assumed, since my friends HD gasser was getting around 8-10 mpg the last time i borrowed it.
Unread 05-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #799
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The 6.0 gassers on the GM trucks get terrible mileage.

Here's my experience:
I think my Jeep gets around 14-16 MPG w/33s and 4" lift. I haven't been able to calculate an accurate tank yet this year, and the prior calculations were corrected for speedo inaccuracies. Most of it's life has been offroad last year as well. Best I ever got was 20 with the hard top on and stock 30" tires, all freeway and a severe hangover.

I had a F-250 EC/LB 4x4 gasser. 460 CI big block. It got 8 mpg when I bought it. 10 after I tuned it up and liberated the cat. I forget what gears it had, but it had a C6 trans, so no overdrive. It turned about 3000 RPM on the freeway. No muffler either. It was obnoxious. It got 10 whether I was hauling or empty because it was such a beast.

After that, I bought the red half-ton above. EC/SB 4x4. That had the L33 5.3 and 4L60E. Super engine. Stupid trans. It had the some-what rare 4.10 gears. 100% stock. If I really babied it, I could get almost 20 MPG going 55 MPH. I could get like 17 or 18 on the freeway. Real world, I got 15 or 16. Towing the Jeep dropped to 11. The MPGs calculated on the dash display were always within a few tenths of my hand calc.

Bring on the diesel. Also EC/SB 4x4. LBZ duramax / 6 speed Allison tranny (best combo every built, IMO). 3.73s, MBRP exhaust and the cat went missing on this one too. It's lifted a tiny bit, and has the 33s on it. I got over 20 MPG (22? I don't remember exactly) driving on the freeway when I brought it home (65-70 MPH). Since I've been working on it, there's been alot of stop and go, and idling. I've only run one tank with decent driving on it, mostly around town, and it got 19 hand calc. (This one is about 1 MPG off on the dash display.) I haven't had a chance to tow with it yet.

That's why diesels kick ***. Better power and better mileage. Downsides are the fuel costs a bit more and (proper) maintenance is expensive.
Unread 05-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #800
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What's expensive about maintaining the diesels?

Im not saying we maintained the trucks correctly, or even maintained them that well
....but we.had some isuzu turbo diesels that we put over 300k miles on them without more than oil changes lol.

What were we supposed to be doing with them?
Unread 05-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #801
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

This thing takes 10 quarts of oil. That's 2.5 gallons. The oil itself is somewhat cheaper when you compare quart to quart price, but it takes twice as much.

Allison transmission fluid is almost $50 per gallon. Two gallons for a drain and fill. And that's not even the entire capacity.

Fuel filters should be changed every other oil change, at least. $35 apiece.

I run a fuel additive. Probably not necessary in the summer, but need in the winter to prevent the fuel from gelling. $10? For 100 gallon treatment.
Unread 05-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #802
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I see what you mean, yeah I remember the oil changes were about $80 on those.

What kind of work would the usual 200k mile diesel need? This is pure curiosity, I don't plan on buying haha....
Unread 05-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #803
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Depends on the engine really. I know some of them have their quarks. Like the earlier Duramaxes had injector issues, so you'd want one that's had them replaced at that point. The Ford 6.0s had head gasket and EGR issues; so look for one that's be studded and deleted. You just have to research the specific motor.
Unread 05-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #804
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I see. Diesels have that torque...oh god I love the push you get when u mash the pedal on a turbo diesel truck. If my wife seen me posting this she would tell me to go get one, she likes the ford supers more than just about anything.

How do you feel about the ford eco boost engines in the truck? Im a big proponent of turbos, they just rock when done from the factory. It will be interesting to see how they hold up in 5 years.....
Unread 05-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #805
thunderdan2000
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had to put the hard top back on the YJ. When driving home from class Wed, I hit the brakes on my XJ. Felt a pop and surprise, no more brakes. Well i could stop If I had a ton of room. Going to climb under there tomorrow and see whats going on.
thunderdan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #806
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you pump the pedal does it build pressure that goes away?
Unread 05-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #807
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap5.0 View Post
I see. Diesels have that torque...oh god I love the push you get when u mash the pedal on a turbo diesel truck. If my wife seen me posting this she would tell me to go get one, she likes the ford supers more than just about anything.

How do you feel about the ford eco boost engines in the truck? Im a big proponent of turbos, they just rock when done from the factory. It will be interesting to see how they hold up in 5 years.....
I really liked the Fords, and I really thought I would end up with one simply because there are more of them.

I don't know anything about the ecoboost engines. I do know the newer F150s have a lot of payload capacity.
Unread 05-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #808
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderdan2000 View Post
I had to put the hard top back on the YJ. When driving home from class Wed, I hit the brakes on my XJ. Felt a pop and surprise, no more brakes. Well i could stop If I had a ton of room. Going to climb under there tomorrow and see whats going on.
That pop was probably a brake line exploding. Look for the leak. You have some brakes because one of the circuits (front or rear) still has pressure.
Unread 05-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #809
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hey jason, on yjs in order to change the rear pinion angle you can either cut/weld your spring brackets or use shims.

from the reading I've been doing I figured out the lca's are what control pinion angle right?

What purpose do aftermarket uca's serve
Unread 05-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #810
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason

That pop was probably a brake line exploding. Look for the leak. You have some brakes because one of the circuits (front or rear) still has pressure.
Adding too this:

If it was a hardline, replace them all now along with any other cheap componet while your there.

Use prebent lines unless your a pro with brake lines and the double flare tool. They may seem expensive, but they are so worth it. That is first hand experience btw....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.