What did you do to your xj/mj/tj/zj/wj/wk/lj/jk thread - Page 51 - JeepForum.com

 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #751 of 8424 Old 04-30-2012, 09:46 AM
--chris--
Registered User
 
--chris--'s Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,144
Hey jason there is a skyjacker 2.5" lift with new shocks, 3 year old front/rear springs, t case drop and quick discos for 250 obo near me.

A quick look shows they are around 600 new. No control arms, and im wondering how those springs hold up after 3 years.

--chris-- is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #752 of 8424 Old 04-30-2012, 09:50 AM
--chris--
Registered User
 
--chris--'s Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,144
Actually it does have control arms, but I only see 4 in the pic.
--chris-- is offline  
post #753 of 8424 Old 04-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Jason
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Eaton Rapids
Posts: 6,565
Ball joints or control arm bushing are the only wear items I can think of that may affect caster.

However, I would look over everything for the darting / wandering issue. Pay attention to the trackbar bushings and TREs. Have someone turn the steering wheel left and right while you look at the components.
Jason is offline  
post #754 of 8424 Old 04-30-2012, 10:01 AM
--chris--
Registered User
 
--chris--'s Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,144
My in laws are here for the week, whenever it stops raining ill head out and have him turn the wheel for me.
--chris-- is offline  
post #755 of 8424 Old 04-30-2012, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
JeepXJMike20
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Saginaw
Posts: 1,175
hey guys i am back i went on vacation a four day weekend up north to kewadin casino and hotel. had a fun time. hit 75 dollars on a $1 slot machine. day before i left i took the jeep into my dad friend welding shop and redo my driveshaft and cut a bit more off the outtershaft of the transfercase. have awesome pictures to upload of the jeep in the shop/ and vacation pictures. how is everyone doing on here?

4.5" Rough Country x series lift kit/ lifted xj 31x10.50 15x8 4"backspacing cragar rims/ trimmed front rear fenders/custom swaybar quick disconnects/custom winch bumper w/ warn winch/custom roof rack/ lights mounted.
my build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-jeep-build-xj-1156115/index3.html
JeepXJMike20 is offline  
post #756 of 8424 Old 04-30-2012, 06:25 PM
Jason
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Eaton Rapids
Posts: 6,565
Cheap had a baby.

I have the worst luck in the world.

Much BS in between.

Consider yourself updated.
Jason is offline  
post #757 of 8424 Old 04-30-2012, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
JeepXJMike20
Registered User
1996 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Saginaw
Posts: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Cheap had a baby.

I have the worst luck in the world.

Much BS in between.

Consider yourself updated.
haha lol/ not much going on i guess.


and congrats to cheap5.0

4.5" Rough Country x series lift kit/ lifted xj 31x10.50 15x8 4"backspacing cragar rims/ trimmed front rear fenders/custom swaybar quick disconnects/custom winch bumper w/ warn winch/custom roof rack/ lights mounted.
my build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-jeep-build-xj-1156115/index3.html
JeepXJMike20 is offline  
post #758 of 8424 Old 04-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Jason
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Eaton Rapids
Posts: 6,565
I'm trying to buy a camper or toy hauler. I replaced a front axle seal, now one of the rears is leaking. You can read about it all a few pages back if you're interested.

Did you end up bringing money home from the casino?
Jason is offline  
post #759 of 8424 Old 04-30-2012, 08:15 PM
--chris--
Registered User
 
--chris--'s Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepXJMike20 View Post
hey guys i am back i went on vacation a four day weekend up north to kewadin casino and hotel. had a fun time. hit 75 dollars on a $1 slot machine. day before i left i took the jeep into my dad friend welding shop and redo my driveshaft and cut a bit more off the outtershaft of the transfercase. have awesome pictures to upload of the jeep in the shop/ and vacation pictures. how is everyone doing on here?
NICE! My chick and I went to Tampa two years ago for a trade show in Orlando. We hit the Hard Rock while in town, took a $20 and put it into the $1 machine. After about 12 pulls we had $550 lol. We turned around, and walked right out.

The Fillet dinner i had that night never tasted so good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Cheap had a baby.

I have the worst luck in the world.

Much BS in between.

Consider yourself updated.
Yup, thats the cliffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepXJMike20 View Post
haha lol/ not much going on i guess.


and congrats to cheap5.0
Thanks! The little guy has his nights and days all mixed up, im just glad i have the week off....hopefully he starts to get back in line with us by next week.

He sleeps all day, up maybe an hour total. Then he "wakes up" around 11 pm and sleeps sporadicly until about 10 am then he is out for the day. We asked the doc about waking him up through out the day to wear him out for the night time, but he said dont. Theres some physiological reason that they do this, and they will eventually convert over.

Jason, im sure you have done a lot of reading on engine swaps. Im fascinated with the idea of the GM III truck engines in a TJ. Novak has some really good info on there site, as well as lt1swaps.com and JF.
--chris-- is offline  
post #760 of 8424 Old 04-30-2012, 08:24 PM
Jason
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Eaton Rapids
Posts: 6,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap5.0 View Post
Jason, im sure you have done a lot of reading on engine swaps. Im fascinated with the idea of the GM III truck engines in a TJ. Novak has some really good info on there site, as well as lt1swaps.com and JF.
Dude. My 1/2 ton had the aluminum (L33) 5.3L V8. That motor freaking rocked. It really liked to rev. It always seemed odd to run a V8 that high, but it worked well up there. I love the sound of the newer GM V8s. It would have been badass in the Jeep.

