JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Michigan Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f325/)
-   -   Upper Penninsula Michigan trails? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f325/upper-penninsula-michigan-trails-862459/)

jahlborn 09-21-2009 05:21 PM

Upper Penninsula Michigan trails?

Hey all, I'm from houghton, MI up on the western side of the UP. If anyone wants to go check out some trails or know any around the area that would be great!

tsalmeto 10-17-2009 04:40 PM

I haven't been up that way in a few years, but if you go to the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula Highway 41 ends and you can continue on the dirt roads. Some of them get rough where you wouldn't take a car. It's a nice drive and a pretty deserted area. I don't know of any specific trails though. Anyone else?

WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR 10-26-2009 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsalmeto (Post 8121863)
I haven't been up that way in a few years, but if you go to the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula Highway 41 ends and you can continue on the dirt roads. Some of them get rough where you wouldn't take a car. It's a nice drive and a pretty deserted area. I don't know of any specific trails though. Anyone else?

I went there this past summer, and the summer before that, and unfortunately they're renovating the roads, making it more accessible for everyone. I kinda liked the fact that you had to have somewhat higher clearance to make it through. There are still a few bumpy parts here and there, but almost anyone can make it there. From what I remember, the hardest parts were the trails to Hoar Lake, as well as some road leading to Schlatter Lake. A very scenic area though. I highly recommend it, especially if you're in Houghton. I made the drive up there from Chicago twice, about a 10 hr drive total, from my house to Schlatter or Highrock Bay.

Greeeeenberg 10-30-2009 03:54 PM

Cool another techie. I can show you a few let me know sometime when you wanna go.
They are mostly snowmoblie trails/loggin roads.

jahlborn 10-30-2009 05:48 PM

Haha well I'm no techie, just a local highschooler that wants to leanr everything about jeeps but doesn't know anything yet. Sadly I'm selling my Cherokee at the moment but maybe next summer? I'll have another by then.

Greeeeenberg 10-30-2009 05:57 PM

why the sell?

jahlborn 10-30-2009 06:16 PM

I have the opportunity to get a newer wrangler. My Cherokee that I'm seeking is actually in pretty good condition except for the rust. It's in the classifieds and on craigslist. It's parked at 1116 7th avenue if you or any of your buddes wanna take a look.

92XJT 10-31-2009 09:45 AM

I've noticed a lot of the old trails I use to wheel are being shut down / blocked off. The rocky section of cliff drive is blocked off for trucks now - was a fun little section. Now when I go back to Calumet to visit I only bring my quad - lot cheaper to haul up there - lol.

The time now is 01:57 PM.