There are some clearance issues (longitudinally, not in the engine bay) because of the short wheelbase. I personally like the factory gauges to work -- not sure if that's possible with the GM engine. Expensive too. If you got the cash, it's a way cool project.

Hmmm.. Wonder if a ZF6 would mate up to that engine...?
Jason is offline  
post #761 of 8424 Old 04-30-2012, 09:01 PM
--chris--
Registered User
 
--chris--'s Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Dude. My 1/2 ton had the aluminum (L33) 5.3L V8. That motor freaking rocked. It really liked to rev. It always seemed odd to run a V8 that high, but it worked well up there. I love the sound of the newer GM V8s. It would have been badass in the Jeep.

There are some clearance issues (longitudinally, not in the engine bay) because of the short wheelbase. I personally like the factory gauges to work -- not sure if that's possible with the GM engine. Expensive too. If you got the cash, it's a way cool project.

Hmmm.. Wonder if a ZF6 would mate up to that engine...?
Ive listened/watched all the L33 TJ vids i could find on youtube, yes...probably the best V8 setup you can put in a TJ right now. The only thing i would prefer to it is a cummins swap, but thats quite a bit further our of reach than the L33.

What kind of clearance issues have you seen? AFAIK, with novak adapters and a manual trans with the NP231J/C the rear drive shaft is actually about 1" longer.

As for the gauges, ive seen maybe 2 people get all of them to work properly. On paper (forums) i see many people claim its as easy as just keeping the jeep computer in it to run the gauges, and the chevy PCM to run the powertrain. But in reality i have not seen a single person post a picture/video with this functioning setup.

Of the two that got them to work, one took his dash apart and replaced all the factory gauges with after market gauges and made it look "factory".

I see a mod on here that lives in Michigan has a TJ with a 318 from a GC, and he used the factory gauges from that (looks great, chrome needles and all) because it was actually the easiest thing to do. As far as the engines PCM knows, its still running in a GC lol.

The last real hurdle for me is the cost, $3-4K for the complete power train w/harness and PCM. If i still have this TJ in a few years, its something ill look into very seriously.
--chris-- is offline  
post #762 of 8424 Old 04-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Jason
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Eaton Rapids
Posts: 6,565
Cummins (or any diesel) is soooo heavy though...

I was theorizing on the length challenges, mostly with the transmissions. What manual is shorter? What about the autos?

Wheelin98TJ has the V8 in his TJ. IIRC, it wasn't exactly easy.

There are other 5.3L out there, I just really liked the L33.

Cost is always the hurdle.
Jason is offline  
post #763 of 8424 Old 04-30-2012, 09:35 PM
--chris--
Registered User
 
--chris--'s Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Cummins (or any diesel) is soooo heavy though...

I was theorizing on the length challenges, mostly with the transmissions. What manual is shorter? What about the autos?

Wheelin98TJ has the V8 in his TJ. IIRC, it wasn't exactly easy.

There are other 5.3L out there, I just really liked the L33.

Cost is always the hurdle.
The trade off with those 4BT swaps is the MPGs!!! Some guy on here swapped one out of a Little Debbies delivery truck, untuned and running without an OD on the highway he was getting 23 mpg. I think he said 26-28 should be very achievable with a slight cpu tweak and an overdrive/larger tires.

Yeah, wheelin is the guy. I know his was a real ***** because i see he advises people to just go wtih a chevy everytime the question about using dodge engines comes up.

As for the drivetrain length, the I6 is usually a few inches longer than the SBC's mounted with a Novak kit that requires a electric fan.

The weight is almost a wash, the SBC's with aluminum heads is about 480 and the I6 is 420'sh.
--chris-- is offline  
post #764 of 8424 Old 05-01-2012, 07:32 AM
Jason
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Eaton Rapids
Posts: 6,565
I wish they would have just put a diesel in them from the factory (like the export models). So stupid that we can't get them here. If there was a diesel in a JK, I would buy one now. Like, get out of my chair and buy one, right now.

I liked the idea of a stroked I6. Seems like an easier swap.
Jason is offline  
post #765 of 8424 Old 05-01-2012, 07:41 AM
--chris--
Registered User
 
--chris--'s Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I wish they would have just put a diesel in them from the factory (like the export models). So stupid that we can't get them here. If there was a diesel in a JK, I would buy one now. Like, get out of my chair and buy one, right now.

I liked the idea of a stroked I6. Seems like an easier swap.
X2 on both accounts.

Stroking a 4.0 is probably what ill do if i ever do anything that drastic. It can be done cheap (+1), and it can be done right for cheap (+10000). There is no cheap way that is also right with a Gen 3 swap.

Have you familiarized yourself with jeepstrokers.com? There are a few "recipes" on there that make it look quite easy.

I have not done enough reading on it though, how do people handle the computer/fuel?
--chris-- is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Official Rothbury Thread tofuzeppelin Michigan Jeep Forum 3 12-20-2010 07:20 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome